Staples out then theatre night

Posted , 9 users are following.

help,

I bought tickets for a show ages ago and long before I had date for full knee replacement which took place 2 weeks ago. Tomorrow I get the staples out in and show is that night, the very same day!

Am I mad to think I can still go to the show?

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

In a nutshell - yes! Sitting with your leg bent like that for that length of time, not to mention getting there and back is likely to be far too much for your knee to take in my opinion. I was taken out for lunch about 3 weeks after my TKR and my knee became very uncomfortable, not to mention how tired it made me, and that was with a lift from door to door and no stairs involved. Personally, I wouldn't risk it unless you can already sit for prolonged periods in a cramped space with your foot on the floor.

• Posted

I agree - I cannot think of anything worse at that stage that you could put yourself through.

Stay home and take care of your knee.

• Posted

many thanks, I should have said I was able to change my seat to an isle one so I can straighten my knee and also get up and stretch if need be. also no stairs as there is a lift.

I'll play it by ear if it doesn't feel right I'll know and leave.

• Posted

I had to laugh. You've obviously made up your mind to go, so not too sure why you asked the question. It sounds as if you're doing well though and have thought about it and made adjustments so I hope it works out for you and you get to enjoy the show. Let us know how you get on. I'll be interested to hear. There's no way my knee would gave coped, but these knees are all very different, so maybe you'll be one of the lucky ones. Good luck.

• Posted

so far I've been able to walk for about 1/2 hr with the dogs in the park and sit in a restaurant for about 1.5hrs. ......getting up yes, I'm stiff but it soon wears off once I get going again.

• Posted

I think you need to concern yourself with really looking after your knee and less about proving to yourself and others that you're wonder woman. at two weeks you should be icing 20-30 minutes several times a day, physiotherapy and daily exercises and plenty of rest. Young and old, the energy drain takes it out of us . All i can say is, enjoy the show uneventfully.

• Posted

There is no way you are able to go to a show 2 weeks after a TKR . Sitting in what is really a confined space. You will not be able to move easily for 2 hours or so. It is very unlikely you will be able to bend your knee enough to be able to sit still for 2 hours. You ask if you are mad to think you can go to the show, my answer is I think you would be crazy to go. It is possible your knee may swell after the staples are removed. Read some more posts on here and you will see what progress others have made, I don't think many, if any have been to a show so soon after the op.

• Posted

thanks and understand but as I said I've got an isle seat, can stretch my leg, get up when I want without disturbing.

went for a coffee with friends,yesterday and sat for 1.5 hrs chatting, I was stiff when I got up but that soon wore off with walking.

• Posted

Your choice, but it's over 20 years since my TKR and I believe it is lasting so long because I took care of it after the op. Physio and exercise as often as possible without over doing it. Medication to control pain before physio. I'm sorry but I really think you are trying to talk yourself into going to the show and nothing anyone says will change your mind. I hope you will be ok if you go, but if it were me I wouldn't go.

• Posted

i would think long and hard before going to a show that would be at least 1 1/2 or 2 hrs long. | expected my knee to be much more functional once the staples were out with the dressing off. i felt vunerable at first thinking it would split open so had it covered for 24 hrs. sitting for long periods of time is not easy as you may have to get up and stretch your leg, that is only my opinion...

• Posted

thanks and understand but as I said I've got an isle seat, can stretch my leg, get up when I want without disturbing.

went for a coffee with friends, sat for 1.5 hrs chatting, I was stiff when I got up but that soon wore off with walking.

• Posted

as everyone says, sounds like you're just looking for confirmation to go to the show but everyone, including me, thinks it's a big risk right after having the staples removed. personally, I'd be more worried about bumping into people going in and out of the theatre, and possibly damaging your freshly exposed scar.

• Posted

Well good luck. I agree it sounds like you really already had your mind made up to go.

I think you are being foolish, but its your knee and your after care.

• Posted

totally nuts. you would be off your head to even think about that

• Edited

Really not sure why you posted this since you are really determined to do something that anyone with common sense would cancel. Not to mention that you are sitting for such a long time, aisle seat or not. What if you end up falling. Being out in a crowd where people are likely going to be pushing to get to their seats, etc, you could end up falling. I don't know what the show is that is so important to you, or are you trying to convince yourself and others that you are some sort of super hero? You really should reconsider. I don't even know you but am concerned if you are willing to do this, what other careless things are you doing. I hope everything goes well for you since you seem to be determined to go, but I would never consider going anywhere at two weeks besides the doctors office and home.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.