Starting Escitalopram

Posted , 54 users are following.

I am due to start taking Escitalopram 10mg,but thinking of halving these for the first week,as scared of side effects. Any advice on how good these tablets are for anxiety,also any initial side effects to look out for,would be gratefully received. I was on Citalopram for 19 years,but changed to Sertraline this summer as Citalopram had seemed to stop working. Unfortunately after 5 weeks the Sertraline caused chronic,debilitating diarrhoea,so came off that two weeks ago. I would love to be well for Christmas,but at the moment the thought of it just panics me :-( x

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi again Justine, in reply to you, i take my escitalopram in the morning when i get up with my breakfast or a glass of milk if i dont feel like breakfast. i would agree with Karin in that this is the gentlest anti depressant i have had; it doesn't make you feel spaced out or over medicated like some can. i hope you get on well with the cbt. you may find yourself talking about things with your therapist you didnt even realise contribute to anxiety/depression. be open minded & open, & if they give you thought diaries to complete between appointments, do complete them as situations arise between appointments, they help to re-enforce the strength of thinking differently to avoid anxiety. keep us posted xx
  • Posted

I have been taking Escitalopram 10mg for about 6 months now and am now feeling much better.  Had a few side effects initially but nothing to worry about.  Hope it works for you.
  • Posted

Hi Justine - this is exactly what happened to me!

I was on citalopram for years, working really well but then it just seemed to stop working and my anxiety flared up.

I was swapped onto sertraline snd about 4 weeks in started getting chronic, really debilitating diarrhea, up to 20 times a day, watery and having accidents sad this was ongoing for weeks being told by my gp to persevere until I refused to carry on and saw a different gp.

I tapered off sertraline and then stopped for 48 hours after being on 50mg for a few days and my tummy settled a lot straight away!

After the 2 days, I started escitalopram 5mg and have now been on this for 3 days - today I woke up with that awful run to the loo explosive watery diarrhea again after 4/5 days of it being more settled and am really worrying the same effect is happening and it won't settle - I was wondering how are you getting on with the change now it's been a couple of months?

Thanks in advance for any info or advice!

Sarah

• Posted

Hi Sarah,sorry to hear you went through the same experience. I have been taking Escitalopram for approximately 8 weeks now,and have to say it's great for me,and hope it will be for you too. Hang on in there,hopefully the diarrhea will settle,I haven't had any problems with it on Escitalopram. It is meant to have very few side effects and be really good for anxiety x
    • Posted

That's great news, I'm really happy it's working well for you smile

Could I ask how long did you have between stopping sertraline and starting the escitalopram? I'm wondering if maybe it's still the sertraline in my system or a mixture of the 2 things or general settling in period!

Thanks

Sarah

• Posted

I had a gap of three weeks,my choice,not the gps. It took a good three weeks before my tummy settled after stopping the Sertraline,so I reckon it's still in your system a bit. The only side effects I had starting Escitalopram were slight headache,nausea and lack of appetite x
    • Posted

Hi Sarah

i really hope you are feeling well. Your story matches mine exactly. I've been on sertraline for about 8 weeks. The diarrhoea has been absolutely terrible. The Doc assured me it would settle. It hasn't. 

Could you please tell me how you found the new anti depressant? 

Did you have any withdrawal symptoms from the sertraline or any start up side effects from your new anti d? 

Best wishes J

• Posted

About to start escitalopram for my intrusive memory and thoughts and obsessive thinking with anxiety attacks . Doc prescribed me 5 mg before sleeping . So lets see
    • Posted

Hello. I'd like to know how your first week has gone?

I started last night and am incredibly nauseous today (purposely didn't look online before).

• Posted

How did you get on Vicky? I'm nearly 2 weeks in on Escitalopram 5mg and am in a state of panic most of the time, much worse that before I started it. I'm almost unable to go out. Had massive panic attack last week while driving as well so not driving anywhere. I had expected the symptoms to increase at beginning but it's nearly 2 weeks and still panicking - will I feel better anytime soon?? Did you?

• Posted

Hi Mel,

all I can say is I have heard it can take 6 - 8 weeks for it to start working, I know this doesn't help much but perhaps make a doctors appointment so at least you know you have one to go to if you do not notice an improvement.

Best of luck to you.

• Posted

Hi Mel,

I see you must be about a. Month or so in now and wondered how you went re panic attacks.

I get terrible attacks about an hour or so after taking the tab. I get. Prickly feelings and go red from the chest up and my feet go cold. Nausea and feel terrible. Nearly went to er one night. I'm hoping this settles down because I've beem taken of Mirtazapine and straight onto this one so withdrawals are probably part of the problem.

Anyway, Hope it's working for you as panic attacks are the pits

G

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.