Stabbing pain behind knee cap

Posted , 7 users are following.

I had total knee replacement 8 weeks ago. Flex 126...extension 0....concerned about sharp pain behind knee cap now when I put pressure on my knee when its bent i.e. going up and down stairs...modified squats..leg extensions...surgeon says xrays are all fine..anyone else have this pain?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I do. My therapist does a procedure called dry needling.It lengthens short muscles due to a a bad gait prior to surgery.Also my ankle to the back of my knee she gave me an exercise today to,stretch the ankle.Thus all evolved today will keep you updated
  • Posted

0 / +126...poifect!!!  Congrats.  And, yes, the 126 can improve a bit more once you've done all the exercising to rebuild your quads, glutes and core...all the musculature to support the knee.  And that could very well be the problem.

Without those muscles strong and working, the pressure for all of your activities falls solely on the knee joint itself.  That's why a full recovery usually takes a year.  There is a lot of ROM and muscle rebuilding work to do in the coming months.  My wife had similar pain for another reason.  After all the tests and exams, her problem is an inflamed quadricep tendon right above her kneecap.  Felt like the knee but it wasn't.  Here are some other things you may want to consider...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

If all your imaging turns out OK, then there is no structural problem with the knee.  If your 6-week alignment x-ray lined up properly, then the knee's positioning is perfect.  Doc confirmed all this.  Consider the possibility that your atrophied quads and other muscles are unable to bear the strain you're putting on the new knee joint, therefore, it's gonna hurt.  We have heard this a bazillion times on the Forum, especially from people who expect to be perfectly back to normal in a few months...doesn't work like that.  I've read over 4,000 posts on here and I can count those rare cases with a few digits on one hand.  Whatever expectations you have, ditch 'em...they only screw with your mind.  There is no timetable...the knee will be healed when it is healed...not a moment before.

Time, work and patience.  Give the knee the time it needs to heal, do the ROM and muscle rebuilding work and have patience with a joint that CANNOT be pushed to recovery. Push it and you're in for pain, swelling and exhaustion.  Listen to your knee!!!  It will tell you when you've gone too far...sounds like it's doing that now.  Then back off, ice, elevate and resume slowly.  You have a looooong way to go.  The good news is that you will be dancing on you one-year anniversary.

• Posted

Got to agree with your 1year idea. It’s best to do the excercise day in and day out. If you have a bad day today it will be bettter tomorrow. Whatever you do after a TKR don’t give up the excercise. Giving up excercise because it’s not getting better is a no brainier.
    • Posted

Yes, you should do your ROM work every day as directed by your doc/PT.  However, when you get to the gym work, it's like any other person doing that type of exercise: You NEVER exercise the same muscle group two days in a row.  When you exercise, you break down the muscle; the day of rest lets it rebuild stronger.  So if you do legs, abs, glutes and core one day, the next day you do upper body, letting those other muscles rebuild.  The ROM work is totally different.

• Posted

0 / +126...poifect!!!  Congrats.  And, yes, the 126 can improve a bit more once you've done all the exercising to rebuild your quads, glutes and core...all the musculature to support the knee.  And that could very well be the problem.

Without those muscles strong and working, the pressure for all of your activities falls solely on the knee joint itself.  That's why a full recovery usually takes a year.  There is a lot of ROM and muscle rebuilding work to do in the coming months.  My wife had similar pain for another reason.  After all the tests and exams, her problem is an inflamed quadricep tendon right above her kneecap.  Felt like the knee but it wasn't.  Here are some other things you may want to consider...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/other-pain-after-a-tkr-641040

If all your imaging turns out OK, then there is no structural problem with the knee.  If your 6-week alignment x-ray lined up properly, then the knee's positioning is perfect.  Doc confirmed all this.  Consider the possibility that your atrophied quads and other muscles are unable to bear the strain you're putting on the new knee joint, therefore, it's gonna hurt.  We have heard this a bazillion times on the Forum, especially from people who expect to be perfectly back to normal in a few months...doesn't work like that.  I've read over 4,000 posts on here and I can count those rare cases with a few digits on one hand.  Whatever expectations you have, ditch 'em...they only screw with your mind.  There is no timetable...the knee will be healed when it is healed...not a moment before.

Time, work and patience.  Give the knee the time it needs to heal, do the ROM and muscle rebuilding work and have patience with a joint that CANNOT be pushed to recovery. Push it and you're in for pain, swelling and exhaustion.  Listen to your knee!!!  It will tell you when you've gone too far...sounds like it's doing that now.  Then back off, ice, elevate and resume slowly.  You have a looooong way to go.  The good news is that you will be dancing on you one-year anniversary.

• Posted

Hi Halle,

Sorry to hear about your pain. I haven't had it.

However, my physio did dry needling a few times at my early stage of recovery and I found it to be fantastic. So might be worth a try.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

Dry needling is used to lengthen short muscles.My therapist uses 2 needles.She finds spots where there muscles are knotted.By putting a thin needle in those areas the muscles start twitching and eventually break up those knots.It has been working for me so I can now walk down stairs after 9 weeks.i never would have accomplished this at this early stage without it!
    • Posted

Are you in the uk or USA ? I've never heard of it here but then never been in this situation...I may ask at my next treatment...thanks again for such a swift reply....x

• Posted

Only experience of partial was a guy who worked in our local Tesco. He was back at work after 8 weeks as if he had never even  had an op. So cannot comment. Listen to your surgeon and your knee.
  • Posted

I was told by my doctor not to do squats or any strenuous exercise like hit squats jumping etc
    • Posted

Squats have to be done very gradually to get your ROM back.  Leg Press machine is good for this but WITH NO WEIGHT at the beginning.  Need to build endurance before strength.  Great for quads when you're ready.  DEEP squats puts too much pressure on the ROM plus weight on your shoulders is probably not a good idea.  Remember.  ROM target is 120 but anywhere between 125 and 135 is most likely OK and very normal from what I've seen posted.  140 gets you into athlete range and 161 is heel to butt.  The problem is we've seen no data on what happens to the device (failure?  shorter duration?) when you push it that far.  Squats are one thing; very deep squats with 250# on your back is probably a no-no.

Gotta remember...  Early on, your quads, glutes and core are all atrophied...dead...so you're putting all that pressure on the joint when the muscles should be doing the work.  Gotta do the rebuild first.

Also...NO POUNDING the knee like running, jumping, etc.  That stuff is strictly off limits FOREVER as is any twisting or torquing of the knee.  Not good for the device.

• Posted

Thanks Chic.

This is valuable info.

2 weeks ago I really pushed a 'squat/bend' in the lower end of the swimming pool and suffered for it big time. OK today after taking it relatively easy for the guts of two weeks.

Now in hindsight, what you say makes sense. And is common sense, but you know what they say about common sense...............it's not very common🤕

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.