Started mirtazapine - jitters

Posted , 5 users are following.

Thanks to everyone who answered me about transition from paroxetine to mirtazapine - very helpful. I took my first mirtazapine last night. I slept well and am not groggy today as I'd feared I would be - BUT there's something else I hadn't expected - I feel jittery, light-headed.  It's not making it impossible to do anything, it's just not very nice. Is this something short-lived that will pass once my system adapts to the new drug?

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Yes, I was like that too, dropped cups etc but it passed 👍 sleep like a log every night, & live a normal life during the day.

• Posted

I felt ok on Mirtazapine when I first started taking it.  I felt very tired for the first few days, but that wore off a little bit.  First night on the drug, I did feel some restless leg side effects.  Over the next week or so, I started feeling jittery.  How to describe it ... it was similar to akathisia, but not.  It's weird, I was still very tired, but at the same time felt restless, like i drank too much coffee.  I also experienced restless arms and a slight tremor in my left hand.  I felt uncoordinated while walking down stairs.  As of a few nights ago, I have discontinued mirtazapine completely.  I had tapered off and got down to 1.875 mg and then discontinued completely.  I am still feeling some RLS symptoms, which I hope diminishes, despite being off the drug for 2 nights.  Knowing what I know now, I would have never taken this drug.  For some, it works well.  I think many have a love it or hate it mentality.  I fall into the latter category.  I started off at 7.5 mg, then upped the dose to 11 mg (which made my RLS even worse) and then went down to 3.75 mg and then 1.875 mg.  I was only on the drug for one month.  That was enough for me.  The jittery feeling on top of feeling unmotivated and wanting to stay in bed all day made it an easy choice to discontinue.  This drug should be banned.  This is a potent drug, even a small speck will impact you the next day.

• Posted

Yes definitely , I totally agree but for some people it seems to do the trick. I have a friend who takes it and has not had any problems, I suppose that will come when it’s time to come off them. It sounds like you are very sensitive to meds like me

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.