spirometry results

Posted , 7 users are following.

hi everyone

hope all is well

im not sure what to make of this but i had spirometry test june 10th 2014.

results were as followed FEV1 4.56, FVC 5.83 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 78%

iv just recently stuck these results into the spirometry calculater on patient.info and it said these results are normal.

however i had another test on the 6th january this year as i was still having breathing difficulties. this test was a full lung funtion test.

results were as follwed FEV1 4.8 FVC 6.45 FEV1-FEV Ratio of 75%

thats a ratio drop of 3% in 7 months but i stuck these reults in the spirometry calculater and it said my ratio was low & to consider COPD.

im not freaking out about this but should i seek a second opinion on this? as my doctor says the last test  results are normal even though there is a slight decline in ratio.

thanks guys and take care x

0 likes, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

my spirometry result overall was 77% the nhs nurse said this was normal..? really? why am I breathless all the time then? I read on NICE National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellance a different result. Anything less than 80% is mild COPD from 50 - 79 % is moderate COPD etc etc
    • Posted

Very strange.  my FEV1 is now 78% and I am diagnosed with moderate copd.  Can you go back and see a different doctor?  x

• Posted

even though my results apparently are normal I certainly don't feel like I breath normally and certainly struggle with exercise now and cannot be around any pollution what so ever.

Walking on a path next to a road is a thing of the last for me 😥

• Posted

Gary, I have the exact same thing going on now for 12 years.

I have normal PFT's but suffer shortness of breath. Similar smoking history too.

• Posted

Has breathing gotten worse over them 12 years?
    • Posted

I had three chest infections this year that really set me back. Having a normal diagnosis is not a good thing. This caused me not to get Antibiotics and steroids early.

I have had a detailed look at my PFT. I have a decrease in the MEF25 at 50%. The 25-75 is made up of three figures. You should try and establish which is low. It might give you an indication.

Everything I have read states the 25-75 is unreliable and not a sign of obstruction if the FEV1 is normal, however in the presence of the symptoms I have I'm beginning to wonder. Some papers say it is indicative others don't.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.