Starting on Citalopram, chatting and progress

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all,

i'm just starting out on citalopram, i'm male aged 47 and have been on and off lots of different antidepressants for about 15 years.

i just thought i would record here how its going and if anyone wants to chat about anything (for example how you are doing, or would like to share advice, please join in).

i started out on 10mg of citalopram, about 2 weeks ago, but for the last 3 days or so, i have moved up to 20mg. i didn't really have any side effects when starting the 10mg, but its certainly a different case now i am taking 20mg. there's a very noticeable increase in anxiety, which tends to be worse in the morning/early afternoon. i am also feeling very nauseous and am lacking appetite. i am currently splitting the 20mg dose, taking 10mg at midday, and another 10mg before bed around midnight.

i'm currently not sleeping well and feeling tired throughout the day.

i have lots of 'automatic negative thinking' going on but am trying to just do things through the day, and i have a part-time job i go to in the evenings, which i will continue to try to go to even if not feeling very well.

i guess that's about it for now then, i will continue to post updates. it can be a difficult road when starting antidepressants as you dont know how long they will take to work, assuming you are on the right one which suits you, and to find the right dose also.

sending good luck your way to anyone who is reading this and is also trying to get well.

0 likes, 37 replies

37 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi there

Thanks for your post!

I've been on various anti-depressants over the years but now on Citalopram for around 3 months but not noticed much difference yet. My GP has now prescribed an additional tablet called Mirtazapine 15mg to be taken at night. Supposed to help with sleep. Have you heard of this before? I'm a bit worried about taking more meds. At the same time I just need sleep!!

When I find a good fix, I plan to stay on them for life too!

Julie

• Posted

hi Julie sometimes people do better on a combination of tablets rather than just one, doctors sometimes do this for example when someone has tried various different types of meds individually (and giving enough time for each med to work), but the patient hasnt had adequate response

is your main issue at the moment problems sleeping at night? how is your depression and anxiety?

• Posted

Thanks Sun47. Upwards absolutely.

Agree with the alcohol, am definately getting value for money. My problem is that I'm enjoying being around people again so much that I don't know my limits. I have to watch it. Not replacing one problem with another,

What you say about assertiveness/aggression is so true. For me it's a fine line, but sometimes when I see myself talking to people, in social situations, in work - I can't believe it's me. It's like I'm watching myself from afar. I've been trying to change my living situation for years, but I procrastinate so much it's ridiculous. I have a litany of excuses why I can't change things. I haven't made any changes in years. Amazingly, this week, I managed to sort out my living situation in days. Just by getting out there, being assertive, making decisions. I rang about a flat and took a lease within days. People in my life can't believe how the same person can take control of things, just grabbing life by the scruff of the neck.

It's all I wanted from medication, to be in charge of things again. It's what I need it do. It's working.

• Posted

hello everyone

i can use some help, 3 months ago i was put on citalopram, first 10mg, then after a week 20mg and for the last week 25mg with the plan to go up to 30mg, I don't see any improvement and if any it's very minimal.

I'm worried that in my case this medication might not be a proper fit and I'm terrified of trying anything new. I'm dealing with lots of pains and symptoms and I have low motivation, I'm trying so many alternative treatments and self help methods, I'm loosing hope

• Posted

hi agata sorry to hear about your current situation. if you would like my advice, my advice is certainly to not worry or be afraid to try something else if citalopram doesnt work for you. personally speaking i have switched meds countless times, and i do this when either the med i am taking feels to me like it isnt working (and i have gone high up enough in dose already and dont wish to toy around with the higher end of the dosing scale), or if the med is not working well enough, or if a med stopped working after working well for some time (and i feel i have already increased the med enough), or if the side effects from a med are too much trouble (for example i have been on some meds where they made me feel sleepy/could sleep ALL day long, so i decided that was not an acceptable trade-off for depression/anxiety and simply switched to something else).

what i do personally is, i give each med i try about 12 weeks (during this startup time i will increase or decrease the dose if necessary). during this 12 weeks i do expect some kind of progress as time move forwards. so for example, if i rated my depression/anxiety at say a rating of 10 at the start of taking the new med (10 being bad and 1 meaning 'i'm fully cured!'), then by say 4-6 weeks time (after the initial adjustment period of taking a new med, where u can feel worse...), i do expect that rating to drop, even if it is only down to a 9 or 8. if i get this reduction then i keep on going and see if this number perhaps can drop down further as more weeks (and months) go by.

however ... if i took a new med and then, (after the adjustment phase of 'feeling worse'), then by say 4-6 weeks if i have not moved at all from a 10 (or perhaps feel even worse than i did in the beginning eg. now im a rating of 11 or 12), i actually switch meds at that point. a lot of people wouldnt agree with the way i do it, and u will hear some people say "you have to often wait several months to feel better". i actually dont agree with that at all. and for some of those people who say, for example: "i beared the pain for 9 months and then suddenly one day i woke up and my depression and anxiety was all gone!", one thing they dont seem to realise is, actually if a person didnt treat their depression and anxiety at all with any meds, it will often just clear up by itself anyway after several months or a year.. so for those people who thought their meds worked but it took 9 months to kick in, - actually more likely their depression/anxiety episode just ended naturally at that point, regardless of the med that they thought was just taking several months to do anything at all.

so anyway thats why in the included leaflets for these types of meds, they state that you should start to feel better in say 2-8 weeks (although of course they warn that you may feel worse for a while during startup, as your body initially adjusts to the new medication). of course then long term they do recommend that the med is taken for eg. 1 whole year (or for life if you are someone who has had repeated episodes), but you certainly are not expected to wait one whole year to feel any change in your condition. you should start to feel better in say 2-8 weeks, and then ongoing, you should expect improvements as time move forwards . you do need to expect bad days, blips, some steps backwards during your recovery. the important thing there is to not switch meds as soon as u have one bad day along your journey and feel like you are back to the beginning. instead what u should do is give it more time, eg. some more days or a week... and see if it was just a blip after all.

so anyway after all this rambling, i guess your options are, to either increase the dose you are on, or give it more time on your current dose and see if things get better, or add something to take alongside the citalopram to see if that helps, or to switch to another med. i did notice u mentioned (after 3 months of taking citalopram): "I don't see any improvement and if any it's very minimal." which certainly rings alarm bells. personally i would be speaking to my doctor again at this point, but thats only my opinion and what i would do. im not trying to tell you exactly what u should do, as i would just be guessing. every case is different, and lets be honest even the doctors often just take a guess as what to do next, and hope for the best. dont lose hope though as you will certainly find what works best for you, its just a matter of time, so keep going and you will get there. you came here because u want to be heading in the right direction, not the wrong one. its certainly only matter of time. if u need to, try a different med, or if u want, u could give citalopram more time, on a higher dose. speak with your doctor about it, see what you both agree on and take it from there

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.