Spotting - possibly perimenopause but could it be related to exercsise. So scared!

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi all,

?This is my first post on here and I'm so glad I found this site.

?I am 45 this week and have recently started experiencing weird symptoms which are scaring me. I am of healthy weight and exercise regularly now (never used to when I was younger). I run 3 times a week and also go to the gym and feel fitter than I've ever been. However, maybe 4 months ago I noticed that my periods would take longer to stop. They are still very regular (every 25 days), painless and quite heavy but for the past few months I'd get brown/sometimes red discharge for another 4-5 days after. Sometimes I'd spot at other times of my cycle too, especially at ovulation. I also think that it is somehow related to streneous exercise or running as it can happen straight after a long run for example. I have done a lot of research and this problem has been reported by many female runners but I still don't think it's normal. I had my overdue smear which came back normal and I saw my GP who immediately suggested I am nearing perimenopause. I had blood tests done which I've just seen online (seeing the same gp in 2 days) and everything seems fine, apart from my TSH (thyroid) being right at the low end of normal.

The spotting scares me sooooo much, especially since one of my older running friends just got diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing treatment.

?My periods have always been quite heavy, especially on days 3 and 4 but this month was horrendous and I've been up all night. It then went normal the next few days and stopped properly. I was so happy that it didn't drag on as it had been in the past few months but yesterday I walked around town all day, then went to the gym and today the spotting has returned. It's mainly brown but I can see pink sometimes too. 

?Please tell me if this sounds like peri. I am so scared. I have been getting palputations too, especially in the days before I'm due but think running has really helped with this.

?Looking forward to your replies girls!

Many thanks smile 

0 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Now I am really freaking out. After my period stopped properly (first time in a few months), I had 4-5 completly clear days and even went for a run on Tue and was fine (used to think this sets the spotting off). So today I didn't listen to my hubby and went for a 10km run which I managed quite comfortably and really enjoyed but when I came back I realised I am bleeding again. I also have been experiencing mild twitches/cramps on one side and since my cycles are quite short and this is day 12/13 I am hoping it's ovulation. It's more than spotting though and it is freaking me out. I am meant to be seeing my GP today and don't know if she can examine me if I am bleeding again ( I think she said it's ok if not heavy but it just sounds horrible). sad 

• Posted

A quick update. So, I've stopped running which is making me really depressed but has improved the spotting (although I still spotted during ovulation). I had intravaginal US which sounded so scary that I spent the month dreading it but it turned out to be a completely painless procedure. They found a small fibroid and also what they think is a polyp so I am waiting to hear from my doctor. The radiologist lady said that I would probably be referred to a gynaecologist and should probably have it removed. Now this also sounds scary but I am kind of getting used to it and just want it over and done with.

Wanted to ask, has anyone had a polyp removed and what is it like? 

• Posted

hi jojo48 I was wondering how things worked out for you, I'm going through something similar and have just found this forum.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.