Spondylitis in the top of the neck

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Spondylitis in the top of the neck its not the tightness or the pain its the way its affecting my balance!!!  I also have a inner ear problem so not sure what is causing the Virtigo or could it be a bit of both can anyone out there help before I go crazy thanks!!!

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I have the same thing! My rhumy had never heard of a patient having inner ear autoimmune disease so........ I got a different rhume. The new rhume. is aware that it can be an issue I have been on remecade for 12 years and the thought is that I am building an immunity to it so I am going to give humera a try. MY ENT dr, has me on betahistane (maintenance) and meclizine (emergency) for the vertigo. I have been popping a meclizine every morning just to keep the vertigo from happening, I am hoping that the humera goes it's trick and fixes me up. YES, these episodes of dizziness start suddenly without any warning. good luck.
  • Posted

i am very interested in your comments.  Before being diagnosed with AS A , I experienced vertigo and my PC Doctor referred me to PT for vestibular training as well as prescribing  meclizine (which doesn't really help).  The  dizziness I experienced at that time is managed by periodically doing the given exercises.    Now, my concern is the ongoing light headed dizziness I am experiencing.  I have constant popping/cracking sounds when I turn my neck.  I might have aggravated 'something' in my neck by doing head stands in yoga (which I no longer do).  My current rheumatologist has no comment about my dizziness/neck popping sounds.  I have not been to a ENT because I don't think I can find one who will get to the root of my problem.  What type of dizziness do you experience and what does Betahistine treat?
    • Posted

Popping and cracking in ur neck?!?! Holy smokes! I thought everyone has that! I've had that since I was a kid! It kinda sounds like a fuller Rice Krispies! Is that it? Is that what u hear? I hear it and it kinda sounds like I'm 'hearing' it IN my neck. Do u know what I mean? Is this NOT normal?
    • Posted

My PT says could be a degenerative disk in the neck.  I hear the popping sound when I do a certain exercise for tendonitis in my shoulder ...which PT said is not really normal.  Someone mentioned you are prone to getting tendonitis with PsA.......maybe with ASA, too.
  • Posted

OK to answer the popping sound:

All Joints contain oxygen, nitrogen and carbon dioxide gasses as well as fluid that lubricates the area where two bones meet.  When you put liquid under pressure (which happens when you put pressure on a joint), the tiny gas bubbles in the joint are released, creating a popping sound.

It’s similar to opening a can of soda.  The pressure in the can is released when you open it, and the gas bubbles forcefully rise to the top with a pop!

Betahistine is taken 2x daily and used to prevent vertigo...The meclizine is for emergency when I am having a dizziness (vertigo) session..I take one of them at the onset of dizziness/nausea.

Betahistine  is an anti-vertigo drug. It was first registered in Europe in 1970 for the treatment of Ménière's disease. It is commonly prescribed to patients with balance disorders or to alleviate vertigo symptoms associated with Ménière's disease.

Salt tends to  trigger the dizziness so I have cut way down on my salt intake, and add caffeine to the list too, cut down on that. The vertigo sucks!!!!

Have you tried going to a chiropractor?

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.  I have not considered a chiropractor ..... I am thinking about going to a PT to address posture issues as well as determining what yoga postures are okay to practice.  I guess I really need to see an ENT, too.

About the salt I take....my bloodwork showed I was low on salt and the doctor advised me to increase it...he said the lack of salt was causing my dizziness.  Well, subsequent bloodwork showed normal range for salt but srill have light headed dizziness.  So much for that.  Psoriasis has appeared since AS A diagnosis And I was also dealing with heartburn so coffee has been restricted......no change in dizziness.

• Posted

Just wonderiing how the PT sessions went? I have an occasional vertigo and I pop a mecalzine when I feel it coming on and it dissapates. been on/off humara for 5 monthis now giving myself injections 1x  2 weeks and I cannot say that it is helping with the vertigo. I had a viral (cold) that lingered on for 5 weeks and I had to discontinue all of the immune supressing meds. but I am back on schedule. I am, going to push my rhume Dr. to try 1x per week dosage and see if this makes a difference. i have continuous ringing in my ears that occasionally goes away but that sucks too.

• Posted

Thanks for asking.  The vertigo episodes stopped and the lighted headed dizziness has disappeared.   I am on NP Armour for Hashimoto's which has improved my energy level (before I was on Levoxolthyroxine (sp.).  I do feel the PsSA is tied in to the vertigo, somehow.  after developing an ache in my shoulder, I finally sought PT.  diagnosis: tendonitis.  The stretching/strengthening exercises help tremendously...do them regularly.  Learned tendonitis is very common with my diagnosis (have already had tendonitis in quads and am realizing what I thought was sciatica from 5 yrs ago is really joint ache due to diagnosis.  Sorry about your ear ringing..have you thought about seeing an ENT?
    • Posted

I get the high-pitched sound in my ears. Idk what causes it or whether or not it's 'normal', now that you've mentioned it, but that's been also since I was a kid. I can remember trying to seek the origin and then, after a while, it just slowly dissipates. (??) I nvr told anyone because I thought it was normal stuff. I HAVE asked ppl from time to time, "do u hear that?" And they look at me like I'm nuts.
    • Posted

I think  the high pitched sound that suddenly starts/stops is possibly hair cells (something like that) dying in the inner ear.....naturally occurs.  It occurred more often with me, too, when I was younger. The sound is really loud, isn't it?
  • Posted

YES did the ENT dr's.... went to 3 of them and the diagnosis was ???? not sure what I have going on. One of them did a set of steroid injections in my ear drum, sounds worse than it is: does not hurt at all he numbs up the ear drum before hand the only negative is the feeling of liquid going from your ear canal down youtr throat. Anyway's it did not help. He has me on betahistine maintenance drug and I take a mecalzene (sp) for emergencies. That seems to help, but I still have the almost continuous ringing in my ear and ocassional vertigo.I googled the drug U are on and that is for thryoid conditions. I could get mine checked and if it is an iissue that would solve my constant fatigue problem. Good thought I will check that out.

No to make fun of it but did U know that NP Armour for Hashimoto's is actually dried pig thryoids?

I do not know what PsSA means. please explain

• Posted

Also, when I was about 8-9, I had a Ps problem on my elbows & knees. Our family doc gave me this 'salve' that stunk to put on. (Id go wash it off b4 I left for school. Lol)
    • Posted

Maybe when u call for an appt, ask if this dr specializes in these issues. If the receptionist doesn't know, the answer is most likely, no. I hate to see u waste ur time seeing ppl/Drs who don't have a clue.
    • Posted

I, too, have psoriasis...lucky me.  My coverage includes a large part of both arms and knees.  Luckily, my rheumatologist has prescribed meds which have decreased the inflammation and spreading.  Am trying to figure out what in my diet makes it flare up.  So far, I know eating a lot of sweets make it itch.  I think the salve is called coal tar....I was given that for my eczema whenI was younger.  Yes, I remember it used to smell.  Guess what I apply to my psoriasis now to alleviate the itch....mixture of apple cider vinegar and glycerin (recommended by a poster on a psoriasis website).   It smells but it works!
  • Posted

Disheartening to hear you saw 3 ENTs and still no resolution to ear ringing...and I am sure listed under practices each is able to address vertigo!  About 6 yrs ago, my GP diagnosed hypothyroidism.  It was the rheumatologist who checked T3 T4 in addition to Tsh in the bloodwork and said it was Hashimoto.  Regular GP don't usually check the former. PsSA...psoriatic spondylitis arthritis.  You might check around for a PT certified in vertigo...tell him/her it could be related to your type of arthritis.  Good luck.  Oh, my rheumatologist recommended an inversion table for the arthritis.....helps, but you can't lie on it when you are dizzy!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.