Spondylitis in the top of the neck

Posted , 6 users are following.

I have been diagnosed with Spondylitis in the top of the neck its not the tightness or the pain its the way its affecting my balance!!!  I also have a inner ear problem so not sure what is causing the Virtigo or could it be a bit of both can anyone out there help before I go crazy thanks!!!

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Thanks for the advise, I will schedule a thryoid test next week and have them check the T3 and T4. Dont mind getting stuck with another needle,the blood suckers like me. 

I do know that I cannot function in this mode, I work fulltime and have household duties and I have to force myself to complete tasks. Feeling tired after 8-10 hours of sleep is not right for me.

• Posted

I meant to tell you I don't have ringing in the ears.  When I was experiencing  the vertigo and light headed dizziness, I could hear a constant heart beat in my ears. With the dizziness gone, I occasionally hear that sound.  It is a shame that ENTs can correctly treat the vertigo and dizziness.  I am sure the ENT ruled out tinnitus??????
  • Posted

I went to 3 ENT's The last one was the most agressive with the maintenance betahistine and the emergency mechalzine. He admitted that "I do not know what is causing your ringing and dizziness".... not good...he is supposed a renounded ENT. SO, me, I am trying to play doctor and do some researching and suttle changes in lifestyle. I had a massage and chiro adjustment Friday and I am feeling pretty good at this point. I do not have much mobility in my neck because of the AS so I am doing the process of elimination: is the ringing/vertigo caused by the lack of mobility? I am trying Humara verses remecade that I was on for 12 years to maybe regain some mobility back and possibly resolve the ringing/vertigo, or will chiro adjustments be the trick, or maybe a digestive cleanse to rid my gut of bad bacteria, or ???? I dont know but I am not giving up. I have too much to live for and want to enjoy myself. 
  • Posted

i am so sorry for your issues!  Keep up the positive attitude!  For neck issues, Try sleeping without a pillow.  Does your chiropractor have an inversion table?  Teeter inversion table is good...several hundred dollars but it helps me.   However, inversion is not recommended when dizzy.  I do feel the neck mobility and dizziness are related.  What about asking a PT about the relationship between neck alignment and dizziness with your type of arthritis?  Again, you do have too much to live for...don't give up!  I am cheering for you!
  • Posted

Hi Jean:

I cannot sleep without some sort of pillow support. I do not have much mobility due to the AS fusing. Had another episode of vertigo Saturday night, it was definetely from salt! I ate some pizza and found out too late that pizza has high amounts of salt in it. Another item I can check off my list of foods I can eat.

Thanks for the compassion, but thier are people that are in much worse shape than me out there.

• Posted

OK Jean, I got the results back from the thyroid function. They performed a TSH test which is suppose to be between .35 to 4.94 and mine was 1.07. They did not indicate anything about the T3 T4.

So back to the drawing board with my fatigue.

2016 is the year to get my health back in order, I am about 5 years from retirement??? and I would like ot have some quality of life at that time.

Going to try a regime of viamins and minerals next??? just a thought.

Happy new year!

• Posted

i am sorry they didn't run the T3T4.....My rheumatologist knows what more info is derived from these 2.  My reg. GP never ran it...only TSH.  The new meds I am on as a result of the T3 T4 results have definitely helped me with my energy.  Before new meds, I took a B complex pill..seemed to give me more energy.  I wish I could help more with suggestions.  I don't know who else you could see..an internist?  But I am not suggesting you go since you have seen several doctors.  Lyme disease???  Being fatigued as you are is not normal.  Yes, a healthy diet helps, staying hydrated, sufficient sleep ...you know all that already.  Keep us posted.
  • Posted

The article about sodium intake and AS inflammation is interesting.  I was advised by a physician to increase my salt intake and decrease my water intake when I was experiencing dizziness (during that time, my bloodwork did show I was low on sodium).  It took a while for my dizziness to go stop even after my sodium consumption had leveled out in a subsequent bloodwork.  
  • Posted

Hi Jean. I have notice this while I am walking. The top 6 Vertebrae in my spine are fused. I think it's because there is no "suspension" for your head so all movement is very jerky causing the dizziness. It seems to affect me more it I try to force my neck as straight as I can, but not if I let my neck take its (now) natural curve.

Best of luck Jean

• Posted

Humera is not cutting it, I am feeling achey and fatigued continusely. I am considering going back to Remecade and my old Rhume. I had better service with her and she is a friend of my sisters, so I woulkd get some VIP service. Their are stipulations with resuming Remecade the fact that a persons antibodies might counter the drug and cause some side effects. She indicated before that remecade was my best bet but I wanted to try alternatives. I have some time to decide I just recewived a 1 month supply of Humera.
  • Posted

How is everyone on this thread?  As for me, slight dizziness is reoccuring (I think related to sinus/allergies.  Psoriasis is kept at bay by meds. Had top of foot tendonitis, and rheumatologist prescribed antibiotic and NSAID for A.S.

Hope all of you are managing the best you can.

• Posted

went back to remecade at 6 week intervals, humera and the other rhume were not up to my expectations.

Did find out that I do have Menier's disease whick affects your inner ear and can cause vertigo.

Was told to cut back on my salt to 2500 mg per day, do not drink alcohol excessively and watch the caffeine intake.

Been doing good so far, have not had an episode in 3+ months.

Was awfully sick wth pneumonia several months ago which put me in the hospital.

otherwise just maintaining

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.