Spinal block or completely out

Posted , 15 users are following.

Yes me again and still troubled lol x just want to throw it out there to all you who have had hip replacement . ..what's best spinal block or completely out let me know your feelings on this one please xx just don't know what to do that's if I even get a choice I suppose lol xx

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Next
  • Posted

There Was no way i was having it done under anything other than a general, when i told the anethatist he asked do you want looked at my face and shaking hand and said no you dont, then sorted the ga.
  • Posted

Totally knocked out works for me. I find I recover quite quickly. But saying that I can't have spinal any way. 
  • Posted

Spinal is supposed to be easier to recover from.

With spinal, you can choose just how much sedation you want.  

From none at all (me, listened tomy ipod and the surgeon's commentary), to 'totally out of it' where you know absolutely nothing.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

So if your given ga are you also given spinal sorry I don't know much about it am seeing my consultant Thursday guess he will tell me more xx
    • Posted

You either get a General, or a Spinal with sedation.

No problem, I'm not medically trained, it's all a learning curve.

With the General anaestetic, you get a jab in your arm, and wake up after the op.

With the spinal, you get the jab in the back (spine), which numbs the lower half of your body completely, then they add sedation (or not in my case lol) to either relax you, or put you out completely.  The anethetist will discuss how much sedation you want - just let him know.  I opted for none, but added that if in his opinion I needed some during the operation (like if I became agitated), he was free to give me what ever he thought medically best.

If you have max sedation, you wake up after the op, but are still unable to feel the pain below the waist.

If in doubt, keep asking them questions until you are satisfied.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

I had both and the spinal isn't that bad recovery is better than full ga you get a bit of discomfort as they put it in but the light ga puts you out
  • Posted

I had the block coz I'm louder with full A. I'm not a panicky nervy person and love all hospital programmes and nosey lol. It was the most surreal experience! I also chose no sedation, but could have had it at a seconds notice!!

They played Adele. The Surgeon and I sang Someone like You! He talked about his cooking skills etc, Anaethatist answered every question re what he was putting into my canular. There Was sawing lol and huge amount of hammering!! Thought my teeth would fall out lol, but of pulling sensation but obv u feel nothing.within 4 hours all feeling in legs feet etc was back. Totally Brilliant ( if you're crazy like me) lol

• Posted

Vanessa,

Gaby and I are of the same type - we both went for no sedation.

I had to provide my own music as my surgeon did not have any (should I get a refund?).

It was interesting hearing him explaining to an observer (unseen by me) exactly what he was doing, hearing him doing things but not being able to feel it.

As Gaby says, there is some noise (the saw, and when he reamed out the acetabular socket, and drilled for the screws, and hammering in the new socket and the femoral stem) which is not for the faint hearted.

We must both be crazy, but for me it was (hopefully) a once-in-a-lifetime experience.

There are also instructive videos on YouTube if you have hot heard enough already lol.

Regards,

​Graham

• Posted

No way i dont even want to know what they have put in me dont want any details

Or watch utube ha ha

• Posted

I was scarred of what choice to make butwhen i met my lovely anaethetist i went for the spinal and heavy sedation and it was the best

I didnt see or hear anything and recovered quicker then ga

• Posted

Soglad you had a good anethetist - I must say mine was wonderful, put me at ease straight away, and kept checking that I was OK throughout the operation.

Very quick recovery.

Regards

Graham

• Posted

Hi Vanessa

I had spinal plus sedation for both my hip ops and felt fine when I woke up in recovery. It also helps with the initial post op pain as takes a while for all the feeling in your legs to come back.

Having a chat with your surgeon on Thurs will help plus with your anaethetist on the day of your op.

Linnet x

• Posted

What are your thoughts Vanessa? Are you concerned about one or both?

I was worried too but it seems that almost everyone was happy with what they had.

• Posted

Was anyone very cold and shivering in recovery

I had to be warmed up with a heater apparantly they cool you down during the op

• Posted

All i remember about recovery, is a lovely nurse asking me if i was ok, i asked if it was over she said yes and in a very strange voice i said that was quick,,next thing i remember was being in bed in the ward. 
    • Posted

I wasn't cold after this op, but I have been very cold after others. The theatre is kept cold because bugs are less likely to live. Also, I think some of the meds make you shiver, or it might be the body reacting from the shock and horror of what's just been done. They can give you heated blankets which is just so comforting.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.