Started Taking Magnesium Glycinate for Anxiety/Stress but having bowel issues

Posted , 21 users are following.

I started to take Magnesium Glycinate about a week ago for Stress/Anxiety issues because my Dr. Wanted me on Buspar but I would rather find a natural remedy and found that Magnesium could help. So I bought Magnesium Glycinate and take 200mg in the Morning along with 500mg Of Taurine about an hour after I have taken One a Day multivitamin and Probiotic. 

What I have found Is Im having really loose stools, and I bought the Glycinate because it was supposed to not upset the stomach... But I'm going to the Bathroom Immediatly when I get up from bed and usually again 2-3 more times during the day.. Its not really diarrhea but loose stool, the morning seems to be more normal. But as the day goes on they are really ribbon thin, and then sometimes Diarrhea.. 

I've also just recently switched to a Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet .. Im just concerened about the stools being so thin.. but wondering if this is the Magnesium causing this or another issue? I have an appit with a GI doctor in about a month, for another issue I have been having with a feeling like something is always stuck in my throat/back, but have no heartburn etc... and after research I believe i may have LPR... so this complicates things more for me.. (( since PPI and antacids etc deplete magnesium))

Also after taking the Magnesium i seem to have a "spaced out" feeling and some lightheadedness... Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and how to fix it? Should I just go to the oil? or Try the Malate? Im not sure./...confused

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I had a bit of difficulty finding an optimum dose of magnesium.  It appears that my Vitamin D is too high, and probably calcium as well, so I'm not too worried about "balancing" at the moment, because I feel my need for extra magnesium is greater than the need for extra calcium, at least through the summer when I'm getting sun exposure.  What I'm currently doing is taking a magnesium capsule at bedtime, usually with a small snack, taking it every second day.  Magnesium citrate.  I'm going to look for other kinds of magnesium and see if I can tolerate a little more.  However I've been soaking in a hot bath with Epsom slats a couple of times a week as well.  At this level and taking the magnesium so late in the day, all seems well.  

I would like to add that I began to feel a lot better in terms of energy very quickly after reducing my calcium/vitamin D supplement and simultaniously trying to make sure I was more likely to absorb the magnesium.  Possibly a coincidence, but it was rather noteworthy!

• Posted

I just bought some Vitamin D3 and Calcium today , do I take that together with the Mag or seperate? I also bought some Vitamin C because I heard it can help with absorbtion. So confusing trying to figure out what doses and what to take when. So far I take Mag, Calcium, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C, Digestive Enzymes ((when needed)), Probiotic and a Multivitamin...
    • Posted

Calcium has to accompany magnesium. Take C everyday. 1,000 mg is good to start. You are on right track.
  • Posted

I was recommended to take 100mg with each meal 3 x a day. That's it. What you are taking sounds a lot and this is probably what is causing your stomach issues. Pull back a little and let your body get used to it slowly. build it up. I had no issues whatsoever with the dosage I am taking and am doing much better with my anxiety now, only 2 weeks into taking it. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi!  I started taking Mag around 2 years ago, and went through the exact same symptoms you described (loose stool and feeling spaced out and lightheaded).

What did the trick for me was taking Calcium along with the Magnesium.  Apparently, there's suposed to be a balance between the two that has to be maintained.  As soon as I started taking calcium with the magnesium, all the "side-effects" went away.

My daily cocktail (taken before bed) now is 400 mg Magnesium Glycinate and 300 mg Calcium Cholecalciferol.  

Different literature describe different ideal ratios of Calcium/Magnesium (some say 1:1, others 2:1 in favor of one or the other).  I guess it's a matter of finding out what works best for you and sticking with it.

Good luck!

• Posted

I am also taking magnesium biglycinate but I think Mg glycinate have least side effects related to digestion and excertion.

I am taking 900mg for anxiety.

Actually it works by boost information Gaba levels in brain

I had no side-effects

Check if you your multivitamin contain magnesium oxide and/or zinc sulphate as it can be cause of your problems .

• Posted

Try taking only 1 pill at a time, splitting up your dose. It’s also supposedly more effective to split your dose ??

• Posted

There are different types of magnesium.  I make my own magnesium chloride liquid and take a teaspoon in small ammount of juice to disguise taste. Also make my own magnesium 'oil' and spray on limbs; apparently magnesium applied transdermally is better absorbed and doesn't cause digestive problems.  I want to add that I find the information of Trudy Scott, nutritionist,  website relevant as she promotes the use of GABA for mood disorders. 

• Posted

I take magnesium glycinate 400 mg between 8 a.m. and 11 a.m. I get this relaxing calm feeling and I get kind of cold a little.

I also took magnesium citrate 200 mg Then it made me diarrhea and loose stool.

I took magnesium threonate 2000 mg, and I had insomnia . I was more focused everything around me object became bright and sharp.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.