Starting steriods

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am new to PMR, only three months. I saw my rheumy two weeks ago. She started me on 20 mg and said to go up 5 mg until all the pain is gone. I am at 30 mg and still have some pain. I hate the idea of going up higher. I fear I have to and am putting it off. She said I might be one of the rare cases of needing a high start dose. I am only diagnosed with PMR. Did anyone else start at a high dose like this? Will I ever get to a small dose? I also have DM and now I am taking short and long acting insulin. Can I get some insight on this please.

0 likes, 20 replies

20 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Jill, you lucky to have found the forum so quickly, I am tapering off 30 mg, currently on 6 tapering to 5.5, I am also a diabetic on oral meds. About 2 1/2 years on my PMR journey. After bad flare needed about 6 weeks on 30 mg to be PMR pain free. The wisdom, knowledge and encouragement I received on the forum has made my journey much easier. There is a lot to learn about the PMR journey and here is the best place to start, I was a year into my journey before I found the forum. Taper slowly, try not to taper off you are having PMR pain. Think positive, stay active, don't over do it and smile, it helps. 🙂

• Posted

Thank you. I do like this site. It eases my mind sometimes. After reading some stories I’m not as worried about this is that I was
  • Posted

I started on 50mg and now on 10mg, I had flare ups every time I decreased the prednisone but I continued because I just could not tolerate all the side effects.

My rheumatologist has now diagnosed me with rheumatoid arthritis, the PMR was just an introduction to the RA.....

• Posted

Glad to hear that others started on high dose. I have been told and believe that I have a very high pain tolerance but this is making me think we were all wrong. The rheumy said she is hoping that the methotrexate will help me decrease faster than normal. Hope she is right.
    • Posted

I started on 20mgs and I have been told I have a high pain tolerance. What we all need to remember is that we are all different and our bodies respond differently to the pred so try not to compare with others. Be reassured that we also have similarities in the way the pain affects us but our energy and tolerance levels may be different. Like many others I thought I could all that I had done before but quickly learnt that PMR is King and I needed to rest in between doing tasks. I've forgotten a lot of what was painful and tiring but I was peeling vegetables for soup today.....no problem. Early on I couldn't stand at the sink but had to use a chair. I could barely stand for the pain and often hopped about from foot to foot. Almost three and a half years down the line and there's not a lot I can't do now but it does require lots of patience and acceptance to get through it. Pacing is so important and learning to appreciate that we cannot manage what we did before PMR. It does get better but there were times when I thought I was getting nowhere fast. Family and friends have to learn not to expect so much and we have to accept help....graciously. Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.