Sphenoid Sinusitis?

Posted , 15 users are following.

I'm seriously worried about my girlfriend. She's had a few very bad sinus infections in the past few years but for practically the whole year she's been in tears with pain everyday and has been house-bound for the past year (she is only 20) and has tried courses of all different types of antibiotics, etc. She was told in March that she had viral meningitis and after 6 weeks of rest or so it eventually got better but she still had a dull headache.

We were both so relieved when she was like this again and it seemed she was going to get well, but then a few weeks later she started with bad headaches again every day and she also found that she got out of breath very easily (she used to suffer from asthma and this was suspected at first). She had 2 weeks of injections of antibiotics and was told she had an ear infection, the treatment didn't help. She then had several more courses of antibiotics and was eventually told that she had pericarditis which was why she was unable to breathe. She has had increasingly bad headaches since then and is repeatedly told that it is Sinusitis. She has just finished another course of antibiotics which helped at first but she is now in as much pain if not worse. Iburprofen, painkillers, codeine, etc. no longer relieve the pain. Repeatedly throughout the past year her blood tests have shown to have bacteria and virus infections which have not gone away.

Today she has been told that she could have Sphenoid Sinusitis (which could have caused viral meningitis) and that she would need a CT scan with Iodine injected, although she has anaphylaxis and is dangerously allergic to lots of things and has been told there's a risk that it could kill her in minutes if she has the scan.

I'm scared, I love her with all my heart and I just want her to get better, she's in so much pain every day and I need someone to help! Can anyone please suggest things which will help, she has tried practically everything - can anyone offer a diagnosis? What should she do?!

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hello, I am wondering if your girl friend has resolved this issue ? Interested to know as I am going through the similar situation.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with isolated left sphenoid sinusitis in 2002 I went to the doctor due to horrible headache located on the upper back left side of head it feels like an ax is being taken to my head over and over. Long story short I ended up having 12 sinus surgeries that last 5 were done while I underwent an intense treatment program of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, IV antibiotics and weekly debridements, I underwent that program in Nov 2008 for 5-6 weeks it wasn't easy to undergo but after 6 years of pure hell it was worth it, the doctor that treated me gave me 5 really good years, I still ended up having at least 1 sinus infection every year but very mild nothing like before unfortunately in 2013 I got my first horrible infection again in the sphenoid and bam everything came back and just my luck the doctor that treated me is no longer in practice he was an elderly doctor so I believe he retired and till this day I still haven't found a new ENT doctor that can help me, I am currently undergoing IV antibiotics but no doctor with follow the other program that helped me so much. I have been doing IV antibiotics going on 5 weeks now, I do feel better no doubt about that but I am not even close to be cured. I am feeling pretty doomed right now. Many don't understand the hell someone goes through with this disease it's plain awful, the headaches and neck pain are just killing me even though I see a pain management doctor and get some relief it's not the same as not having them at all not only that the headaches just get worse as time goes on. I wish the best of luck to all and if anyone know of a ENT doctor that specializes in sphenoid sinus disease in the Denver area I would love to get their name

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.