spirometry results

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone

hope all is well

im not sure what to make of this but i had spirometry test june 10th 2014.

results were as followed FEV1 4.56, FVC 5.83 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 78%

iv just recently stuck these results into the spirometry calculater on patient.info and it said these results are normal.

however i had another test on the 6th january this year as i was still having breathing difficulties. this test was a full lung funtion test.

results were as follwed FEV1 4.8 FVC 6.45 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 75%

thats a ratio drop of 3% in 7 months but i stuck these reults in the spirometry calculater and it said my ratio was low & to consider COPD.

im not freaking out about this but should i seek a second opinion on this? as my doctor says the last test  results are normal even though there is a slight decline in ratio.

thanks guys and take care x

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Now now ladies! Lol

I'm in for a breathing test on Tuesday will keep updated how I get on.

Hope your having a nice weekend x

• Posted

Well I turned up for my spiro today and I didn't even get to do it!!

Nurse had all my notes up on screen all the tests Iv had done etc... And I'm now being sent for a hestamine test which I cannot book appointment as my consultant is away for a week! Lol they were suppose to send me an appointment shortly after my VQ scan,the good old NHS lol

So I'm a bad with my breathing everything seems to be irritating my lungs,inhaled exhaust fumes today and I think that's what set me off.

Not much I can do now

Hope your all ok x

• Posted

An Fev1 / FVC ratio of 75 is at least 5 points over the lower limit of normal and your FEv1 went up, can't see how the calculator said consider Copd.

your results seem normal unless your fev1 < 80%,the reason it's gne down is your fvc has gone up. the reason for this is you most likely blew into the machine for longer or have been taking asthma meds? 80%,the="" reason="" it's="" gne="" down="" is="" your="" fvc="" has="" gone="" up.="" the="" reason="" for="" this="" is="" you="" most="" likely="" blew="" into="" the="" machine="" for="" longer="" or="" have="" been="" taking="" asthma="">

• Posted

I just filled out the required fields for my age height and weight and the calculator said my ratio % was low
    • Posted

Ok I checked that out, you are correct. BTW I think thats wrong, you have well over 70% FEV1 / FVC ratio. Thats the guideline which is globally recognised. How can a calculator on a website take all into account, personally I think the tool is missing a parameter. No doc will diagnose you with COPD with your reults period.

A Pulmonary doctor will tell you that you have large lungs, that is why your FVC is so high, this is pushing down the ratio, thats all.

Your FEV1 is well over 100% which is thefirst thing they look at. Stop trying to get deep breaths, they will come.

Your results are normal. 

• Posted

BTW Gary losing those three points as you say is incorrect. All your figures went up, a good thing.

I believe you either had a touch of asthma on your first attempt or didnt fully empty your lungs.

Your doc is correct. Accept it.

• Posted

out of curiosty are you in the medical business
    • Posted

Jackie, I have been down this road myself with nearly the exact same results spending £000's on tests and Pulmo / RRT consultations.

I have discussed my results & symptoms with some of the best Pulmos in the world. including Dr. Tom Petty. 

I also am an ex smoker with a normal FEV1, FVC, and slightly decreased Mef 25-75 etc. I related directly to Garys post and given my life experience I reached out to give my opinion.

I will admit that sadly I have accumulated a fair amount of knowlege regarding Spirometry over the last 12 years.

• Posted

Hi Gary I used to run against polluted exhausts ie by busy roads. You breath deeper when running and the carbon monixide posoining inhaled plays havoc with breathing. I stopped runnung by traffic and only run in parks now
    • Posted

Hi a professional runner told me that it is better to run on soft surfaces like grass because the impact on your joints is much lower than running on hard services.  x
    • Posted

Yeah I can't run along roads anymore,I avoid them when I go out running now,not that easy where I live though lol

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.