Spirometry Test Results - Please give me your opinion

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all, I'm a 32 year olf Female - nonsmoker and pretty active. I have had a bad cold for a week last October (lost my voice in the process). It went away in a week or so but I have been left with a chronic cough. Dry at most times then with some mucus (even though I never was able to spit any out). The mucus is clear from what I saw. The cough didn't let me sleep for several nights, then got better, then worse again the better then worse. I work as a school teacher so I was always using my voice and thus coughing more. I have been on sick leave for 2 weeks now. My chest xray was clear, but when I took a spirometry test my FEV1 was 73% but my FEV1/FVC was 83% - when I took the bronchodilator my FEV1 rose to 92%. The doctor said it is Asthma even though I don't have any symptoms. I took some inhaled steroids for a few days but they didn't do much. I went to a pulmonologist who said it is not asthma but took a detailed history a said it is silent reflux.

I have been on the acid reflux medication for a week and my cough got better (still coughing but only half as much). However, I think I just caught a flu because I have all the symptoms and am worried my cough will get worse - I have been coughing for 7 weeks now. Sometimes more, sometimes less. My throat was very itchy before but is better now.

All the doctors I have visited listened to my chest and said it is clear - 

What do you think I have and what should I do? The cough is really bothering me and stressing everyone around.

Thank you.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi    i am Arwinarwin and i am not a docter but this may help you a vapriser or humdifer and drink tea with honey and lemon,and use cough drops to help the cought it helps me a lot. ho i for got tack vitaim c too.
  • Posted

My spirometey test showed I had very low oxygen levels at night when I was sleeping. My sleep apnea test revealed it was very mild however tge spirometey test was scary, I have now been put on a CPAC machine to where I use a mask at night only. It just pumps air into the mask. It uses distilled water. I till you get a solid diagnoses it will be hard to know just what can be done for you. Best of luck. Keep in touch.
  • Posted

ravengaar

You described symptoms of a cold, not quite sure why you have had test for COPD but so glad you have been tested and your lungs show clear,

your doctor diagnosed asthma:  here is the link to the patient UK support forum https://www.asthma.org.uk/

We are not doctors here so cannot advise.  Perhaps give the Asthma organisation helpline or Lung association helpline in the country you reside for further advice on how you should take the matter forward.

Generally I would say go back to your doctor and discuss the matter further, the doctor may wish to do further tests before prescribed and anti cough medication.

Reflux discussions forum here:  https://patient.info/forums/discuss/browse/reflux-oesophagitis-1969

From you you have described and what 2 different doctors have advised COPD is not indicated.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.