Stairs tkr

Posted , 13 users are following.

I’m having my knee done August 3rd I have 14 stairs at my house ! How hard is it going to be when I come home?

1 like, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Lorrie

I had tkr feb 13, 2018.  I'm really doing well.  walking fine, riding a bike outside.  barre , pilates and yoga classes.  But the first few weeks were pretty painful.  I also have 14 steps to my apartment.  I didn't use the stairs for my first 2 weeks because had physical therapy in my home. But after 2 weeks I had outpatient.  You just have to go slow.  one step at a time.  baby steps down and up.

I live alone also, but had one friend stay with me 10 days, and another came and stayed a week.

my biggest problem was putting ice into my "ice machine".  if you can get this ice machine it will be so helpful.   

At this point in my recovery I am so glad I did it!  I feel so much better.  Good Luck!! 

• Posted

ok, so you had your surgery two weeks after me, and I still can't do the bike.  If I force it to go around I can, but it is very painful.  I still have knee pain, swelling and warm to the touch.  What did you do that I didn't.  I thought I was doing everything that I was told to do.  Any hints for me??

• Posted

Hi Martha

I was pretty active before my surgery.  But limited to a lot because of my bad knee.  My outpatient PT was 3 days a week for 8 weeks.  very  intense.  It took me a while, but my therapy had me on a stationary bike,  the seat started out high, but little by little we lowered the seat so I could push the pedals around and increase my range of motion.  initially it was very painful.  I still lower the seat for 5 minutes when I'm at the gym,  to get my knee revolving.  I keep up with my home exercises everyday before I get out of bed.  especially my heel slides. 

we are all different, so the healing process is different ...  My ROM is 115.  I got it to 125 in therapy. but that was forcing it.  I can't straighten it all the way either.  so I do knee straighteners with a towel underneath.  just don't give up!!

• Posted

I i won't give up but it's sooo frustrating.  I just got home from lunching and shopping and now Im sitting with the damn ice pack, like 4 months ago.  I had this surgery to be able to comfortably go shopping and play with grands, and do things that I enjoy again.  But, that hasn't happened , yet!!!   I would never have had this surgery if I had known it was going to be like this.  Great picture of you at the barre.  My oldest daughter is a dancer, but now has a pilates studio in her house and she stays very very busy with clients.  I admire your tenacity.  Are you in the US or UK ?

• Posted

I live in New Jersey  USA.  I was crying and so frustrated 3 months ago.  and I'm so much better now.  and you will be too!

• Posted

1st. Physio will show you how to do it. They have 3 up and down for you to practise on.

I went up with good leg 1st bringing up the bad.

Coming down holding onto bannister rail, bad leg first ( it really is ok) followed by good leg.

Had Zimmer frame upstairs by stairs and crutches downstairs bottom of the stairs.

Hope this helps and your op is a success.

Its a long road then to recovery.

Best wishes 

Sue

• Posted

Wow you were lucky next day my T K R they had me walking down the corridor then up and down 15 steps.
  • Posted

Coming down is the hardest.

I had two handrails fitted makes life a lot easier.

For the first 3 weeks i slept downstairs.

• Posted

Hi don't worry about the stairs you will be fine as posted you will be shown how to do it .. i am 1 month in and can now go up and down nearly normally . But do it at your own pace I can't say it often enough and I speak from experience from.my left tkr take is easy and take it slow just keep that joint moving stretches and bends .

• Posted

Hi Lorri, I have a full staircase too plus two steps down or up into various rooms in my house downstairs. I had planned on recovering upstairs in my bedroom where I have an ensuite bathroom and could be close to the toilet. I had both knees replaced at the same time AND I was determined to get up those stairs when I got home from the hospital. I was in the hospital for 4 days and then in extended care for another 4. So, all that is to say, I came home after 8 days. During my in hospital PT I told them I needed to climb stairs when I got home, so they knew that and helped me to accomplish it in PT before they discharged me. The day I was able to practice climbing their little miniature stairs they had in the PT room, I requested to be discharged asap. The biggest factor as to "if" you will be able to get up those stairs is: how good will your range of motion (ROM) be? For me, I had good ROM  pretty early. BUt my leg  strength was really weak. I had my husband and adult son in back of me as I attempted to climb my home stairs. I thought, If I can't do it, they can lift me up them. But I was able to using the railing and then used my walker when I got to the top.  Do your PT faithfully while in hospital and you should be able to climb stairs when you go home. I only came down our stairs once a day after the first week or two as it was a lot of work. My husband works at home so he brought up to me all that I needed. I hope you do well. Be determined!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.