St. John's wort?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey 

Has anyone tried St. John's wort? 

Has anyone had any success from it? 

Literally trying anything I can. As I'm not a big fan of anti depressants. 

My main issue is dizzyness! 24/7 I get dizzy. It's horrible. 

I'm also going counselling. & drink camomile tea. 

1 like, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Try Magnesium "Calm" its a drink that should calm you - its been working for me. I do not like meds either
  • Posted

I came off anti depressants and tried St JHohn's Wort but did not make any difference.  I am taking Kalms now and other supplements and find they help.  Still have good and bad days but not depressed.  Worst thing is I cannot get a good nights sleep.

I think anything is worth trying.  I am glad you are going to counselling, and hope it helps.  I don't want to go back onto anti depressants.

• Posted

Did you suffer from any dizzness? 

Well done for doing so well smile 

I'm going to the DR today as I'm sick of this dizzness going to ask if there's anything I can do to prevent this. 

X

Keep up the good work 

• Posted

I think that St john worts like the anti depressants is just masking the symptons, the NHS need more support from government on counselling and talk therapies
  • Posted

Does anyone suffer from dizzness? Will this go away? And will St. John's wort work? Or kalms? 

HELP fed up of feeling dizzy 24/7 

• Posted

Kalms helps me, but St John's Wort and 5HTP had not effect.  I take other supplements and find they help. Plenty of herbal pills to try.  Don't know what is causing your dizziness, but hope doctor can help.  Let us know what he says.
  • Posted

try 5HPT so much better than st johns worts and can be bought online or in health shops, goodluck
  • Posted

So just a little update.

I went to the DR told them could hack the dizzness. 

She said it's my anxiety. And she put me on Fluoxetine instead of cit ( I didn't do well on cit ) 

I start them today. Wish me luck. And if anyone has been on these before and have something positive to say then please do. I'm very nervous of taking anything new. But I Spose that's part of anxiety. 

X

• Posted

Yes Michelle I wish you luck.  If Fluoxetine is same as Prozac then unfortunately it did not agree with me, but we all react differently to different drugs.  I mean the drugs themselves can give us side effects.  Perhaps that was what you were getting, side ffects from the medication you were taking.  I have had side effects from a few anti depressants.  We do not know until we take them whether they will suit us or not.

I am sure there are many people on here who can give you positive feedback.  I did well on Effexor (stopped it now) but there will be others who will say that it did not suit them at all.

Take your doctors advice and take the Fluoxetine and see how you go.  Hope it stops your dizziness.

Gosh anxiety can affect us physically in so many different ways.

Keep us updated.

• Posted

Thanks for writing that smile 

It's very kind of you. 

It's weird what anxiety does to us doesn't it. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I'm very new to all this ( and anything to help the dizzness ) 

My mums on these tablets and she seems soo happy now and said it worked for her. 

Like you said you can only try can't you and see what happens. 

I will keep people posted how I get on. 

DR did say with anti depressants you don't see any benefit till least a couple weeks. I Spose it's for your brain body to adjust.

Glad things are working for you. Keep it up smile and hopefully I will have a success story at the end of this. 

Xx

• Posted

Whether it's a prescribed drug or the non prescribed drugs/herbals if it works for you that's all that matters
    • Posted

It can take up to six weeks before you feel benefit from anti depressants, and sometimes you may feel worse as your body gets used to them.  Glad your Mum is doing well. 

I know you said at first you did not want to take prescribed medication, but if it helps you then well done for trying.  I wish you luck and hope you feel better soon.

Keep us updated. 

• Posted

So it's been day 3 of the taking fluxo only side effects I'm getting from it is feeling sick and feeling twitchy at night ( sleeping is bit poor ) I felt a lot worse on cit. 

I'm still feeling light headed & dizzy ( it's driving me bloody insane ) I hope it goes away.

Did anyone else expierence this light headless? / dizzy feeling? And I hope it goes as that's only think I'm really expierencing from day 1 of anxiety. 

I was told by doctors it would settle in 2 weeks and do lots walking. Iv been going outside more but I get scared when I get dizzy ( probs my anxiety kicking in ) 

X

• Posted

i am the same dizzy and lightheaded , have been this way for about 6 months for the last couple of months have been feeling a bit better , but one tense moment and severe giddyness 3 weeks ago has put me in a worse place than i was before, am struggling to go out at all now as get very tense and this makes the dizzyness worse am not on any medication but am thinking of going back to Dr,s with the view of getting some , am on the waiting list to see a pschologist 
    • Posted

Defiantly see your DR as I feel the same can't hack the dizzness. I can't work I can't as friends no life due to the dizzness. Iv been trying to do more walking. And started counselling. And DR did say the tablets will help the dizzness. 

Good luck! I totally understand where you are! It's horrible. But I Spose its part of our anxiety. 

• Posted

The dizziness is due to the anti depressant getting into your system I should think.  Nearly all anti depressants have some side effects, especially when you first start taking them.  Anxiety can also make us feel dizzy. 

I walk a lot too, and love being in the fresh air, even though I am a pensioner.  Hopefully your dizziness will settle down.  I often feel dizzy, and just have to sit and let it pass.  The lightheadiness can also be caused by anxiety, or by the anti depressants.  I am not on any medication at all, but am often lightheaded, but then it could just be my old age.  I don't know.  For years even when on anti depressants I would feel dizzy and lightheaded. 

Hopefully you will feel better soon.

• Posted

I had the dizzyness before going on any medication. The DR said the dizzyness is part of the anxiety ( it's bloody horrible ). Only side effects I'm expierencing at the moment is feeling sick, headaches and not sleeping. I prefer these side effects then the cit ones! They were horrible I couldn't even walk or get up. 

I Spose its different for everyone. 

Do lots of walking DR and counsellor said it's good for you.

I want to give mindfulness course ago too. 

Thank you. And all best to you too x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.