Started mirtazapine - jitters

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thanks to everyone who answered me about transition from paroxetine to mirtazapine - very helpful. I took my first mirtazapine last night. I slept well and am not groggy today as I'd feared I would be - BUT there's something else I hadn't expected - I feel jittery, light-headed.  It's not making it impossible to do anything, it's just not very nice. Is this something short-lived that will pass once my system adapts to the new drug?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

It should pass after a while but if you are worried I would phone your gp to b on the safe side. It made me very jittery at the beginning 
    • Posted

Thank you Chris, how long did they last for you?
    • Posted

A few weeks to settle down for me. Unfortunately I felt so drowsy even on 45 mg that I’m back to 15mg and hopefully coming off. Everybody is different , so hopefully it’s the right one for you. I would be interested in how it’s goes. Take care Chris 
  • Posted

Hi Alison, There are numerous side effects, I think the jitters are probably the most common. Take it from someone who's been there, if you're not happy or worried about what Mirt is doing to you get straight back to the Docs. My last 5 months with no great improvement and the hell I've been through this last week since the Doc decided to cut them down, I wouldn't wish that on anyone.

• Posted

Thank you, Frimley. Do you mean Mirtazapine is hard to come off? - I'm transitioning over to it from paroxetine myself and if taking it for a while means I can come off paroxetine (after nearly 10 years) I'll be delighted, even if I then have another tough coming-off period to face ahead. What's your dosage?

• Posted

I suppose its all relative aye, I've found mirtazipine a doddle in comparison to coming of Diazepam/ Valium.

• Posted

I started on and ended up on 45. They've just cut me down to 15 again after 5 months on Mirt. It's taken me 4 days so far and it's been awful.

• Posted

It started at 15 then increased to 45 over 5 months. Coming off it on to Citrolapram has been hard.
    • Posted

I'm sorry to hear that. 4 bad days, but my counsellor always says to take each day at a time so that's 4 days of success so far.

• Posted

Tell me more frimley. It was my first day on 15 from 45
    • Posted

Diazapam withdrawal put me in Hospital, 

Gp stopped prescribing after a year and let me get on with it. 

It has it uses in small doses but not long term 

I for one will never go near it again 

• Posted

I've never had an addiction but in all the shows I've seen about addicts doing cold turkey, what I've been through this last few days was just like it. Shakes, hot, cold, chest pains, it was bloody awful. Today's my best day yet but I think I've still got a few days to go. I tried the 15 mg but went to 25 for 2 days then 20. I'm starting 15 tonight. I've been on 10 mg of citalopram a day which I raise to 20 on Friday, fingers crossed.

• Posted

Hello Chris, how's it going. I'm still suffering. Started 20mg of Citalopram today, I really hope it helps cos I feel lousy at the moment.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.