Started mirtazapine.

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hi all i have just started taking mirtazapine at 30mg and the following day I felt awful I didn't want to move my legs felt depleted but I'm not sure if that was just from the heat of the day recently.

My head has been very unmotivated which I hoped this medicine would help.

All in all I've felt very bad and I'm wondering if it is worth it to take it again tonight?

It sort of wore off the lethargic effect about 6pm so I worked out, which was a struggle.

I'm not sure about all this.

Thank-you for any help.

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi I only took it for 3 weeks and felt rotten so stopped it So now I'm back to not sleeping again.

My gp swapped me from citalopram to mirtazapine and within 2 weeks I felt suicidal. That's just me everyone of course is different I'm back on citalopram now and feeling much better.

I wish you the best and hope it's just a passing thing. I too have also been wiped out by the heat recently so hopefully it's just that.

• Posted

This heat is wiping us all out. Have recently gone back onto MIrtazapine. Was not so knackered yesterday and other cooler days.

Your motivation won't build until drug gets through to the brain, that takes a while, it hits the body first.

If symptoms are from Mirtazapine then they should wear off soon.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hi Damocles.Been on Mirt for about 6 months starting at 15mg going to 30mg about 4 1/2 months ago(15 am,15pm).You'll feel symtoms for at least a couple weeks until your body adjusts.Mine were more the foggy brain feeling.It works so/so for my depression/anxiety during the day but good at night to relax and sleep fairly well(about 5-6 good hours,sketchy after that).Praying for you.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

Thank you all who wrote back.

It's only been two days but I don't think I can handle two maybe three weeks of these feelings.

I need to be active and at the moment it's the hardest thing to walk in town or get groceries.

I probably can not run or lift weights much or at all.

I may stop and see someone who is in mental health, I've never really liked GP's giving out these kind of drugs.

I hope all of you are doing okay with it.

• Posted

Hi Damocles.I would definately talk to a mental health person.I have a counselor I see plus a psc although all they are really good for now is handing out the meds.I don't blame them because the way the health system is set up they are on a tight schedule and don't have time to really talk to you much.I live in the US so I don'y know if it's the same in the UK,if that's where your at.My counselor is part of a health system but she has her own practice at night so she can be more flexible when I see her.But for the most part it's my talking with God and Jesus(all the time!) that helps me.I think I my own line to them I am talking so much! Do you take it for sleep only or for anxiety/depression asweell like me?God Bless You.Bob

• Posted

Hi,

Just thought it worth a mention, if you want to stop the Mirt do it soon or you may not be able to "just stop".  Unfortunately, in as little as a week on Mirt you may find you get discontinuation/withdrawal symptoms if youu just stop, you may have to taper off.

Hope you work it out, best wishes.

• Posted

Hello, I have only had it for two days and I had a lot of side effects. So i am Not Sure if i should continue.

I've felt like a zombie for two days straight.

• Posted

Tough choice really, I can only add that for me it worked really well for my insomnia immediately, but yes, the fatigue was 24/7 for me and I very quickly gained weight.  But being over weight was better than the insomnia so I stayed with it.  

The first week was the most difficult with the tiredness.  You don't say why you are taking it, insomnia, anxiety, depression?  It's all a matter of how well you are coping I guess.  I wouldn't keep starting and stopping the Mirt, make a decision and stick with it because it can mess with your CNS with any yoyo-ing.  

Best wishes.

• Posted

Well I finally decided to see what a doctor might offer for my up and down moods, anxiety and sleeplessness and feeling very down but not knowing when that might be.

• Posted

Hi Damocles.Hang in there! I have alot of down days too so I can definately relate.Talking to a counsoler could help some.Find one that you feel comfortable with.With me getting back to God has helped because if I thought this all there is and I would have no relief in the end from my suffering....You get my drift.I'll be praying for you and hope you can get some relief soon.God Bless You,Bob

• Posted

I have been on mirtaz for a while but every time i try to increase dose it makes me feel terrible and i end up going down a dose.  Yes, its great for sleep but now im waking at 3am with it.  Nurse suggested i try one night bigger dose, then next smaller and graduate it up.   Im not sure about that.  All i know is that i had this med twenty years ago for a year then got better.  This time im having a shaky time on it.  I just dont know whether to continue or not as they have tried others which were awful for me.
    • Posted

Hi Ann

What dose are you on and what dose do you try to increase it to?  When you say a while, how long have you been on it this time?

There are so many factors to consider of course, are you taking any other meds or recently stopped taking any?

Mirt' can be difficult for so many people and yet work very well for others.  Same applies to tapering, a few seem to be able to taper without too much suffering and yet others have to take a very slow slide off it.  It all depends on our own DNA, we all react differently to different meds.

Are you UK?  When you say you see the nurse, here in UK I never get to see a nurse only a doctor ... 

Wishing you well smile  

• Posted

So i didn't take my 30mg dose last night and I feel better this morning not so dizzy or lethargic but I had quite allot of very bad dreams.

I've only had two dosages I shouldn't have that much in my system right?

I'm not sure if it's better not to take anything.

• Posted

HI I've been in 15mg mirtazapine for 6 weeks now and it's working wonders for me . The first few days I was very tired in the morning and had sore legs but after that it's been fine . I work full time and I go to the gym everyday and mirtazapine isn't affecting my activeness . Maybe try taking a 15mg dose and then working up ? I wouldn't quit so soon though . Mirtazapines literally saved my life . Hope you manage to get sorted .

X

• Posted

Hey Rebecca, were you taking them for Depression? Happy to hear that they're actually helping you... makes me hopeful!! x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.