Spinal block or completely out

Posted , 15 users are following.

Yes me again and still troubled lol x just want to throw it out there to all you who have had hip replacement . ..what's best spinal block or completely out let me know your feelings on this one please xx just don't know what to do that's if I even get a choice I suppose lol xx

0 likes, 49 replies

49 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Vanessa!

I had an epidural with sedation.

I knew or felt nothing from the time I said goodbye to my family until the time I woke up in recovery.

Good luck to you!

Don't be afraid. It's not as bad as you may think.

• Posted

Thank you miele :-) still scared though lol x how long does op take do you know? Are you on your back when they operate or side sorry I know nothing about it thats what scares me I think I am seeing consultant on Thursday and will be asking him everything lol poor man xx
    • Posted

If you have full sedation you won't know!

I was on my side for the op - operated side up so they could get to work on it.  It may depend on which direction they access the leg - front (anterior), side, or rear (posterior).   Mine was a posterior incision.

Write out your questions before you go to see the consultant - it's easy to be overwhelmed by them, You mayanswers most of the questions without you having to ask - I know mine did.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

Min took 1hr 20 mins lplus time in recovery

My surgoen went in ftom the side

• Posted

Please dont be scarred i was too but i am now 15 days post op and it really isnt that bad and recovery is quick too and as for pain they will keep you topped up so wont be bad at all

I worried so much but then wondered why!!!

• Posted

Oh I really hope I'm like that x I'm all over the place I keep thinking oh I'll have spinal then ga then spinal lol I really can't make up my mind I think its the being out of it that scares me don't know why but I have never had an op so I think I'm scared of everything including theatre lol I'm sure I will be fine and I'm sure they have probably dealt with just as nervous patients lol xx wish it could be done in 5 mins lol 2 hours seems a long time:-( xx
    • Posted

I was in and out, in under an hour smile

It surprised my wife when she rang up to see how I was, and was told I was out of recovery and on my way to my room.

Graham

• Posted

Vanessa,

This was my first operation too, and it is normal to beapprehensive or scared, it is a major thing that you are going through.

I worked for some time installing computers and scanners in some hospitals, and to the staff there it's their workplace, they see and do this all the time.  

Staff in hospitals are really special people, so caring.

To us the operating theatre is a foreign place, so naturally we are scared of it.  

Installing equipment in operating theatres helped me come to terms with them and realise they are just a place that surgeons work in to help us get better.

Don't worry, they see nervous patiens every day.

Best wishes

Graham

• Posted

My op took around 50 minutes excluding recovery time. But surgeon  I used is renowned for being a fast operator......
    • Posted

Sounds like mine, less than 60 mins including prepping and spinal.

I guess so much less trauma if they are that fast?

Graham

• Posted

Exactly. I lost no blood and had very little fluid from the surgical drain when they removed it. I was very lucky I guess.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.