Starting 150 mg Venlafaxine

Posted , 11 users are following.

I have just had my Venlafaxin increased from 75 mg to 150 mg.  It's only 3 days but all I want to do is sleep and I feel sickly.

I would like to know how long it takes to feel any improvement.  I know everyone is different but I would just like some idea.

0 likes, 35 replies

35 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Although improvement is only masking the true issues, whatever they may be, the Ven takes a good 3 -6 weeks to be fully established into your system.  

I hope you decide to go off instead of increase, as the Ven just masks "quality of life". I was on it for 7 years, weened and now off. I can tell already after being off of it for 7 days that dispite the discontinuation syndrome, I  do not feel like life is masked anymore.  An overall sense of LIFE is an amazing thing! smile

• Posted

Hi I was on Ven 75 mg for ten years with absolutely no side effects.  I used to come off them now and then and never had any problems coming off or going back on.  Could be because it was only 75 mg and that's why I am worried about the 150 mg .I was really disappinted when they stopped working.
    • Posted

If u need to be on the higher ones don't listen to negatives xx
    • Posted

I guess it's because thse drugs affect different people in different ways.  I am definitely going to give the 150 mg a chance.
    • Posted

They do stop working, and they will again, unfortunately sad, I don't know your current situation, and hope you are safe.  I have been posting on another discussion about my journey getting off of them. Of course we are all individual, and since we are as unique as snowflakes we all respond differently. My own body/mind/emotions are far too numb taking meds. I've read more than one or two...or hundreds of accounts that this medication is over-prescribed by physicians. I fall into the category: "if there's a side effect I will get it" lol. So very glad to hear that you have no effects when you have gotten off the meds, for me it was absolute hell, and that was with weening for months. I'm  off now for a full week and 1 day and finally getting rid of the brain zaps, facial numbness, nausea, deep gloom, uncontrollable shaking, sleeplessness, dizziness.... I am happy to be rid of them, although complete recovery from the meds will take up to 6 weeks. The reason for going on them for me was at the time explanable although I now do wish I quit long ago. Discontinuation syndrome is hell to say the least, but once that cloud has passed it feels like life is real again, and I personally am in a place which is much more loving, positive, caring and overall wellbeing. I certainly would never wish the discontinuation syndrome on anyone, however I'm so thankful to be rid of Ven!! Just sharin' wink
    • Posted

Hi Pat 

How you feeling today ? 

Just been reading posts I've now been off meds 4 weeks tomorrow after 20 years having trouble with aches and pains in back but nothing nurofen can't cure I'm so happy to be off them and like hiphi am feeling amazing it's been hell for so long and maybe if this dosage doesn't work maybe try to come of them for longer than you have in the past I have tried to come off before but thought it wS the depression comim back but since finding this forum which had helped so much I realise it was the withdrawal effects even my gp said last week he thinks I need to go back on them because I had a lot of tiredness thank god I didn't listen to him x 

• Posted

This is another vote in favour of giving the increased dose of venlafaxine a try for at least 6 weeks - I'm sure I was told it took this long to have full effect. I've been on 225mg a day (3 x 75mg) for several years and it has really worked for me.  I'm in no hurry to get off it while it's allowing me to lead a normal life. Good Luck!
    • Posted

Sounds great Pixie.  Do you have any side effects on that dose?  Are you feeling back to normal?
    • Posted

yes I'm feeling back to normal, and have been for some time.  The only slight side-effect I've got is a bit embarrassing - an effect on my ability to orgasm, which means I have to time sex for just before a venlafaxine dose is due, so that the previous dose is wearing off! However I don't let this bother me.
    • Posted

I'm  glad you have managed to find a solution to your problem pixie.  I don't have that problem as I am 72!  But it must be awful when your younger as sex is important.  How long did it take for the Ven to taake effect.

Thanks Pat

• Posted

Well as to my problem - I'm 65 and my husband is 68 - and we're still going strong!  But as you say, age does give one a perspective on the matter! The Venlafaxine took about 2 weeks to start working, and then the improvement increased for several weeks after that, which allowed me to do other things to lift my depression like getting out and meeting people, and doing things i enjoy. The recovery process went on for many months in total, but I got there eventually, by a combination of things - not just medication. I hope you get there too.
    • Posted

Hi Pixie delighted to read you are feeling great.  I felt a bit better today so I am hoping this is the start  of recovery.  It has only beem 7 days so I am hoping that I follow your experience,
  • Posted

I am on 150mg for a few years upped from 75mg...they make me feel "normal" but I still get panic attacks if under too much stress. I do not observe any side effects.

• Posted

Im in the united states.i recently got my effexor raised to 150 mg i take it in the morning.im having problems with coughing so hard at night my throat burns.it wakes me up. I dont know if its related and i cannot get to my doctor for 3 months.i just noticed it started shorrky after my medicine was raised. Im also tired all the time not from depression.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.