Starting sulfasalazine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi was at hospital today and been put on the drug sulfasalazine dont start them until wednesday i was diagnised with RA last september in my hands and wrists i now have it in ankles and knees...i started on 15mg of MTX now on 20mg was also on hydroxy but they never agreed with me i have to start on low dosage of sulfasalazine to build myself up to take 6 tablets a day of these just like to ask anyone on these drugs or has been have they helped was told ur pee can be orange and yellow tears something in the drug causes this...glad to hear from anyone

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Bob

I was on Sulphazalsine for 2 weeks and they began to work.  Was starting to feel really good.  Unfortunately, I developed a rash all over my body , a headache like i'd never had before, fever and couldn't even get out of bed.  Ended up in hospital.  But that was me.  Hopefully they will work for you and you won't get a reaction, but be aware of any changes that you feel and don't just pass them off as something else - seek advice immediately if you feel something is up.  Good Luck, hope they work for you.

• Posted

Hi,

ive been on sulfasalazine for 4 months now, and yes your pee does turn colour to bright yellows orange.  The other symptoms I have are a heavy feeling through my stomach and have an upset stomach most days. I take 2 in the morning and 2 in the evening. I also take 25 mg methotrexate and folic acid twice a week. I take the odd pain killer. You have to have a low dosage to begin with to let your body get used to it, if you don't then the nausea is not nice at all. It really helps with the RA pain but really upsets my insides but it does work differently for everyone. Good luck 

• Posted

hi bob ive been on sulfallsalzine for a long time had no problem with it so far only sends your pee yellow but its helping me yes I take 6 tablets but im intolerence to.lacctos that coats tablets so ive foung 3 tablets in a morning and 3 at night I find it better did have a problem when first took it but that was due lactose problem hope it helps you
  • Posted

Hi Bob, Ihave been taking 2000 mg a day of sulphasalazine for about 2 months. I also take 20 mg methotrexate a week and 11 mg prednisone but am slowly reducing this.  Since taking the sulphasalazine and 15 mg prednisone, my pain in hands, wrists and feet has reduced. As I reduce the pred it will be interesting to see if the situation remains the same. I get a little nausea and loss of appetite with the sulphasalazine.
  • Posted

Been on 2 gram a day for years and no problems so far.
  • Posted

Thanks anna emma chrissie murry and light for ur input will give them a go see how i fair with them but was told if a rash does appear i have to stop them at once thanks again guys..
  • Posted

hello bob

i am also on these pills  i have been for 7 weeks now  i did have a rash got it checked out by doctor and the problem is i have been going to the skin clinic for 23 years my skin is sun damaged i have felt sick and dizzy on week 2  but that  has stopped now  yes your pee will change and tears go onto google and look it up  but i still get  some pain good luck carol

• Posted

Thanks carol if they dont agree with me am stoppin them at once would rather give hydroxy another go again as i was on they ones first but got headaches on them but i should have gave them more time to work..dont really like wot am reading about sulfasalazine so far and i know certain pills effect every person different but i know the luck i have they will effect me lol cheers carol
  • Posted

Bob  i have not had anything else yet but on 5th jan i got a steriod injection that gave me a bad headache atthe moment my wrists knees andankles are painful it maybe cold damp weather so sulfasalazine  is not helping me there but i have had some good days at the moment i am on antibiotics  for a sinus  infection i have never hhad one before carol
    • Posted

Hi carol i got a steriod injection yesterday at hospital and since i got it all i have had is pain down back of left leg its my hands wrists and ankles much like urself that are sore..these medications we get to try there bloody more side effects and can be worse at time than having RA i will try these pills first sign of rash or blinding headaches there stopped would rather give hydroxy another go if thats the case..
    • Posted

well just try you cant do anymore  RA is one of the worst things we can get and there is no cure 
    • Posted

Hi carol no vure but drug they give you sirpose slow it when first had sulfalsalzine no appretite fine know I had sendtive skin coulddnt where make moisturizer but since taking sulfalsalinze my skin is normal no sensitivity at all everyone different wish was a cure
    • Posted

bob do you have back trouble sciatica cos that goes down the back of your leg and ive found out today I have RA in my spine I new I had osteo at bottom of spine now I got that what will be next have you ask rheumatologist ir gp see if you siactica or disc problem can ciurse pain down back of the leg does it go down to ankle
    • Posted

Hi chrissie yes i have chronic back pain in my back since my 20s have had discs removed funny enough i was seeing someone at hospital yesterday i have a fracture in middle of back and asked if i could be RA also was told no cos no imflamation showed up on mri scan i got done...but gettin injection yesterday chrissie has brought my pain on just seems one thing after another with me at moment..
  • Posted

I have fractured spine lumbar spine rods screws plates and discs was damaged clad its not Ra in spine so it might be the fracture not healed yet hope get sorted bob good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.