Stairs.

Posted , 14 users are following.

Can someone please give me some info?  I had a partial knee replacement six weeks ago. How long will I take steps one at a time?  will there ever be a time when I'll be able to take stairs normally or is this the new norm? 

Thanks. 

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I'm 7 weeks po tkr tomorrow, and oddly enough last week I tried coming downstairs properly. Well, only did it the one step!! Painful! And I was hanging onto both banisters. Going up I managed every other step with the bad leg hauling up, just about OK but definately need to strengthen my muscles. But really I'm amazed at how this last two weeks things have got so easy to do.  I don't bother with a stick indoors, and even yesterday I walked and for a split second had to think "which leg is the bad one"?!!

Still  can't the knee more than 90, but if I've made this much progress with only 6 weeks at home, then I'm super reassured that it'll come in its own time. I even tried kneeling on my bed this morning, only for 5 seconds and not my full weight, but I was impressed!!   This is the woman who cried for the first three weeks and couldn't see how she would ever walk properly again!!

So, if anyone reading this is struggling, stop panicking, relax and take it steady. You'll do it in your own time.

Plus reading on here has helped me immensely, thanks everyone. You've been with me on my journey, and I intend to keep you close!  

• Posted

That's amazing progress for TKR ! 

Well done but don't overdo it. At the end of the day even the smallest improvement is a real confidence booster.

• Posted

Hi Elaine

I am almost 10 weeks post op double tkr and just Friday went up and down stairs normally at therapy carrying a ball and then the bolleo pillow so I could not HD rails. Very slow, wobbled a little at first but when I used the leg that was stronger to go first... I had more bakance. Am practicing at home now. It will all come together for you in time! Good luck!

• Posted

Hi    9 months since right TKR.  I still do stairs one at a time especially when tired or in a hurry or carrying stuff.  I can do them 'properly' but it takes time.  So the mechanical function is there, but not the confidence totally.  However, it may be due to varifocals and being a bit cautious on stairs anyway. I agree with Cheryl who said 'There is no shame in taking the stairs ANY way as long as it is SAFE.'

I know I will never be able to sprint un and down the stairs again. (especially as the left knee is now playing up).

I was taught i hospital to lead with the 'good' leg going up and the operated one going down. I don't know if that helps.

• Posted

Hi Elaine (and others) - I am 7 weeks post-op PKR,  and have found that any attempt at normal stair climbing depends on time of day and amount of rest.  Mostly, I still go one step at a time, but have found that going down is easier (different than most patients on here), especially if I step down on the TOES of the good leg, still holding onto the bannister. (I guess that allows for a couple less inches of stretch?  In any case, it boosts confidence.)  Occasionally, I surprise myself by being able to actually take the stairs normally (with bannister), but that is an exception and probably depends on how recently I have taken meds, etc.)  I think there is hope!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.