stage 3 = ckd

Posted , 9 users are following.

hi i got diagnosed a month ago with ckd stage 3... it been up and down for me...my function started at 59% 3 more blood tests it went down to 49% then 44% then up to 55%.....i new to this group... so it good to talk with others who have this

2 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Christine if for no other reason than to reassure you I think ygo on toou should ask for the referral or if you don't think GP will do it go to the walk in centre. 

Sometimes peace of mind is all we need.  I had three or four tests done in hospital;to find cause and solution. As I said before it is only my right kidney but it only functions at 30%. abd I'm on medication. 

Everyone is slightly different and it's easy to get bogged down with all the info. Go with your gut instinct and get the answers you need. 

One good thing is that less than 1% of people with stage three ckd go on to stage four.

• Posted

i know.....but it like dr like deal with it and gave me this site and said ...you can get info from there ..cause i told him i was also unsure..what i should be avoiding or not food wise.....like i said my daughter rung hospital..... she said you might be taking wot dr saying but i,m not xx
    • Posted

You can ask to see a  dietitian.  There are some medicines you need to avoid. Ibrobrufen and decongestants especially. But a pharmacist will be able to advise.  I hope you get the answers and help you need. 
  • Posted

Hi guys.

This is my first ever post.

I have read this thread with interest. I too have been diagnosed with CKD stage 3 and my GFR is 56. That doesn't sound too bad but I'm not in my 70's. I'm 30 years younger than that and my GFR has dropped 10% in 8 weeks. I'm also a marathon runner so I have no idea if I will be able to run again because I know that 3 endurance events put a lot of pressure on kidneys. I guess it's probably a no?

My GP is being brilliant. He's double checking my heart is ok and he's regularly checking my blood and urine. It's just nice to speak to other people who are in the same position!

• Posted

I was diagnosed in my 30s and I'm 49 now. my GP has always encouraged me to be as fit as possible. Ask your GP for advice on your running as you maybe surprised. Even though you have ckd3 the reasons for having it may be different from others with ckd3, so get professional advice. 
    • Posted

Thanks Louise. I'm still under the consultant. They're trying to decide if there is an underlying cause. I'm still training but I'm not running for four hours on a Saturday right now!

I'd never even heard of CKD until last month. And they're currently checking my blood WEEKLY?  

A bit much? 

• Posted

Liverbird, you haven't recently started taking any medication for high blood pressure have you?  I ask because the latest BP medication they tried me on caused my eGFR to drop from 47 to 39 in just 3 1/2 weeks, with an abnormal rise in Creatinine and Urea, and reduced sodium levels. Luckily a repeat blood test last week (4 weeks after discontinuing the pill) shows an improvement back up to eGFR46, with the other tests also normalising

How did you come to be diagnosed with CKD3 in the first instance?  Was the initial  blood test carried out because you felt unwell?

It's good to hear that they're monitoring you well.  I know they usually scan the kidneys using an intravenous dye when looking for any problems.  I hope if they do find a problem it is easiy treated.  Lots of good luck wishes.

• Posted

Weekly isn't a bad thing if it's dropped 10% in such a short time. My GP only checks mine yearly so it sounds as if your being well looked after. Let us know how you get on. 
    • Posted

Hi Mrs O! 

I'm not on BP medication. If anything my BP is low. I went to the doc with what I thought were bizarre symptoms (excessive sweating, palpitations, ankle swelling, and fatigue) and they initially barked up the wrong tree and went down the heart route. A renal function test thrown in as an extra came up with a GFR of 56 which hasn't improved at all even though they've checked it four times.

They're still doing the heart checks because I'm having so many missed heartbeats but I feel quite well now apart from horrendous oral thrush and a bleeding pallette. I have no idea why! 

It's great news your levels are normalising. I hope you're feeling well

• Posted

Hi Louise.

I'm assuming that once they've finished trying to work out WHY I have it they'll lessen the frequency of the tests? I've just been for another one. I feel like a pin cushion! But as far as things stand right now I feel I have had excellent care. 

• Posted

Hi again Liverbird, I suppose it isn't surprising that they went down the heart route first because all those symptoms to which you refer often accompany heart problems.

I was wondering if your blood tests (ESR and CRP) show raised inflammation markers which might point to an autoimmune condition of some sort - there are many such conditions and some of them can attack organs such as the heart and kidneys.

I hope they get to the bottom of it soon because it can't be much fun if you are still suffering all those symptoms without any treatment.

• Posted

My doctor did blood work on me because I have had bloating and nausea....these are the results sent to me:

CBC W/ AUTO DIFF.

elevated Creatinine and decreased GFR consistent with stage 3 (moderate) CKD...low IgA...remainder normal rec: radiology order for HIDA to confirm or rule-out biliary dyskinesia

Does this mean I have stage 3 CKD?

• Posted

I am new to this group.  I was diagnosed two months ago with CKD3, kidney stones and kidney cysts.  My gfr is 50 with high BUN and creatinine.  My cysts are in both kidneys with the largest being 2.5cm.   Undergoing tests now and will return to doctors in Oct.   I  have back pain and fatigue.   Any advice would be appreciated. 
  • Posted

Hi, I’m new to this discussion, but I have had tubulointerstital nephritis for around 25 years.  My Nephrologist says my kidneys are working at 42% but my eGFR is 55. I had renal failure in July 2000 which I recovered quite well from. This result of my blood tests is a bit of a concern to me as it says that this is Stage 3 renal failure.  What does this mean exactly? I know this doesn’t answer your query Christine, but somebody may be able to...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.