Starting venlafaxine next week

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi new 2 this recently been to the doctors suffering really badly with depression anxiety ocd. Enough is enough. Currently on setraline so i will be on venlafaxine from next wk then setraline every other day then wk after just venlafaxine. But very nervous now reading some of the stories. 

0 likes, 28 replies

28 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi been on setraline about 6 yrs maybe. The way that i feel now with my anxiety and depression and ocd going through the roof with these certain worries that have plagued me i will try anything to get better. I can see there is mixed reviews i am a bit nervous on trying this. But i need to try something as i,m desperate to get out of this very black hole. Thanks for your reply’s though means a lot. 
  • Posted

My advice would be to steer clear of ven it can be a life saver for some but if you ever want to come off the withdrawals are just awful I'd research more about the medication and possibly go for alternative.. But the choice is entirely yours

• Posted

Hi bit dubious now so your saying the withdrawals is very bad. What if you didn’t come of them. 
    • Posted

Then you'd experience no withdrawal I guess I can't say for sure as I'm not qualified but my experience wasn't good at all hence I came on here as I was in a state and needed advice I too suffer with anxiety I was on citalopram then ven but wanted off as I wanted natural resources. But good luck what ever you decide

• Posted

Don't be nervous. I was too but have now been on 150mg of venlafaxine xr and feel better than ever. on about 3months...It takes time..

Everyone has a different opinion.. Don't let the negative scare you. A lot of us need them to feel ok..no regrets here..

• Posted

Hi Brian

I was the same as yourself. I suffer bad anxiety. Had been on citalopram for 10 years and stopped working! Tried setraline but felt like a zombie and they moved me to Venlafaxine. The side effects were not too bad slight nausea the hardest part for me is the tiredness. I have been on 7 weeks and been up and down. Upped dose 2 1/2 weeks ago to 75mg am/pm. Visited docs today and she has asked me to stay in for another 3 weeks. I hope this drug works for me as can’t go through changing tablets again. 

• Posted

My anxiety is so bad at the moment i need something but off putting that it’s going to take ages still before i feel normal again. 
    • Posted

So when you go on ven is it as long as you can basically.  Thing is i work shifts so that’s another thing they won’t be all at the same time, 
    • Posted

You do have to take the pill at the same time every day or very close to the same time.  
    • Posted

My doctor gave me diazepam to take occasionally until they kick in. I try not to take unless really bad as they are addictive. If your anxiety is that bad you never forget to take your med. hope you feel better soon x
    • Posted

I am thinking against the venlafaxine going to doctors again on Monday morning to properly discuss options or different options. Thanks 
  • Posted

Hi All Quick update from moi. Was on ven for about 10 years to 2018. Just about functioning, working etc. Then neurologist advised me to switch to amitriptyline, as better for fibromyalgia type symptoms I get in addition to depression/anxiety stuff. Twelve months of torture on amitriptyline followed, then eight months of cold turkey to May 20. That was equally awful, so trued to reintroduce ven, thinking it would work second time around. Unfortunately couldn't tolerate, even at v low dose, so weaned off last week on doc advice.

Fourth day on nothing, and have unbearable low mood, mental tension and insomnia.

Plan is to play Russian Roulette and try something else again.

What a life.

Hope everyone else managing.

Thanks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.