Staples

Posted , 13 users are following.

Good afternoon everyone ! I hope you are all doing well! I am coming up to my 3 week post op on my LTKR! Everything is going pretty well although my leg aches! Thursday I will be going in to have my staples taken out and was wondering if that is painful? I would appreciate any comments or advice! Thank You!

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

It shouldn’t be unless they have got a bit embedded in the skin! Play safe and take some paracetamol 30 mins before! 
  • Posted

I had my TKR 2 weeks ago, but did not have staples. I had some internal disposable stitches and steristrips from top to bottom holding the wound together with a flexible dressing on to to cover them. The District nurse came yesterday to remove all the dressings which only took her a few minutes (she had a harder job trying to lift the edges of the strips with her disposable gloves on), The wound is dry and healing well
    • Posted

Hi Denise,

Thank you for the reply and glad to hear you are healing up well! Take care!!

• Posted

Jarme,

Don't sweat the removal of your staples - I too was worried about how painful it would be and was surprised at how easy it was.  All you will feel is little pinches which after we have been through is nothing.  I am 14 weeks out and still have an ache that seems to stem from hip and goes down through my leg.  Its not painful but it's annoying because it is just a constant ache.  PT not sure  what is from so I went to my doctor and just had an MRI of my hip and back.  They think it may also be my IT band.  Sleeping is the worst - it wakes me up and its like restless leg syndrome.  When i get an answer I'll let you know.  Again, removal of staples isn't too bad.  Relax - the worst is over.

Sue

• Posted

Soosan, 

We sound a lot alike! That’s what my leg feels like but mine is only 3weeks out! I wake up a lot at night! I can’t pinpoint where the ache is at-it’s just there! That would be great if you let me know what you find out! Thank You for the reply!

• Posted

Well not exactly the constant pain you feel once you get hone does get better but as far as the worse being over there will be times that it is going to hurt like he-l and after having been thru this many times I can verify it. The constant pain part does ease up but it takes awhile as in the 4-6 month time frame before you start feeling semi normal. You have to keep in mind this was a major surgery lots of things took place and it only makes sense that it is going to take lots of patience and exercise on our part before we can say we are over the hump. Not trying to bring anyone down but considering this is # 6 I have a pretty good idea of what to expect.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.