Staples

Posted , 13 users are following.

Good afternoon everyone ! I hope you are all doing well! I am coming up to my 3 week post op on my LTKR! Everything is going pretty well although my leg aches! Thursday I will be going in to have my staples taken out and was wondering if that is painful? I would appreciate any comments or advice! Thank You!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi no its not painful, I was dreading it , I had 25 removed but it was ok

Good luck x

• Posted

I had my staples out at 3 weeks as well.  Very little if any discomfort except for 1 that was slightly embedded.  Even then it was just a minor pull/prick.  

Come to think of it.... Everything is minor compared to the horrible surgical pain the 1st few weeks!  😂

You will do just fine!

• Posted

Jarme, just wanted to add that I am 10 1/2 weeks post op & my scar looks great!  Very faint line & staple marks will be non exsistent soon!

• Posted

Hi Cathysf,

I agree the surgical pain is brutal!

• Posted

Hi Jarme

Although it was Almost 2 years ago the nurse did mine at home no pain whatsoever hope yours go the same and good luck with your recovery

Johnny.

• Posted

Had no staples thank God.  Matter of fact I didn't even have staples unless it was the dissolving kind...

• Posted

Hi I had staples 7 years ago but think they came out at 2 wks , no it didn’t hurt . This time they used glue on my other knee and that was much better . Don’t worry
  • Posted

compared to everything else its not bad it takes a few minutes. We are both in the same time frame I was 3 weeks PO yesterday. My staples ( all 53 of them ) came out on the 5th 
    • Posted

Hi nwf477,

53 staples! Wow! I’ve got 29 and thought that was a lot!!

• Posted

if you have never had staples before 29 is a lot but unlike you I have been thru this too many times this was # 6 revision wise 18 surgeries overall. At one point after the 4th or 5th revision I asked the Dr. instead of staples how about a zipper it would make future surgeries easier he thought I was nuts.
    • Posted

nwf477,

That’s a lot of surgeries and revisions! Best of luck on this last one! I like the zipper comment! Thank you for the replies!

• Posted

No not painfull at all. I was nervous too because my knee was swollen. Just a little tug no pain.
  • Posted

Any uncomfortable procedure, it helps to distract yourself.  Radio, talking, rub your arm, look for Waldo--anything!!  I had a bone marrow biopsy once, and the room was stone quiet, so all I could think about was the pressure.  Yours will be over quickly with no lasting  hurt.
  • Posted

Hi jarme getting the staples out is a quick procedure. A bit uncomfortable but when they're out it's much better. So don't worry about it. Yes I found the first few weeks my leg ached a bit like toothache. I'm 15 weeks post ltkr and a lot easier now and sleeping normally. Just remember to excercise rest and ice daily to build that muscle back up but when your knee tells you to rest do it.

• Posted

I had self dissolving staples, as I healed so they disappeared.

No sweat.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.