Starting Fluoxetine tonight for the 1st time...

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi. I've just been to me GP today and he has prescribed me 20mg per day of Fluoxetine. I've just read all the postings previous to this one and have mixed and very nervous thoughts about starting them. He wants to see me next week and see how I'm getting on and in the meanwhile, he's referring me for counselling sessions.

I'm 30 and a mum of 1. I have a wonderful supportive partner who tells me how 'gorgeous' I am daily and how much he loves me. I have a loving family too and some great friends. My trouble is my temper. I'm not violent, I'm just verbally aggressive and cannot show a soft side to my partner.

I'm not like this all the time though which is odd. I react better to friends and strangers, I can be all chirpy and have a laugh and be full of fun to those folk. It's the way I am with the folk who love me most, those I can relax infront of. I'm okay one moment then for no reason, I can go into a foul mood and feel that everyone is against me. I don't know how many times I've 'told' my partner to leave and when he gets upset, I just blank him out and ignore him. he is wonderful and I can't bring myself to just hold him, hug him or kiss him.

I cannot be affectionate with anyone except my son, he gets kisses and cuddles from me yet I do snap at him more often than I should.

I cannot stop thoughts like 'If I drive into a wall really fast' or 'if I fall asleep in the bath', but the only thing that snaps me out of these stupid thoughts, is my son - he needs his mummy and I need him. It's sad to say but not even my mum or partner or sister are a reason for me to go on.

I have a great job, not bad paid, a lot of respect too and no-one, not even my friends have a clue how I feel. I guess I mask it very well. I'm just scared that these pills may make me worse, I feel sick thinking about them.

If you knew me, you'd think I was 'normal', ie, friendly, outgoing, happy, which is one side of me. It's this horrible side where I'm moody, depressed and snappy that is pushing loved ones away and making me loathe myself.

Oh well, sounds like I'm feeling sorry for myself, probably being melodramatic. Glad I got this off my chest though, just worried about starting these things. I just want to be happy, friendly, outgoing, a good mum/partner/sister/daughter. :? I hope these pills work :?: Like the song said, 'I'm sick and tired of always being sick and tired'.

Thanks for taking the time to read about me. I need to put my 'happy face' on and get back on with my work. I've become very good at hiding things. :lol: [/quote]

0 likes, 74 replies

74 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well, took first 20mg Fluo yesterday afternoon. I woke up 4 times last night and it took much longer than usual to get to sleep as I had slight paranoia - when I went to bed I thought someone was there! My mind playing tricks me thinks, as my partner is on lates this week so doesn't come in till early hours of the morning! A few weird dreams and a bit of pins & needles too. I feel a bit sick this morning but I felt like that yesterday morning before the pills. Think that is just a general unwell, nothing to do with pills.

The waking up could have just been my imagination playing overtime as I tend to do that when I've read something and after all the reading on this site about Fluoxetine yesterday, I was basically 'pooing my pants' about taking these pills, if you excuse the expression! Pins & needles could've been where I lay funny.

So, not putting anything down to these pills at the mo, was only day 1 and let's see how tonight goes.

Feeling okay today, only thought about driving into the road sign once this morning on my short 4 minute drive to work and dismissed the silly idea immediately, going to be a good day I think/hope :-)

• Posted

HI ,IVE BEEN ON FLUOXETINE FOR A WEEK AND I TAKE ZOPICLONE SLEEPING TABLETS WHICH GET ME TO SLEEP FOR EIGHT HOURS WITHOUT ANY DISTURBANCES MIXING THESE PILLS HAS NOT CAUSED ANY SIDE EFFECTS I TAKE FLUOXETINE IN THE DAY ,MAYBE YOU SHOULD ASK THE DOC FOR A COURSE OF THESE SEE IF THEY HELP WITH YOUR SLEEP DISTURBANCE
  • Posted

Hi, can I ask you how long you have been taking the zopiclone for? ive had some from my dr but iv e read somewhere that they can be addictive.

thanks

• Posted

Hi and I'll ask about those. I'm back at the Dr's next Monday. I was up twice last night and three times for Monday & Tuesday night. This is day 4 and I'm not as bad as I thought I would be, a bit 'spaced out' and I feel a bit emotional but that seems to be all. I have a serious head cold right now which isn't helping matters when I'm bunged up too! I asked the pharmacist if I could take anything and she said not really as the decongestant medicine would make me feel doubly woozy mixed with the Fluoxetine so I'm relying on good old Kleenex at the mo!

thanks again for the info on the sleeping tabs, I'll make enquiries. :-)

• Posted

As i have been taking fluoxetine for 2 weeks nearly they seem to be making me naturally tired as the days go on, ive been on zopiclone probably 3 weeks ish and i was falling asleep watchin the telly last night without taking any sleeper so i think once the fluoxetine gets into your system natural tiredness returns ,im yet to try and sleep witout the zopiclone ,i think i'll need to let myself fall asleep watchin telly to start with,hope this helps
  • Posted

Hi! I've noticed that the tiredness is also progressive and within about half hour of taking it, I'm ready for noddy land. I've been taking it now just before bed and apart from the compulsary loo visit in the middle of the night, I seem to be sleeping a lot better. The only thing I can feel off them, and this is the start of my second week, is a sickness feeling every morning, likened to morning sickness but this subsides by mid morning.

I seem to be calmer too but I think that's physcological as I'm trying to get into the frame of mind that I don't need these tablets so I don't know if it is me not being so short tempered and snappy or the pills...

Doc said this morning that the physcologist may take at least 4-6 weeks to get in touch for an appointment, this is what I need most is just to talk to someone, not pills :-(

• Posted

hi, im also waiting for a phsycologist appointment , as i also believe their is no need for these pills, ithink they are designed to weaken you ,so when you speak to the psycologist you just spit it all out ,without the reservations that you may previously have had, that my theory anyway,

8)

• Posted

No the pills are just to try and stop u feeling so down. U dint have to see a psychologist if u dont want to.

Just want to be better - just really feel it inside, I do, even tho I feel like I dont want to go on, I want to be happy more and that comes from insdie xxxxxxxxxx

• Posted

I got my letter yesterday so need to phone the Physcologist up and make an appointment. This is what I really do need, just to talk and find out what is the core thing making me feel this way. I'm not looking for miracles, just need to know I'm not 'mental' or just 'depressing'. I need to know why I'm angry and also moody, snappy, down, silly thoughts about suicide etc etc.

Almost into 3rd week of pills, they're killing my appetite, making me nauseus in the morning still and I feel I could sleep for Britain :lol:

• Posted

On day 17 now and feeling not too bad. I've lost 4lb this week alone due to not eating well. This cuold be combined with the fact I had a bug 2 weeks ago with the runny eyes and nose and loosing my voice though, so not too sure it's the tablets.

Generally feeling more sedate, if that's the correct term. I'm not as snappy as I used to be as most the time I'm in a daze and tired! I must enter the Guiness Book of Records for the amount of times I yawn through the day!

I take my pill still before bed time and I struggle to stay away after 9.30pm now but feel fresher the next day. The nauseas feeling has subsided more now so looks like they're working.

Have my appointment to chat to someone next week so looking forward to that, even though I don't feel half as bad as I did 3 weeks ago.

Anyway, just thought I'd update on day 17 so you could see the effect the little pill is having.

• Posted

Hi ,

Been on fluoxetine for about 6 weeks now. I take it in the morning (20mg). I still feel nauseous occasionally, especially after a coffee. In the first two weeks I lost about 6 lbs due to loss of appetite, and I felt terribly anxious at times, but those feelings have almost completely subsided and I now feel much better than I did before I started the medication. Doctor said I should stay on it long-term but I don't know about that.

Good luck everyone.

• Posted

Hi Sqeaky

How long did it take til u felt better? I started them about 11 days ago. I feel so bad, but wonder if i tried too long to do this alone, and that im on a downward spiral, i am so alone. That's the thing - I am so alone

• Posted

SuziSue - It's Ang here, did you get to speak to your son?

You may feel alone where you are but you're amongst friends and people who understand how you feel on this site.

You can do it girl! Day 12 for you now and you're almost half way through your first month. Just hang on in there knowing it WILL get better.

Are you still seeing you're mum? I bet she looks forward to your visits.

Keep posting SuziSue, you sound so down but everyone who posts on this site wants to help.

Ang :-)

• Posted

Hi SuzieSue,

It wasn't until about the 4th week that I stared to feel better. For the first two or three weeks I felt bad, worse than before I went on the medication. It takes time to get into your system.

Hang on in there.

• Posted

Hi Squeaky,

I totally agree. I'm approaching the end of my third week and feeling better every day. The first few weeks were horrid but now I'm feeling happier.

SuziSue - Hope this gives you some piece of mind, you'll come through this :-)

Ang

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.