Starting Escitalopram

Posted , 54 users are following.

I am due to start taking Escitalopram 10mg,but thinking of halving these for the first week,as scared of side effects. Any advice on how good these tablets are for anxiety,also any initial side effects to look out for,would be gratefully received. I was on Citalopram for 19 years,but changed to Sertraline this summer as Citalopram had seemed to stop working. Unfortunately after 5 weeks the Sertraline caused chronic,debilitating diarrhoea,so came off that two weeks ago. I would love to be well for Christmas,but at the moment the thought of it just panics me :-( x

1 like, 115 replies

115 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I just took my first dose 10mg of escitalopram last night...I couldn't sleep but that was due to my anxiety about it,and issues with our heating system..anyway..I've suffered anxiety now and then but about 2 months ago, my anxiety went through the roof! Brought on a horrible case of hypochondria..thought I was dying of several illnesses...just awful.. So I spoke to several close friends and my doctor and they all agreed I should try it..hoping this helps..I can't live like this anymore..I can hardly accomplish tasks due to the fatigue and nausea my anxiety has caused..I also mentioned that I'm 45 almost 46, so did Dr think it was related to changing hormones..he said not but I can't believe this started to get so bad, so suddenly. I don't know much about the whole process of starting a new drug...side effects, feeling better etc so I'm just looking for advice and support. Thanks all. Take care. I see you are also early on this journey Justine and I just wanted to get and give support.

• Posted

Hello Amy,I'm sorry to hear you have been going through such bad anxiety,it's awful. I am 44,and have suffered anxiety since a child. Unfortunately this episode has been far the worst. I too wondered about my hormones,but the gp didn't think it was.

How are you feeling day 3 of being on Escitalopram? It is apparently a very good ssri for anxiety with fewer side effects. Love and best wishes,Justine x

• Posted

Well, I felt a tiny bit better (a bit less anxious) after 3 days on it, still a bit nauseaous, not eating a lot but hanging in there. I am trying not to read too much online about side effects related to it..not totally successful, haha..but doing ok. I'm hoping at one week it will be a noticeable difference and at 2 weeks begin to feel a lot better. My dr said that this had the best chance of helping with little negative effects so here I am! I have seen a lot online about people our age having these anxiety issues from hormones but...like yours said, it's not likely. Thank you for your comments and well wishes and I also wish you all the best. Feel free to write anytime. 😊

• Posted

I'm so pleased you feel a bit better after only 3 days,that's a good sign. I am also wondering in my case about the mini pill I take (Cerazette),if that could be exacerbating the anxiety. Am seeing my GP on Monday,so will ask her. Stay strong Amy,you have made the first step X

• Posted

Oh yes, it would be good to know if the other pill is causing any issues. Good luck at the dr and keep me posted. All the best to you xo
    • Posted

Well at day 6, I felt so horribly nauseous, could hardly get off the couch, no appetite, felt very weird...but now at 10 pm (just in time for my 10mg dose) I'm feeling ok...so I will continue, as tomorrow night will be my one week on it and hoping by 2 weeks to be completely adjusted as far as no negative side effects...how are you doing? Have you continued it? Hope all is well. 😊

• Posted

Hi everyone, I'm completely new to these forums and this is the first post I've ever made, but I've been reading them a lot recently for reassurance and support, since I've just gone back into escitalopram for the third time in the last eight years. The last couple of times I was on it, it was brilliant. I felt like a normal person - no more obsessive irrational thoughts - I just felt so well and grounded - back to my old self. I was 46 when I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression and it came as a shock to me, since I'd never suffered with any mental health issues up to that point, although I now think that I'd always lived with a low level of anxiety, but not realised it. I do think when you hit perimenopause at around that age, the drop of the calming hormone progesterone must trigger and worsen any tendency towards anxiety and depression, although doctors will never agree - (in the same way that they will never agree that teething babies suffer any symptoms other than red cheeks.). But back to the escitalopram - I'm sensitive to medication, so last time my max dose was 7.5mg. On 10mg I felt just a bit too laid back and devoid of any emotion at all. The second time I built up to it slowly, because the first time I'd suffered horrendous side effects, with my anxiety completely incapacitating me. Luckily I wasn't working, so I rode through it, clinging to the duvet. I started slowly again this time - with 2.5mg for the first week, 5mg for the second and then two weeks on 7.5mg - so far so good - but then the side effects suddenly hit, with increased anxiety, tearfulness, not sleeping, no appetite, sweating, tense muscles, clenched jaw, so much so that I had to give in and stop going in to work last week. I've gone back down to 5mg now, until I feel better, but today I've been so up and down - like a switch going and off. One minute I'm fine - the anxiety leaves me and I'm skipping around the house, then suddenly whoosh - a wave of adrenaline surges through me, a burning sensation in my arms and legs, knot in my stomach, hot flushes then cold and clammy with an overwhelming sense of dread. I'm hoping that this is a sign that the medication is starting to kick in, but it's taken a bit longer to reach this point this time. Do you think it's because it's the third time I've taken them? Does anyone else have a similar experience with coming off and going back onto SSRIs?

• Posted

Hi Susan,

I am into the 6 -7 week mark of thaking this drug. Unfortunately, I was taken of Mirtazapine 30mg and straight onto 20mg of escitalopram. I ended up taking 10mg and not the 20mg because I was hoping that that would be enough and I had room to move if I needed more. I had horrendous side effects, a lot of what you describe as well as this terrible prickling across my chest and burning in my stomach and mouth.My head feels like someone is jolting it sideways and I can't think straight at all.  My stomach is sensitive also, and I have had an ulser before so another reason to keep the dose down. I didn't know if it was the sudden withdrawal of Mirt or the new drug kicking in. I am finding that I still have panic attacks but they are different. Not that overwhelming sense of dread any more but the other symptoms are still there. I have tried to up my dose of escitalopram by taking a very small amount off a tablet extra but in 3 days, I have terrible nausea and  worse head jolts. This makes me think its the escitalopram side effects and not the Mirt withdrawals but the phycologist I saw yesterday, thinks its the Mirt withdrawals. I was so optermistic about this drug too as most seem to find it good and I was told it had less side effects than the others.  My doc's only answer was to change to another one...Eeek! I couldn't go through that again just yet so i'm trying to ride out this in the hope it settles eventually.                You would think that you would have less side effects than if you had been on them before? It's such a crazy situation and my Doc didn't warn me at all about any of this. I found it all on here. I hope your side effects settle quickly. Thank you for posting your symptoms as it helps me to know what is happening to me too.

• Posted

I also have the clenched jaw! Does that go away? How about the sleepiness? I wanted to go on meds so I am not so tired. Hope the side effects taper after the first week think I'm on day 5 10 mg

• Posted

HI Susan - your post has given me comfort! We have so many of the similar side effects - clenched jaw, intense thoughts, lack of sleep, one minute feel OK the next not. Curious how you're feeling now? I'm on Day 4 of 10mg Lexapro and am definitely wanting relief soon, but I do know it takes time.

• Posted

This thread is 3 years ago and I am just hoping to get a respone still. So I have started with Escitalopram Jovia. My doctor advised me to take half of the 10mg pill for the first 2 days and switch to one entire pill on the 3rd day which I did. After 2 hours of taking it, I felt nauseated and and light headed. I went to bed and woke up a two or three times feeling awful. I called my doctor and she told me to start with half again for the next 8 days, which I will do tonight.

• Posted

Hi Kate and everyone-

I wanted to say thank you so much for this string. It was so helpful as I just started Escitalopram (5 Mg to start) 4 days ago. I had very similar side effects. Hot flashes (like burning!) and more panic rather than less. Terrible nausea and drowsiness. A little dizzy too. Woke up several times in the night, had to read - or pretend to read- for an hour or so before falling back to sleep.

I didnt realize that was all going to happen and I was about to give up on this medicine but I found this thread and a few others that made me realize I wasn't crazy.

But today I woke up feeling much better! I'm so happy to be past the anxiety. I'm still a little drowsy and not hungry but I'll take that over the panic and hot flashes any day!

I am supposed to increase to 10mg in 2 weeks and I'm not sure if it will start all over again (hope not) but I just wanted to give you hope- the side effects do seem to be fading. I'll post back if they don't.

• Posted

Hey there - wondering how you're feeling? I'm on Day 4 of lexapro for severe anxiety and man I have had some side effects - clinched jaw, insomnia, increased anxiety, dry mouth, etc. it's hard not to want results right away!

• Posted

Hi Courtney,

I'm doing much better. I'm still on 5 mg working up the courage to go to 10. I still have some tenseness in my jaw that I didn't even notice until the other side effects subsided. I don't know if this will help you but I started walking and running and I don't know, does that pump it through my system differently because it was like the next day after a 3 mile slowwww jog that I started feeling better. Maybe it was just that I was feeling empowered by doing something other than lay around in the wooziness and dizziness.

My panic attacks are almost completely gone at this point. I can't say all my anxiety is relieved yet. I am a bit more smooth around the edges, able to think before I speak.

My sleep has improved too. I still wake up a couple times at night but I don't have racing thoughts. I'm able to just breathe and somehow fall back asleep or at least not get worked up about it.

I really hope you are doing better in the next couple days!

• Posted

Oh! I meant to say I take my pill at night right before - and I mean right before- I close my eyes to go to sleep.

The burning hot flashes are gone and my appetite is back to normal. I am thirsty a lot. Maybe that's like the dry mouth thing?

Please keep posting and don't read too much stuff on the internet! Maybe watch some funny animal videos or something. That's what I do to distract myself if reading doesn't work.

• Posted

Hi Holly how are you doing on the ecatalapram.iv started them today dr gave me 5mg but Iv cut it in half iv had a really bad upset stomach. Have your side affects lessened
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

I'm doing so much better. I am able to eat without any nausea and everything except tenseness in my jaw is pretty much gone. I haven't increased to 10 mg yet. Still on 5mg per day for 2 weeks now. I am a thousand times better than before but yes there was a few pretty significant side effects to get over first and I almost gave up. I'm glad I didn't! Keep yourself busy if you can. Or try to get lost in a light hearted book or tv show. Nothing heavy. Maybe just give in to the fact that you might be in your pjs for a couple days. I was so groggy. Even now I need like 9 hours of sleep a night but I am not as anxious as I was before starting this medicine. Like I said in another post if you can get out of bed and take a walk or jog (be safe) do it. Somehow it made me feel better. It's all so worth it to see it through and let the medicine kick in!!

• Posted

Well I just upped from 5 mg to 10 mg about 5 days ago and surprisingly all is well. I thought I might get another wave of side effects but nope.

Someone asked if creativity goes down and for me, no. With my head more clear and focused I can think and imagine well. I'm no artist but I have to do a lot of problem solving and thinking outside the box for work.

I do want to say that the right jaw hasn't gone away. I have to purposely focus on it and relax it at night before sleep especially.

And I have lots and lots of crazy dreams. Not scary ones per say but very weird.

I have not had a panic attack at all in a couple weeks. Yay!!! On to enjoy life. Wishing all of you well.

• Posted

Me too Courtney.. I think I had everything listed on the packet..lol
    • Posted

Hi Holly! I am supposed to start Lexapro and have been putting it off due to the things I’ve read about side effects. I know you posted several months ago, so I am curious how you are getting on now. 
    • Posted

Hi Donna,

I am leveled off and feeling much much better. For me the first 3-5 days starting out were the absolute worst. Going up from 5 to 10mg was not as bad as starting off. I felt a little dizzy and had some nausea but no hot flashy panic attacks or anything. Then I went up from 10 to 20mg and felt no side effects at all.

I have not had a panic attack in at least 3 months. My jaw tightness still comes and goes but I can consciously relax the muscles.

My life isn’t perfect so I still have ups and downs but now they’re normal and reactive to something real- I’m not worrying about everything on earth that I can’t control. Does that make sense? 

I’m so grateful I stuck it out. Don’t get me wrong, I wanted to quit and I am sure there are folks whose side effects are even worse than mine. I would have planned for not working the first few days if I had known. 

I still wonder if getting outside to walk and jog helped to get the blood flowing too. 

I hope I can be of more help. Let us know if you have questions! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.