sterilised 2 years ago, nothing but pain since

Posted , 53 users are following.

hi

i was sterilised 2years ago but had nothing but pain since. i have been in and out of hosptail had test ,but still in alot of pain , the pain seems to get traped in the right hand side of my tummy i have taken mst codeine phosphate tabs. but does not help the pain, can any one tell me if there is anything else i can try , at the moment it hurts to move with the pain, had doctor out last night but he didnot what to do for me . i really do wish that i never had it done, if anyone thinging about having this done ,then my advice is DONT

[i:6fc2258347]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6fc2258347]

8 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi i just read your message i am 26 mum to 4 lovely children at the age of22 when i had my last son by c/section i got sterilized

since then i to get so much pain mainly in the lower right side sometimes if i bend down it feels like somethings popped or moved its horrible i to have been to see about it and they say nothings wrong i just wanted to let you know you arnt alone and was wondering if anyone else has the same trouble

**** @ ****

[i:a707f080a9]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a707f080a9]

[color=green:a707f080a9][size=9:a707f080a9][b:a707f080a9][i:a707f080a9](Sorry but Patient Admin have removed either a telephone number, an email address, and or web address, from this posting, as it is the policy of Patient UK not to publish these on this forum.

If you wish to communicate directly with people, you should register, for free, with the forum (click Register in the menu list below the green banner above). You and other registered members will then be able to communicate with each other via Private Messaging (PM) or e-mail.) [/i:a707f080a9][/b:a707f080a9][/size:a707f080a9][/color:a707f080a9]

• Posted

I am in the same situation. i got sterilized after my last child 4 years ago. i didn't want to but my ex husband poked his head in the theatre and said make sure you cut those tubes. He was very abusive. I never ever wanted it done i was high on drugs during surgery and just said do it after what he said. I've regretted it ever since. I've since met a lovely man and would dearly love to have children with him but more the point i just want the pain to stop. I cant even go shopping. the pain in my sides since sterilization is a sharp stabbing pain not an ache. i've took myself top casualty twice where i was so scared where the pain was bad. I can't afford reversal and i've seen my doctor hundreds of times i'm on medication for pain and severe heavy periods. She has now put me forward for reversal on nhs on medical grounds. a baby would be nice but i have children so its not the end of the world if i dont have anymore, but i do want to be normal again and have no more pain. NEVER get sterilized there are other means of contraception where your left with a choice and no pain.

[i:684a60d34e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:684a60d34e]

• Posted

I was interested at your situation, I too have very severe pain for which I take Codeine Phosphate and Diclofenac together, but they do not touch the pain. It is worse during ovulation, so bad that I cannot get up and walk about. I have been to see a gynaecologist about it but they said it was 'just ovulation' and the only thing I could do to stop it was go on the pill!! My GP says there is no way that I can get a reversal on the NHS, they just won't do it. So I feel like I am now stuck with this debilitating pain for the rest of my menstrual life. :headhurts: Not only that, but my periods have become so heavy, that I cannot use tampons (even the largest absorbency) because they just get soaked so quickly that they fall out.

In conclusion, my advice to anyone thinking of sterilisation is the same as yours - DON'T DO IT!

[i:ba79c011f4]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:ba79c011f4]

• Posted

Hi, I'm 35 mother of 2 that has found harself looking into contraception again after a marriage break up from a man who had had a vasectomy. Thinking that sterilization would be my easy option, I was moved by your experiences of pain and regret. Needles to say it now seems like the most unessesary and drastic method.

So I thank you for your advise, wish you all luck, and go back to popping the pill.

[i:1c56a39ca3]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1c56a39ca3]

• Posted

[b:1d0a17aa19]hi everyone, i have been to the dr's today to talk bout being sterilized. i'm 37 and have had a gyneafix coil in for 5 years which now needs to come out. i talked with him about different options and he assured me there were no side effects to being sterilized and now i read your terrible stories i have to say i'm put off. i'm worried about this coil as i have since read awful things about that and i also do not want anything hormonal, so i dont know what else to do...i'm really shocked that you cant get the reversal when it is clearly causing you so much pain...is there anyone out there that has not had any side effects to sterilization?[/b:1d0a17aa19]
  • Posted

Hi I am very happily married with two wonderful children and decided that we didn't want anymore, and as my husband hates hospitals and needles I went to see my GP about being sterilised. I was told there wasn't any side effects and it was all very straight forward. I had the op in April this year and have had nothing but pain since. The pain is located mainly on the right hand side and is very severe, I have been backwards and forwards to the doctors and had lots of tests which all come back fine. In fact I am now beginning to feel that they don't believe how painful this is. It is an awful stabbing pain located on the right side. All I am doing now is just taking pain killers. The doctor will not acknowledge it is anything to do with the sterilisation, but I was fine up until i had it. I would advise anyone to think very very carefully and be aware that this can happen.
  • Posted

I can honestly say I had no side effects to sterlisation. It was done about 15 years ago.
  • Posted

hi i was steralised 2 years ago at the age of 30 and i have had nothing but trouble ever since i am now recovering after having an operation 2 days ago to remove the clips as a recent op showed that all 4 clips had came of and the left clips had traveled all the way round to the right side were all 4 clips layed togeather i was then asked if i would consent to this being published in ther medical journel as it had never been seen before after all the pain i have been put through since having this done the hospital still refuses to reverse the operation wich i think is totally wrong after suffering to operations and to years of pain !!
  • Posted

Just wondering if all the ladies who had pain all had clips or bands put on their tubes. I'm 43, got 4 kids, have terrible problems with hormonal contraceptions and doesn't want to rely on barrier methods, so sterilization is the only option. Hubby big woss and can't stand the thought of him going through it.

I was thinking that the pain may come from the pinching of the tubes so maybe cutting and tying would be a better option for me. :roll:

• Posted

I was sterilised by cutting, cauterising, tying off and clipping. I asked my lovely consultant after many years of begging. I've had period/pain issues but this is nothing to do with the steri op. Being sterilised was the best thing ever......wish I could have had it done years ago when I asked for it. I've had more fun since then than ever in my life. It was like being born again.

The fact that i'm going for a hysterectomy soon is nothing to do with my steri op. Bad things happen to people at times. DO NOT read these horror stories and assume this will happen to you. Weigh the pros and cons that apply to you not someone else.

• Posted

Hello guys,

I was sterlised when having a c-section with my third child 3 years ago due to not being able to take hormones for contraception as they give me terrible side effects.

Ever since i have been in pain, stabbing pain that makes me cry i have had bleeding all the time which has been getting heavier every month for the past year and after one set of tests two year ago i was told to get some anti depressants and go on the pill!! this year it got so bad i went to a different doctor who told me the same thing but i got referred for tests again which showed nothing, now they have given me a d&c and put a mirena in as they think the hormones going directly to the womb might be more tolerable for me and will stop the bleeding and the pain.

They cant find any reason for what i am feeling and i feel laughed at by the hospital.

I am in terrible pain now and am already feeling the familiar hormonal side effects and i cant help but feel its being sterilised with clips that is the problem but they wont reverse it or even listen to me i keep getting told there is no chance its the sterilisation causing all this but i cant help but think it is. It started the day after i had it done and never had these problems before.

I get told its the pressure of having three kids but i still dont think thats right, they cant see anything.

Not sure what to do but wait it out with the mirena and hope it stops some pain. im too young for a hysterctomy as im only 28.

• Posted

Hi,

I can't believe I've actually come across people suffering the same syptoms as me. (I swear my hubby thinks I'm exagerating) I'm a 36 year old mother of 3. I asked hubby to have snip ex amount of years ago, but he bottled it. I then fell pregnant with my last child who has just turned 4. When I found out I had to have a pre-booked c-section coz he was so big, we though I might as well get sterilized too and be done with it. What a big mistake. Like all of you, I have suffered from the most horrendous sharp stabbing pains (mainly on the right side) ever since... There is no warning - just bam - like I've been stabbed. I also get horrendous trapped wind and my periods last 2 weeks from start to finish. I so wish I never had it done. My advise to anyone thinking about having it done is DON'T

• Posted

I was sterilised 7 years ago and it was the best thing i've had done.

It was initially painful immediately after the op and uncomfortable for a couple of days but since then I've had no pain, and the majority of women I know that have been sterilised have had no problems, including my mum who was sterilised 34 years ago.

Just wondering when a couple of you have had sterilisation with C/Sections whether the problem with pain is related to adhesions from having C/Sections rather than due to being sterilised, especially if you have had more than 1 C/Section.

• Posted

My mum had all her children normal delivery when she got sterlised after my youngest sister she had so much pain n problem that in the end 2 years of agony she had to have a her womb removed completely now she never had single op in her life .. All the trouble came after sterlising..
  • Posted

hi,i too was sterilised almost two years ago after having my fourth child by c/section.i regretted it the minute it was.i was having problems with my marriage and my husband at the time convinced me that if i had the sterilisation we would get our marriaghe back on track.needless to say that wasnt the case and we parted 3 weeks after.

Since having the sterilisation i have had nothing but pain and massive blood loss.this completely drains me.i would do anything to have the sterilisation reversed. sad

• Posted

I have these tablets called somthing acid from my heamatologist maybe that would help u they are kind of working for me as ive only just stated taking them

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.