Started Esmya. How long until bleeding should stop?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi all. I started Esmya 6 days ago and am still bleeding, heavy at times. Had a slow wean off norethisterone, last tablet was 2 days before starting Esmya. So prob having a withdrawal bleed from that but just wondering how long til Esmya kicks in.

Had big haemorrhage at Xmas and lost over 30% blood volume so any bleeding leaves me highly anxious and unable to function normally. Has anyone else experienced that?

Also, consultant put mirena in 2 mths ago to help control bleeding. He said it won't impact on effect of Esmya but I've read that it can as they're both competing for progesterone receptors. Have others come across this at all? Is there anyone else out there on Esmya who also has the mirena? Did you have any results?

Thank you.

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Caz yes i had esmya for 3 months prior to my surgery and my first period on it lasted 6 weeks but that was a great improvement from 3 months which is how long my periods were going on for before the esmya!!  My next period was much shorter and lighter.  I am now 5 weeks post op myomectomy and am waiting for my first period to see how it is...kinda worried.
    • Posted

Hi Velbim

That's reassuring that your periods did shorten in length but goodness, 3 months! You poor thing! How long were you not bleeding for? Sounds like there was very little respite, you must have been very anaemic! Hope the op has helped you with this.

Caroline

• Posted

Hi Caz i would stop bleeding for one week then start again.  It was truly horrendous.  Yes i was very anaemic but the Docs gave me Provera and then another drug whose name i cant recall to stop my periods while my Hb rose. 

I still have to wait and see whether my periods ease up as i have not had one yet. I am positive that i will see an ease because the biggest monsters have gone.  

I was amazed at how soft my tummy was immediately post op haha.

• Posted

Hi caz. I just started my Esmya. 1 week now. So far, head ache was the first side effect i noticed on that first day i took it and no more until today. Some of the days i felt tired but i kept myself awake or moving so i won't be sleeping all day to avoid gain weight. Still watching my diet esp away from meat, dairy, sugary, wheat. More on green. I lost 5kgs within a month. Exercise sometimes. Trying not to be lazy in the house. My tummy looks smaller as i lost weight but need to persevere in eating ang exercise. Will update on Esmya.

By the way, anyone knows how will i know if Esmya is working?

Thanks to all. We will keep on updating each other.

• Posted

Hi suicra, well done on the dieting, I'm trying but it's hard. 

I found I could physically tell the difference in size after taking Esmya for 4-6 weeks. The womb feels softer and further away from my belly button. Not very scientific I know, the only true way is by having a scan, and obviously it's a great bonus when the bleeding stops too, indicating the fibroids are no longer growing.

• Posted

Hi christine. Im just wondering. Do you feel pain at times like a minor period pain? Because last few days, it was a bit painful then i saw some coloured or light blood. Have you experienced that?
    • Posted

Hi, yes certainly during the first 6 weeks but definitely not later on, I had no bleeding at all. I decided stop taking Esmya 10 days ago while I tried or Apple Cider Vnegar ( will post seperately about this) but my bleeding has stated again so it was a bad move.
    • Posted

Hi Christine - just wanted to let you know that it's the blackstrap molasses that helps with the bleeding.  The apple cider vinegar helps with the shrinkage of the fibroids.  So if you are only taking the ACV you would most likely still have symptoms (bleeding, bloating, pain).
    • Posted

I was taking both Shannon, have gone through half a bottle of the molasses in 10 days!
    • Posted

Hi Suicra

Yes, I definitely get that - cramp type pain and then some spotting/sometimes heavier. I'm on week 4 of my first course of Esmya. I bled quite heavily for first 2 weeks and it's been on and off since then. I had been hoping they would stop completely but have resigned myself to the fact they haven't. Hoping, like several ladies, that they might have stopped by 6 weeks if not before. I'm also taking BM. I've tried ACV but seems to give me a touch of the runs the next morning, even with only half tspn. I've also started green smoothies for breakfast and thinking that may also be having an effect. Will start ACV in another week or so. Such a long journey.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.