Spinal block or completely out

Posted , 15 users are following.

Yes me again and still troubled lol x just want to throw it out there to all you who have had hip replacement . ..what's best spinal block or completely out let me know your feelings on this one please xx just don't know what to do that's if I even get a choice I suppose lol xx

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa -

It is a personal choice ... I did not want to hear or smell anything , or even feel pulling - No matter how they tried to convince me that I wouldn't - So GA for me both times -    I took a deep breath and opened my eyes in the recovery room - 

all done - no side effects to mention - no catheter, normal feeling in leg -

But like Keena commented: everybody seems to be happy with the choice they made ! 

You are in good hands!

warm hug

renee

• Posted

I had a general too Renee, and for the same reasons. No sights and sounds surgery for me. No way Hosay. I was very stressed about it for weeks before the op though.
    • Posted

me too !  I thought spinal was mandatory and I had no say it this - Silly of course , but hey, Holland might have different rules than California ...

I would have flown back to L.A. for the surgery, just to get me GA -

twisted   I am kidding !!!!!

• Posted

Sure you're kidding? I would have contemplated that, based on past experiences. Besides, having surgery in Dutch?

I spoke to my GP at length about having the spinal and she said spinal is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Everyone, and I mean everyone, was trying hard to convince me to have a spinal. So I had to let everyone down to have a general, but even that wasn't enough to sway me. 

And different countries are very different in attitiudes and rules. Hard to predict what they're going to do and makes everything that much more uncertain.

• Posted

I've worked in theatres, and there's smells. And it's very cold to prevent infection. Uh uh. Not me, but I'm glad others like it. xx
    • Posted

Well I didn't smell anything and before the op was freezing but during was very warm for some reason . When I went into recovery they put foul blanket and then a warming blanket and obv brought me back to temp. Lol
  • Posted

I had a GA. it was fine. Recovered really quickly. I think my surgeon prefers people to be knocked out. Most of her patients have a GA. Cannot imagine her singing along to anything or chatting at all!
  • Posted

I had spinal with sedation, I knew nothing about the op, just woke up on the ward afterwards. Tony
  • Posted

GA knocks you out, requires intubation, and blocks all pain for its duration.

Spinal block kills the pain and wears off slowly afterwards so you get some post op pain relief from it. It can be combined with various degrees of sedation, from none to deep. With deep sedation you are asleep.

i was very clear I wanted a GA, the anaesthetist agreed 'cos he could see I was very definite, but asked permission to give me, whilst I was under the GA, towards the end of the op, a nerve block in the groin. This was to help with post op pain

All people are different, this was my best choice

• Posted

Hi Vanessa 

Had my op 4weeks4days ago and was determined to get put ouT for the count completely but after chatting to the knock out man (can't spell anaesthetist ) he persuaded me that spinal block with sedation was best. After the op recovery so much quicker with no sickness or other side effects that you get with complete ko. Graham and Gabi respect!! I wouldn't fancy staying awake even if Adelle singing in the background. 25 by her brilliant btw.

• Posted

Haha I actually found the whole experience hilarious ( kind of) lol
    • Posted

Sounds like you've got a very peculiar sense of humour or should that be femourcheesygrin
    • Posted

My father was a butcher, I used to help him bone out the bones from the pig carcasses and saw them up for dogs (the pigs were not alive however).

The operation fascinated me - I guess Gaby and I are made of hardy stuff.  Since coming back home I have even watched a full operation on YouTube, which helped me make sense of the various noises.

Regards

Graham

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.