Starting Escitalopram

Posted , 54 users are following.

I am due to start taking Escitalopram 10mg,but thinking of halving these for the first week,as scared of side effects. Any advice on how good these tablets are for anxiety,also any initial side effects to look out for,would be gratefully received. I was on Citalopram for 19 years,but changed to Sertraline this summer as Citalopram had seemed to stop working. Unfortunately after 5 weeks the Sertraline caused chronic,debilitating diarrhoea,so came off that two weeks ago. I would love to be well for Christmas,but at the moment the thought of it just panics me :-( x

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just started lexapro for the 2nd time in my life 3 days ago.The first time, the med worked miracles and did so for almost 10 year . Just 10mg a day. After being prescribed something that interfered with it, it pooped out. Went on zoloft, then prozac, but never as good as the lexapro. The prozac started pooping out and my pdoc wanted me to try lex again since it has been almost 2.5 years since being on it.

As of today, I have been running into the increased anxiety (just tense all over) slight headache, stopped up nose, ect. Haven't had a full blown "get me to the er" panic attack yet... but. I'm at a 2 out of 10 in my anxiety right now.

I know from having these panic things for almost 20 years now, that it will go away. Maybe not with this med, but something will work.

Don't give up and pray. No one knows or completely understands how you feel but God.

• Posted

justine, I am were you were when you wrote this post. Please let me know how it went for you when you started escitalopram 10mg. 

Thank you Sharon 04328

• Posted

Hi Sharon,do you mean you are in an anxious place or swapping medications? I started on 5mg of Escitalopram,as I am very sensitive to medications,and moved up to 10mg after about a week. It is a very good ssri with very few side effects x
  • Posted

I have a prescription filled for escitalopram, but I haven't started it yet. Back in November, my anxiety became unmanageable. I went to the doctor, who put me on bupropion, which increased the anxiety. I switched to a new doctor, who prescribed escitalopram, but I wanted to get the bupropion out of my system before I started anything new, so that I could sort out the side effects and/or withdrawal effects from bupropion from my own anxiety symptoms. I was hoping that I would just feel better after stopping bupropion. And it was an improvement, but the anxiety and obsessive worrying still exist.

Today, I feel more inclined to start the escitalopram. It's tempting to not spend the day worrying, and perhaps to gain a bit of self-confidence. One positive thing about the bupropion was that I began reviewing my life and sorting out aspects of myself that no longer (or perhaps never have) worked for me, and reevaluating some recent choices that now feel regretable. Unfortunately, that life-review involved a great deal of self-loathing and obsessive fear. It was too much, and my negative experience with that drug makes me quite apprehensive about trying another one.

But I would like to be able to live life like a normal person, someone who can keep the house together and find a job that pays enough to do so. I'm wondering if the escitalopram can make me a more functional person. One of my concerns though, is whether the drug reduces creativity. I enjoy writing as a hobby, and I'd hate to lose that. On the other hand, people seem to usually have good experiences with it, and I want to be happy and a better father and husband.

• Posted

That medicine actually changed my life and maybe be able to live again all you need to do is try it that worried about it I would say take it at night that way you'll be asleep when it's kicking in and you won't have anything to worry about

• Posted

Hi Jasper,I understand your fear of starting a new medication,especially when you are already anxious. I personally started on 5mg,before moving on to 10mg,and to reassure you Escitalopram certainly hasn't reduced my creativity. It is one the best ssris for anxiety. Sending lots of hope to you Jasper

• Posted

What side effects did you have ? Did you have hot flashes ? I'm trying to keep my head up while taking this ..

• Posted

Thank you, Justine! I'm holding off as long as I can. It's actually helpful for me to use it as a threat against my anxious brain. I tell my brain, if it keeps harrassing me with anxious thoughts, I'm going to give it the pill, and that seems to shut it up for now.

• Posted

That's what I need to figure out. Should I take it at bedtime or in the morning? 

• Posted

Hey Justine , glad I found your post is hot flashes a symptom that you has ? I'm on my second day and I'm having hot flashes in my head mainly but also in my body I really need the help so I want to continue the meds but I'm scared and don't know if it's a green light at the end of my tunnel please help .

• Posted

Hi Patricia,no I didn't have hot flashes,but think side effects can affect people differently. What mg of Escitalopram are you on?

• Posted

I'm on 10 mg and today is my 3rd day . I didn't cut it in half like everybody was saying I just took it wasn't thinking about side effects or anything

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.