Starting venlafaxine next week

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi new 2 this recently been to the doctors suffering really badly with depression anxiety ocd. Enough is enough. Currently on setraline so i will be on venlafaxine from next wk then setraline every other day then wk after just venlafaxine. But very nervous now reading some of the stories. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Next
  • Posted

How long you been on Setraline. Only asking as I was on Venlafixine and had a terrible time on them and since been on setraline can't say I've been better but I haven't had any of the nasty side effects

• Posted

hello, i wouldnt listen to the stories about ven in particular, for a few reasons. if you look under most of the different anti depressants, you will find horror stories. some people stop taking them, when they shouldnt, as they forget what state they were in when they started, and they dont come off them correctly. thjs applies to all amti depressants. some people cant stand the initial side effects and give up, again applies to all anti depressants. ven is one of the mote difficult ones to come off, so you have to do it carefully. a lot of people on anti depressants forget what they were like prior, and think that coming off an anti depressant will make them feel better, when they need to stay on tjem long term. anti depressants arent necessarily going to make you happy, but they can, and certainly make you feel and function better. everyone is suited to different ones, and its a bit of a lottery finding the right one for you. i had an unbelieveably bad time on citalopram earlier this year, ended up much worse than when i started. cit didnt suit me at all, but i know that its one of the best ssris, and does really well for a lot of people. i had same concerns as yourself, but after lots of my own research, knew that ven was the one that potentially offered me the best outcome. fortunately, my pysc recommended it, and its turned me around in 5 months. it took a long time which was the only issue, and side effects were minimal. i actually like taking it, as it calms me, and initially gave me a pleasant dreamy feeling. i personally know a few people that have recoverred really well on it. i also know people that its not suited them, and they couldnt wait to get off it. ive been on 3 anti depressants long term, and its been the best one. if it suits you, you could do really well on it, if it doesnt, youll have a bad experience, which applies to them all. Ven is particularly good, for people that dont or no longer respond to ssris. someone will no doubt post on here that it should be banned because of so and so. it doesnt work for everyone, but if it does, it seems to be very good. ven is thought as being an energising amti depressamt, which was one of my concerns, and i was worried about the side effects. my pysc said there arent amy guarantees, and i may not experience the issues. i thought i was the type of person that would, but i didnt. whatever you choose, isnt going to be easy, and will takea long time. all the best, for whatever you decide.
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Nigel. Myself been on at least 4 in all there was 2 of them that the side affects i didn’t like. But this setraline what i,m currently on is obviously not working, as with these severe anxiety depression bouts are the worst i have experienced in a long time. Think i will just go for the ven i was literally going to change my mind. 
  • Posted

I hate to burst your bubble but I’m looking to get off of them. Only been on them 10 weeks now.  Dr is having me wean off slowly using Prozac as a bridge. Have you researched this drug ?  I mean REALLY research it.   It’s the toughest AD to get off of.  Has your Dr ever considered Prozac/ Fluoxetine?    Are you being seen by a psychiatrist? 
    • Posted

its irresponsible to dismiss an anti depressant based on personal experience, neither can you throw out names of alternative anti depressants. ven has been recommended as an snri, as the doctor or pysc believes that a ssri, such as the ones suggested are less likely to work, given past failures on previous ssris. its a recognised process. sorry to have a go, but people scaremongering, without understanding, or consideration arent helping others.
    • Posted

please accept my apologies. yes, you are correct, people need to be aware of what happens when something doesnt work.
    • Posted

no one was honest when I started the ven about what it's like and I wished I'd had people's experiences as this medication has even been on BBC news in the UK because of its bad withdrawals.. With millions of people suffering.. I did not research enough I just took the ven as I was in a bad place.. a doctor is there to make one feel better.. But gives no advice on what it's like coming off my advice just RESEARCH and do what's best for you this is just a place for advice which people can take or leave

• Posted

I was in a pretty bad state I had the mental health crisis team come too my home too help me. Venlafaxine has 100% worked for me. It has lifted my moods and I've been able too return too work. I honestly thought I was never going too get better. But I have don't listen too the horror stories there is also people that have good results with venlafaxine like me. Everyone is different I tried mitrazapine and that didn't suit me but would maybe suit another person. I hope you feel better soon take care xxx

• Posted

Hi so it worked for you these stories are putting me off.  I suppose i just have to try it.
    • Posted

Yeah it's worked for me I've came off citalopram n mitrazapine over the years and the withdrawel were horrendous I'm serious I joined the mitrazapine support group n everyone said on it it was a nightmare too come off brain zaps extreme anxiety insomnia etc. I think they will all be hard too with drawel from that's just my experience tho xxx

• Posted

Brian-you can at least try it.  It would be wonderful if it worked for you!   Everyone is different.  If it doesn't work & you don't like it, just withdraw under a doctors guidance.   As Nigel said, it will take a while to work.

Best of Luck to you!  We are all here for you, keep in touch with us.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.