Started Taking Magnesium Glycinate for Anxiety/Stress but having bowel issues

Posted , 21 users are following.

I started to take Magnesium Glycinate about a week ago for Stress/Anxiety issues because my Dr. Wanted me on Buspar but I would rather find a natural remedy and found that Magnesium could help. So I bought Magnesium Glycinate and take 200mg in the Morning along with 500mg Of Taurine about an hour after I have taken One a Day multivitamin and Probiotic. 

What I have found Is Im having really loose stools, and I bought the Glycinate because it was supposed to not upset the stomach... But I'm going to the Bathroom Immediatly when I get up from bed and usually again 2-3 more times during the day.. Its not really diarrhea but loose stool, the morning seems to be more normal. But as the day goes on they are really ribbon thin, and then sometimes Diarrhea.. 

I've also just recently switched to a Gluten Free/Dairy Free Diet .. Im just concerened about the stools being so thin.. but wondering if this is the Magnesium causing this or another issue? I have an appit with a GI doctor in about a month, for another issue I have been having with a feeling like something is always stuck in my throat/back, but have no heartburn etc... and after research I believe i may have LPR... so this complicates things more for me.. (( since PPI and antacids etc deplete magnesium))

Also after taking the Magnesium i seem to have a "spaced out" feeling and some lightheadedness... Just wondering if anyone else out there has experienced this and how to fix it? Should I just go to the oil? or Try the Malate? Im not sure./...confused

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Try different doses or go to complete oil. It takes time to get through these causes and effects on the body brain. I had Agaraphobia years ago. I took Valium to get through it. Now I trust my body to tell me what's wrong. We can heal ourselves if we give it focus. Don't be discouraged. Keep trying to see what helps. I find too much yeast causes me a depressed anxiety. Hope you feel better soon. POSITIVE ATTITUDE is key too. The gut is what does the most good/bad so treat it carefully with healthy foods and stay away from bad foods.

• Posted

Hi Marti, what dose and for how long did you take Valium?  I weaning down and right now I'm at 6 mg daily, 3 mg twice daily.  Finding hard to get off because besically it became my sleeping aid.  I can deal without it on day time but at night I can't or I need something that will help me sleep. I have tried melatonin which I can't take more than 2mg or I get sick, I have tried magnesium as well but is more like a muscle relaxer to me and only take it as needed. I can use sleeping aids and they do help me sleep but my phychiatrist is against all of them.  He prefer that I take diazepam than a sleeping aid plus he said he will like for me to be pain free before I wean off completely so my anxiety doesn't go up again. Any suggestion is appreciated. ;-)  Sure, I'm still dealing with the reflux problem which is my main concern right now because my anxiety is well under control.

• Posted

You may have some nutritional deficiencies which are contributing to your feelings of anxiety.  A change in what you eat or some supplementation may help.  Lots of info on internet, but avoid sites that are trying to sell you things.  Also your public library may have reputable books on the subject.
    • Posted

Thanks, but I have done all the test in the book and actually tomorrow I'm doing another food allergic test against the opinion of my Allergist.  I have done Gluten diet and I do not eat dairy and so far nothing good.  Btw, I have never been on PPI's for more than 2 months and that was only once.  I did get approved for Mayo Clinic in Jacksonville so now I'm going to the BIG guys for further study.  Now, I get my bacteria antibiotics tomorrow so lets see if that helps.  I do not believe Dexilant which I started like 10 days ago is going to help and I have tried everything else. I could have  problems with digesting food or absorbing nutrients from food because my stools are floating, but that started recenty way after I had anxiety which is pretty much under control.

• Posted

I was given Valium in the late '60s!! Got to be a habit and one day 5 years later no more scripts. I got on Tramadol on '08 and this spring Dr wouldn't refill so I quiet cold. Was on a powdered vitamin mineral probiotics and other supplements so I think that helped. Get on SAMe. It will help moods. Take a 400 mg morning and night. Keep up the magnesium citrate each day. 200 mg 2 x day. Rhodiola is also excellent replacement for prescription drugs. Buy a detox kit and ween off drug. Drs love to write prescripts. Just do all YOU Can. Go on line and research. Anxiety is a lack of proper nutrition in the body. Keep the gut free of bad bacteria. Omega 3 fish oil is brain food. One per day at bedtime. Vitamin D3 too. Use 1500

mg per day. Stay off caffeine of any kind. Soothing decaf tea. Camomile. At bedtime ok. Exercise a little or go for walks. You should start to feel better in two weeks. No processed food. Oils no. Butter yes. Eat soft cooked eggs. Stay away from bacon and nitrites deli meets. Fresh veggies fruit. Very little sugar. A bad food. Hope you can give it a try. You will get better. You need Zinc too.

• Posted

WOW, that's amazing and I commend you for getting off. I'm down to 5-6 daily from 10 and once at 15.  So I'm going in that direction.  I actually purchaased a book about how to diet for anxiety.  I just need a little help with nights, I don't really need much help on day time -  I guess I got addicted to the sleeping aid more than anything else. ;-(  I have a stress free life, wonderfull family and friends so is all about sleeping and this unresolved reflux problem. ;-)   Thanks for your suggestions, ;-)

• Posted

Ask your doc to consider putting you on Prazosine, which is actually a blood pressure med. it does not have the issues diazepam causes, such as dependency or withdrawals. It works great for insomnia caused by a multitude of reasons. Good luck!!
    • Posted

No, but I no longer have problems sleeping.  I still take 4mg diazepam, 2 twice daily but not for sleep.  I take 200mg magnesium right before bed and that is it.  Sure, I'm still dealing with the chest/rib-cage pain but at least I go to bed with no problem. ;-)  My next move is to lower to 1mg diazepam twice daily and use 200mg magnesium in the morning. Hopefully in 2-3 months I'll be diazepam free but have to take it easy because I still have pain issues all day long.  I do have gluten sensitivity and have the celiac gene which 40% of us have it but don't know it so I'm completely gluten free but my functional medicine wants me to go completely grain free even if it did for 2-3 months which did not help at all.   The funny thing is that I can eat a pizza and will not make me feel sick.  Both of my GI's said that is a generic test (for them is not a valid test to rely on)  and if you have no issue after you eat gluten you should not stop eating it.  I will make my decision in the next few days, to go again grain free or just remain gluten free.

• Posted

I am wondering how you got on with valium withdrawal.  I am taking 5mg bedtime to sleep and have anxiety in day using 2mg. I want to take alternative medications but i am on warfarin and magnesium, omega 3 etc all contra indicated.  I am at a loss how to help myself.
    • Posted

Hi Ann,

I was on 10mg daily, 5mg twice daily.  Then I realize I actually did not need 5mg at day time so I started to take 2.5mg day time and 5mg for sleep.  When time I noticed that I actually did not need this medication so much but I was addicted on using 5 mg for sleep.  So I slowly started to wean down for 6-8 months, when I was at 4mg daily, 2 mg twice daily I replaced the night time 2mg with Magnesium 200mg (50% of daily value)  and it worked.  Magnesium before time replaced the 2mg of Valium.  Now, at 5mg that was not possible, so you have to wean down slowly and once you get to 2mg replace it with the magnesium at night (some nights I would add melatonin 1.5 mg in the middle of the night) and continue taking the 2mg on day time.  Then I went down to 1 mg day time and the last 2 weeks just 0.5mg and I jumped 50 days ago.  You get some withdrawal but not as bad as others. In my personal case I was already on withdraw way before I started to wean down because even if I was taking 10mg daily because my body was asking for more and once you do not increase you get the same withdraw symptoms.   Sure, this is just my opinion. 

• Posted

Sounds really sensible.  I asked about magnesium but because i have warfarin they said i should not take it.  I am really annoyed about that. Will see if anything else possible
    • Posted

I see. ;-(  Maybe you should try with Melatonin. Maybe 2-3 mg's.  I can't handle 3 mg (makes me feel sick) so the max I could take was 2mg mayking 1.5mg the average for me. Thre is many herbs you can take to help with this, which I believe you already know. ;-)  200mg of Magnessium is not to much, I see people taking 400-900mg for sleep.

• Posted

Thanks, i will need to check with dr but he did say no,magnesium on warfarin, didnt ask about melatonin, anyone know if i can use that?
  • Posted

I had stomach and esophagus issues from corticoid steroid, Prednisone, for my autoimmune issue. Yes, had troubles understanding effects of magnesium.  Probiotic pill form help. No doctors told me those effects. 

Also, for my acid stomach, I learned about MSM flakes on this forum. I feel my stomach is healing.  So no to PPI's.

Also, for my anxiety, I've finally learned how to meditate, that can be the best feeling and learning to enjoy life once more.  Please, I wish people would stop looking for a pill to fix them. Learn about what our thinking does to our bodies. 

I found a guided meditation I liked, and took a short meditation class. 

It certainly won't tear up your physical body.  We are capable of changing our thinking away from the stress, I'm working on it, yes, I sometimes "fail" but I'm so happy to get back on that horse so to speak. 

• Posted

Autoimmune and all deseases start in the gut. Get on a good nutrition diet. Eat fresh foods. No oils. Butter or lard. No fried foods bacon deli meets. Rice is ok. No breads. Dairy, soft cooked eggs and protein. Meat fish chicken.

Distilled water best. No movie popcorn.

Take supplements and make sure to get minerals too. Meditation and exercise very good.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.