Starting sulfasalazine

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi was at hospital today and been put on the drug sulfasalazine dont start them until wednesday i was diagnised with RA last september in my hands and wrists i now have it in ankles and knees...i started on 15mg of MTX now on 20mg was also on hydroxy but they never agreed with me i have to start on low dosage of sulfasalazine to build myself up to take 6 tablets a day of these just like to ask anyone on these drugs or has been have they helped was told ur pee can be orange and yellow tears something in the drug causes this...glad to hear from anyone

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi Bob,

I've been on Sulphasalazine for over a year now and they work well for me.

I started with 1 tablet in the morning in week 1. 1 in the morning & 1 at night in week 2. 2 in the morning & 1 at night for in week 3 and I now take 2 in the morning and 2 at night ( I wasn't aware you could take more than 2g per day).  It's the Sulpher in the drug that turns your pee illuminous and that hasn't gone away for me.  I had the same colour tears for the first few weeks but they are back to normal now.

Best of luck.

• Posted

Thanks victoria can i ask have you ever came out in a rash taking these tabs over the year as they ones have the common side effects
    • Posted

I did have a pretty bad rash a couple of months ago but I put it down to a heat rash. With antihistamines and calamine lotion the rash was gone within a few days so I never stopped using sulfasalazine and I've been totally fine since.  I think it's just a case of try it and see.
    • Posted

hiya was ur rash a red spotty one? i have it too and was advised to stop and restart from beginning when the rash has gone. i didnt want to stop as they were workin x
    • Posted

Sorry for the late reply.......I wouldnt say it was spotty, it was more red and lumpy - I didn't even contact the doctors incase they did tell me to stop the medication.  I hope you're feeling better now.
  • Posted

hiya, i started on sulfasalazine and after my 4th week of takin 2 in a morning and 2 in an afternoon i developed some kind of blood spot rash, the same as i get when i am in the sun too long. i was advised to stop but didnt want to as they was already working and didnt want to take methotrexate! did anyone else who developed a rash carry on takin them and it go? iv stopped now and have to wait till it goes and try restart from 1 tablet a day again 😞.
  • Posted

i have been on Sulphazalsine since january and now they are starting to work i still get some pain not as bad as it was i am more worried about going to the dentist next week carol
    • Posted

I was supposed to start them last week but weary of doing it cos depends on ur body weight how many tablets u take i have to build myself up to taken 6 a day...my 8 MTX tabs on top of that so would work out i will be taking 50 tabs in a week for my RA and kinda scares me abit taking that amount..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.