spirometry results

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone

hope all is well

im not sure what to make of this but i had spirometry test june 10th 2014.

results were as followed FEV1 4.56, FVC 5.83 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 78%

iv just recently stuck these results into the spirometry calculater on patient.info and it said these results are normal.

however i had another test on the 6th january this year as i was still having breathing difficulties. this test was a full lung funtion test.

results were as follwed FEV1 4.8 FVC 6.45 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 75%

thats a ratio drop of 3% in 7 months but i stuck these reults in the spirometry calculater and it said my ratio was low & to consider COPD.

im not freaking out about this but should i seek a second opinion on this? as my doctor says the last test  results are normal even though there is a slight decline in ratio.

thanks guys and take care x

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gary. First of all don't worry too much about the slight difference in your readings as they can vary by a few points up or down at any given time of day.  It doesn't necessarily mean you are getting worse. 

My lung function (FEV1) is 78% and I have been diagnosed with copd.  I understand that with a LF of less than 80% then it is mild copd.  

The normal for you is worked out depending on your age,  weight,  height and what is considered average for this group.  So the figures ie 75% is this and not everybody as a whole.   I would go back to your doctors if you have trouble breathing as you might need inhalers to open your airways and ventolin if your symtoms worsen slightly (preventative ones).  

If you are a smoker you need to stop asap as this will only worsen your symptoms and exercise and a healthy diet is also important.   x

• Posted

Thanks for replying hypercat

I stopped smoking about 2 1/2 years ago due to developing breathing difficulties, but i have been a bit naughty and had a cigarette or two while having a few lagers but didn't pick up the cigarettes the next day.

I'm on the blue ventolin & seretide 100 doesn't seem to help apart from the ventolin but only a little.

Really confused because I'm having breathing troubles like never before but doctors are happy with my results lol!

• Posted

Hi Gary I think you need to go back to the doctors and tell them how you are feeling.   It's common for people with the same level of lung disease to react differently and this can be for a variety of reasons.    Some people who are moderate can be severe in some of their symptoms regardless of the official figures.   If you are having trouble then something needs to be done.

Have you done a PR course yet?  (Pulmunory Rehabilitation).   If not ask you doctor to refer you.  This is a course where you attend once or twice a week for  couple of months or so and they teach you exercises specifically to help with lung disease.  There is also a trained nurse who will be able to answer any questions and give talks on various things.  x

• Posted

Iv been to see my doctor many times about this but he is adamant there is nothing wrong.

He even sent me on a talking therapy course because he believed it was down to health anxiety! Lol!! Iv always generally been fit and healthy,long distance running,football swimming you name it! Now all of that has become increasingly harder to do.i know my lungs are not going to be like they was when I was a kid but they shouldn't be this bad at my age.

Sorry to waffle on about this but Iv never felt this isolated before and really don't what do.

I will look into the PR though as I think that would benefit me alot

Take care x

• Posted

hi gary ive just been diagnosed with COPD and my fev1 is 37% so it means ive got severe case and yes i smoke but quitting and doing well im on tiotropium bromide handihaler(GREY) seretide5oo (purple) and ventolin  all i can say is do has the docs say but relax as well good luck and god bless
    • Posted

Hi Jackie sorry to hear about your copd it must be horrible at severe stage,but make sure you give up them cigarettes!

My inhalers do not seem to help me at all,do yours work with you?? X

• Posted

hi Gary my inhalers dont work all the time due to me constantly coughing at the moment 
  • Posted

I doubt A and E would be interested Gary unless it was an emergency so I wouldn't waste my time there.   You need to change your doctor and ask for a spirometry test.  You can also demand to be referred to a consultant - it is your right.   x

• Posted

thought breathing problems was and emergency it is in coventry where i live
    • Posted

very good and its best to have a joke no matter the illness and im the next stage down from you ELA72
    • Posted

Yes it is Jackie but only if it is severe enough to warrent calling an ambulance.  What I meant was if one was to just walk into A and E and say my breathing is a bit bad can I have a spirometry test please then I don't imagine they would be too obliging!   They might give an x-ray though.  x

• Posted

true i had to call an amulance has i couldnt breath properly A&E  did xrays and blood gasses which found i had respitory failure so had to have the spirometry test which i didnt enjoy doing has i also have epilepsy too and was only diagnosed with pe at xmas but at least i now know what im dealing with
    • Posted

Not sure what an ABG test is Ela?   But the poster is in the UK and it's a bit different here.  The over worked over stretched good ole NHS :O  x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.