Stairs tkr

Posted , 13 users are following.

I’m having my knee done August 3rd I have 14 stairs at my house ! How hard is it going to be when I come home?

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Lori! My bedroom is upstairs at my house but about a year ago I had to move downstairs to a guest room because of my knee. If you have that as an option I think it would be ideal. I’m just over 3 weeks out and my home physical therapist had me do my stairs the other day for practice should I need to go up. I think during the 1st two weeks stairs will be very hard but definitely talk to Your Dr and maybe PT for tips & advice. I found these first few weeks extremely painful but manageable with meds, rest and exercise. Since I live alone I spend the first 10 days in a rehab center ( after 2 nights in the hospital). As much as I didn’t want to go, I was convinced by family & friends and very glad I had that time to be taken care of while getting stronger. 

All the best to you!

• Posted

Thank you! I’m wondering about rehab. My husband is st home but not very good caregiver. I will see what doctor says.
    • Posted

you won't be constantly bed ridden.  even though you will be in pain.  it's better to move around rather than lay in bed all day and get stiff.  so even though I had friends helping,   I still fed my cats every day by myself.  That gave me the confidence to  get myself to the bathroom by my self.  Biggest problem was getting into the bathtub to take a shower, I have shower doors.  so I needed help climbing into the tub.  but if you don't have the doors, PT will show you how to sit on the edge of tub and lift you legs over.   I had no idea what to expect after the surgery.  just go with it.  take the pain meds, do the exercises. and you will heal!!!

• Posted

Is your other knee in good shape?  I have 45 steps to get to my bedroom floor.  With crutches, they will get you used to them before you leave the hospital, you should be able to manage.  You can do the steps slowly and going up with your unoperated leg. . 

The steps ultimately will help you build your quads but in the first three months take it slow and be gentle with yourself.  All good wishes. 

• Posted

Yes my other knee is ok! Thank you filir your feedback . I’m nervous about surgery but happy at the same time .
  • Posted

You will find it painfully to start with but as days and weeks go along it will get easier. Keep up the exercises even though it maybe painfully. Don't forget to ice plus elevate your leg. Do not over do things patience is the virtue. It will take time but you will feel better. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Lorri,

i had bilateral tkr’s and also have 14 steps up to my home, which is a unit above another. So, not having a “ good” leg between them, I was also worried but with the Physios help, practicing walking up 4 steps and down again, while in hospital,   I managed quite easily.when I got home.  I would try and go up and down them everyday while I was recoupering.  Holding on to the railings for dear lifeGoing up was quite ok..  2 yrs later, going down still feels strange.  I’m in Australia.  I was in rehab for a week after op and wasn’t given anymore physio once I’d left.  Worked out ok.  You’ll be fine I’m sure.   They won’t let you home until you can manage steps.  Good luck.

Sue

• Posted

Hi Lorri.

I manage the stairs at hospital , they are wide and low. There are handrails also.

Not everyone has stairs like these.

The first time I attempted my stairs i did t manage it.

I go up side ways using my cane.

Good leg to back of the stair, then operated leg.and keep repeating.

Physio suggested this method.

Im now going up stairs normally.

Good luck

Linda

• Posted

I had no problem with stairs right from leaving hospital, even with a dodgy hip and other knee. I could not put my weight on my new knee until later but now 6 months on I am using both knees, it is easier going up than down and I still use both stair rails but I am getting there.

Good luck with the op.

• Posted

Thanks this encourages me. My friend kept telling me you vent do it! You will have to go to rehab and I don’t want to😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.