Started Orlistat today and confused

Posted , 113 users are following.

Hi! I have just started Orlistat today and have been trying to find a sample plan or menu for the last couple of weeks without success. I know that I shouldn't have anything that is more than 5g fat per 100g however when it comes to exactly what to eat I don't have a clue, I normally eat Quorn, Turkey, Chicken, and fish and eat potatoes, rice, pasta and quinoa. Do I eat like normal but watching my portion size.

I am a huge crisp, chocolate, and biscuit person so would also appreciate help on healthier snacks. I had my first gym session this morning first of many, need to lose 5 stone 11lbs to be my goal weight of 10stone 10lbs. I would like to be half way there on actually there in 6 months would love if it was faster but don't want to put pressure on myself.

3 likes, 199 replies

199 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi, I'm considering going to the GP to discuss Orlistat. But when I mentioned it to my boyfriend he pulled a face, mainly because he does the cooking at home and he thinks it will be difficult for him to guage the 15g fat per meal. He grumbled that I'd be best off having WW ready meals (which I think are a bit bland and boring!), but I said that grilled chicken, new pots and veg is fine (which we often have) and he still didn't look impressed.

He quit smoking a year ago, saying he did it for us so he can live longer. He hints that I should do the same with weight loss, but then doesn't do anything to help! I mean, on Thursday he ordered pizza for us both, how's that helping???

Does anyone else find that an unhelpful partner is making weight loss harder?

• Posted

Does your boyfriend actaully want you to lose weight? i know some men can be funny about it why can't you cook for yourself? and if he does order takeaways just don't eat them. My Husband has fully supported me and has eaten the same food as me however he does eat some stuff that i can't but i'm not bothered. Planning meals and working out the fat is easy if you had the dinner mentioned above that would be about 5/7g of fat depending on how much chicken you had veg doesn't have fat
    • Posted

He says he does, but then cooks lovely huge meals! I love my food, he knows I do, so cooks me the stuff I love because he loves me. I think he's as torn as I am over losing weight!

He works from home, and loves cooking, I get home late and hate cooking, so it suits us both to have a meal on the table when I get in. How can I then say "I'm not eating that (even though it looks delicious and it's RIGHT THERE ready to be eaten)" And go pop a WW meal in the microwave??? Torture for me and I feel so bad turning down a meal he has prepared for me......

He thinks he's doing the right thing by cooking what I love, how can I convince him to cook what I don't love? I have tried to ask for smaller portions, smaller plate, less butter, but he doesn't listen.......*sigh*

• Posted

What about making meals together at the weekend and freezing them (batch cooking) so you will always have something on hand? if it isn't going to fit your lifestyle what about slimming world and no tablets? he needs to realise that you want to do this (this post is not meant in a rude way) and you can love someone without filling them up on food. Did you support him when he gave up smoking? if the answer is yes put it to him that way  that you now need the support of him to eat more healthily you can extend YOUR life by choosing the right foods to eat etc because if he doesn't listen you will still be the same postion this time next year. How much have you got to lose? Good Luck
    • Posted

Hi britneyspears

I am 19st 4llbs and have just started taking Orlistat.  I tried this when I was younger and had a horrendoue experience, but my head and heart wasn't really in it.  

I have suffered from a combination of anorexia and bullemia in the past, now it is a combination of bullemia and binge eating disorder.  

Your post on this page are inspirational and I decided to post to this page to help with my motivation and to be able to chat with people in the same boat.  

So far so good, no side effects, I am being really strict with myself.  Special K Granola, fat free yoghurt and a fresh fruit smoothie.  For lunch I have a baked potato and low fat cottage cheese, salad and chicken for Dinner I am having chicken stir fry with brown rice.  I have sugar snap peas to snack on and rice cakes.  

Does this sound ok to you?

Thanks

• Posted

Finally found this thread briteyspears its brilliant and so many of us on the same weightloss road.  I bought myself a Collins gem Calorie Couter not for the calories but it has the fat content per 100g  or 100ml of whatever and its really another useful tool for some of us that don't have the myfitnesspal app.  Although I must say I am really scrutinising the labels of everything now, plus drinking far more water smile

• Posted

Hi @Maureen thankyou smile me too i am always label reading i will look out for that book! even if you don't have the MFP app you can do it via the website

i know me too i drink anywhere between 4-8 litres a day smile

• Posted

I no how hard it is to lose weight!!!but I feel you must be determined!!!you must have a goal!!!mine is operation when I reach 63.4 kg. it sounds a lot to lose to me !!!!but I WILL DO IT!!!!i keep telling myself!!!!i do like to be in touch with others who are doing there best!!!because we can help each other. With how we are manage ing to lose!!! Keep positive!!do your best!!xxx
  • Posted

Hi britneyspears

I am 19st 4llbs and have just started taking Orlistat.  I tried this when I was younger and had a horrendoue experience, but my head and heart wasn't really in it.  

I have suffered from a combination of anorexia and bullemia in the past, now it is a combination of bullemia and binge eating disorder.  

Your post on this page are inspirational and I decided to post to this page to help with my motivation and to be able to chat with people in the same boat.  

So far so good, no side effects, I am being really strict with myself.  Special K Granola, fat free yoghurt and a fresh fruit smoothie.  For lunch I have a baked potato and low fat cottage cheese, salad and chicken for Dinner I am having chicken stir fry with brown rice.  I have sugar snap peas to snack on and rice cakes.  

Does this sound ok to you?

Thanks

• Posted

Hi Laura Aww thankyou i like to post on here because i know how hard it was when i first started and knew nothing i went on to a forum (not this website) and they were so unhelpful it was like we have lost the weight and not going to tell you how to do it so i said to myself once i got the hang of it i wanted to post on a different forum and help others in the same boat.

your food is fine i snack on rice cakes too Kallo have brought out some new ones and they are nicer than snack a jacks your food is all healthy so don't worry.

I started at same weight as you infact a pound heavier and the weight has come off so quick and looking at your food listed yours will too i even still have treats you don't need to be deprived at all.

6 Months or a years time will go so quick it did with me at the start i was like oh no it's going to take a year etc but it really has gone quick and i am so glad i stuck to it. I mentally prepared myself for it about 2/3 months before i went to the DR and i was in the right frame of mind you can do it please let me know how you get on. Also are you weighing every month or week? i found it better for me personally to have it done every 4 weeks but everyone is different x

• Posted

My doctor is brilliant, a bit unconventional so due to commitments I don't need to  back for 2 months.  However I will probably weigh my self every month, so I will see a bigger difference.  Have had a few side effects, nothing major but think it has been what was previously in my system.  X . 

• Posted

I have been on ORLISTAT for 12 weeks. My starting weight 14.13 my weight today 14.12

My weight varies from 14.13 -14.8

Breakfast 

Oats porrage , 3 prunes, tea no sugar skimmed milk.

Lunch at work

Small bag of Tesco mixed fresh veggie chopped up and mixed with a pot of baked beans.

A yogurt

A fruit

A cup of tea or coffee

Evening meal

Fish or chicken sometimes meal with lots of veggie 

Yogurt

Fruit

Tea or coffee.

I'm not all that worried about my meal plan. What does worry me, and I believe is the reason my weight varies from 14.12 to 14.7 is constipation.

I just don't go to the loo unless the ORLISTAT helps. But, as I don't eat much fat, thats once a week!

I concentrate on fibre in my meals. If I eat bread. Anything with wheat, my system clogged up.

Sometimes when I get home from work, I'm so hungry that I couldn't ALL the bread. I have to buy break for my husband. 

• Posted

Are you drinking loads of water? I drink lots and lots of water!
  • Posted

Hi dee I started oristat 3 months ago. I have lost 8kg. I already feel a lot better. Diet no cakes sweets bread lots of fruit veg and white lean meat.  My doc said I can only have for 3 months!!!!buut I want more so I can get down to 64kg to enable me to have operation. I was 89kg to start.i want more HELP!!!!!good luck roberta48267 xx

• Posted

Hi @Roberta

the original poster isn't on here anymore. If you go to my profile you will see i have posted lots of advice on the tablets and they are the posts that most people use so you can get support there plus most of those people post daily

Well done on your weight loss x

• Posted

Hi britney thank you for my first reply.will go to your profile and look. I am new to Internet so I do hope you get this reply xxxroberta
    • Posted

Hi  Roberta Your welcome i also replied to your own posting about help. My profile will show i replied to that post that way you should be able to find it. x
    • Posted

Hi dear Britney...

I'm happy to read ur story and happy too u lost lots of weights salute!

Well, tomorrow will be my 3Rd day with Xenical, but today hvnt see yet any effect, just bloated hehe

I'm big fans of duromine but went a doc that explained me all bout it n encouraged me use this Xenical, I do have believe if this sure work on me.

Thx to all ur story make me more motivated n curious of this Xenical. sure I can do n you can do!!

Yayyy!!

Xoxo,

Angel, SG

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.