sterilised 2 years ago, nothing but pain since

Posted , 53 users are following.

hi

i was sterilised 2years ago but had nothing but pain since. i have been in and out of hosptail had test ,but still in alot of pain , the pain seems to get traped in the right hand side of my tummy i have taken mst codeine phosphate tabs. but does not help the pain, can any one tell me if there is anything else i can try , at the moment it hurts to move with the pain, had doctor out last night but he didnot what to do for me . i really do wish that i never had it done, if anyone thinging about having this done ,then my advice is DONT

[i:6fc2258347]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:6fc2258347]

8 likes, 79 replies

79 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

I was sterilised nearly two years ago after having my son and have been desperately unhappy since having it done. I too have experienced a lot of pain on my lower right side of abdomen which is like you say absolutely awful. My sterilisation was rushed in to after myself and my son's father seperated very bitterly and now I have met my soul mate I feel useless and pathetic as I can't give him any more children if he wanted them. We are both in our early thirties so there is still plenty of time if we had wanted to but now I am left feeling a freak who is being crippled by pain and tortured by the fact I can't have any more babies. I am gutted is all I can say and I would strongly strongly recommend NEVER NEVER NEVER has this procedure done.
  • Posted

hi i am 27 and have 3 children all by section so decided to get sterilised after my last. My periods aren't too bad bleeding wise but oh my god the pain for the first day or so. it is also mainly on my right side as if near my ovary? and it cripples me. i also experience awful pain when ovulating. it is like a stabbing pain. i am assuming it must be due to sterlisation? my tubes were cut and tied so no clips involved. i don't know why it does it but haven't been to doctor yet as i don't think there is much they can do. although i might go if it carries on to get some pain relief - tramadol seems to work well although it is strong and can make you feel spaced out. i had some from a previous prescription so have been using that. once it kicks in i can stand up straight again without feeling like i'm being punched in the stomach. glad to know i'm not the only one that suffers.
  • Posted

Hi ladies, I'm 35 and have three lovely children. I was, atually untill now, serriously considering going for sterilisation. I'm quite very confused now of what to do as both Implanon and Injections have given me had times almost every day bleeding.

My husband has considered going for versectomy but reading on its side effects, its all pain too? What can we do now?

• Posted

I would say get coil or take pill thus sterlisation is awfull after effect with all ppl on there with similar problems after it i wouldnt recommend it ..
  • Posted

I was sterilized in 2006 at my own request. I have two boys now aged 9 and 13.

Almost immediatley I suffered from chronic debilitating pain. (mostly lower right side, sometimes both sides) After yo-yoing in and out of the local Doctors surgery, by partner took my to Casualty who gave me morphine and referred me to the Gyne clinic.

I begged them to take the clips out and in April 2009 they went back in to have a look. The clips have come off and 'migrated'. One was found to be imbedded in my pelvis with tissue growing over it and the other could not be found. I was told that this was NOT the cause of my pain, but I had some slight scarring on my left ovary (Endometriosis).

Finally after a failed Zolodex treatment for Edno I was opereated again in July 2010 and finally had the clips removed. I took my last morphine pill the day after the op and have not looked back since. Ive lost nearly 2 stone, dropped two dress sizes, can run 5K.

Today I had an appointment with the NHS board about my complaint and was told that the in this instance the clips were to blame but they have never heard of it causing problems before.

To all of you ladies out there, get them taken out.

I spend nearly two years on morphine based pills to cover the pain. My kids had to look after me when I was ill. They had to grow up too quickly, which the NHS can never give me back

I have asked them to tell all women who ask for sterilization that the clips often come off the fallopian tubes and basically swim around your nether regions for the rest of your natural life. Pain in these instances may be less than 0.25% of cases, but consider this - do you want titanium and plastic clips attached to your pelvic area and in my case the wall of my bowels?

Oh and they did apologise. I took my complaint to my local Comunity Health Board who have been fantastic. Do not give up hope. Do not back down, you know your body and you know what is wrong.

• Posted

Hi

I was sterilised around 22 years ago and the last couple of years had problems with pain and heavy bleeding. After several

scans it has been discovered that one of the clips have came

off and moved to the other side of my stomach. I am now

waiting to see a gynaecologist and hopfully have the clip removed. Over the last couple of months the pain is really severe and I am taking strong painkillers which do not help. On a visit to A and E the doctor told me that it is not always possible to remove the clip. Any advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

Hi every one im new to this so I have read through a few comments. I am 32 and I got sterilised 7years ago after having my son. I have had loads of pain and problems since then I have had tests I was even told I had ibs because of all the pain I had the doctor out no end of times and he gave me morphine injection with some think else to try and ease the pain so went back to see my gp and he said its not ibs and they still dont know whats wrong I have now been put on two lots of strong painkillers and it still dont help. It was the clips I had as well I have asked for it to be reversed and all they say is no not on the nhs it costs to much all I want is to be able to come off all the pain killers im on and have no pain.
  • Posted

hi im 33 and i was sterilised 4 years ago i was fine until 2 years ago when i started getting pains i went to the docs and i was diagnosed with ibs its was my appendix i was tested for stis and even had a scan they said i has endermetriosis so i went for the op when i came round they said 1 of my clips had come off and embedded itself on my womb then for 12 months i was tooing and frowing from the docs with pains again he said i got middle pain and put me on the pill and now im in agony again and they wont refer me to the hospital 2 see if the other clip has come off
  • Posted

Hi all, i was steralised 3 years ago (20th march 09) and the first year i had severe pains where my scar was (it wasnt infected as it was checked) - just kept getting really back 'cramp' so to speak - went to the docs and my doc dint believe me... my periods have been wayyyyyyyyyy heavier than ever. 3 years on i still have major cramp and pains and not being able to move sometimes and i went back to my doc (my old one retired) she had felt down there where i was getting the pain and she said it cud have been something to do with my tubes getting caught on my skin etc and it was really painful. .. if it carried on within 3-4 weeks then go back andi will have some tests done, scans etc to see whats happening and if its still the same, ill have to have surgery to get it all sorted. now im only 24 and i was so scared when she said this.. i was 23 when she said it soooooooooo much has happened i havent gone back but i still have major pains and periods really heavy. in the last 4 weeks, ive had 3 periods :-/

I regret getting sterlised as ive met a lovely bloke who i would love to have a baby or 2 with and he would with me as he was the one who brought the reversal up.. im just worried that because my tubes were cut and tied, they may not be able to save them.. - i read on a link on here somewhere that i need to go see my gp, ask to be refered to a gyno and see if there was any damage to my tubes - if there was then the chances are very unlikely it will happen

I regret getting sterlised!!! Caused me nothing but grief :-(

• Posted

really bad cramp**

plus my ex never believed how much pain i was in (until 2 years ago when he left) and now my friends still see me suffering with pain sad

• Posted

Hi everyone. I was sterilized 2 years ago a year after i had my 3rd child. At the time i was in an abusive relationship and was forced by my ex partner to go for the op as it gave him even more control over me. At the time i was asked very few questions regarding my relationship and they did not seem concerned that i was unmarried. I have regretted having the op everyday since. I have been in constant pain in my right side and i can without doubt feel one of the clips on my right tube. I have days were im unable to care for my children due to the pain and regardless of tests and quite invasive examinations ive been told nothing is wrong. ive become depressed,withdrawn and cant go a single day or night without searing pain through my right side. If anyone can tell me either how you cope with the pain or some way to get my GP to listen to me please reply.
  • Posted

hi every 1 im 28 an has been sterlized 5 years now an all this time iv bn telling myself that it was the best choice iv made but also for the last 5 years iv bn in constant pain iv lived down my doctors an im poping painkillers like smarties it wasnt untill my hubby an i sat down the other day an put 2 an 2 together an realised that its only been since i got sterlized.

im going 2 b printin all ur post an taken them 2 my doctor because i now know why im in so much pain i dont realy want another baby but if there is away 2 stop me being in this pain day in day out ill have a house full of children i would like to thank you all for sharing what your all going through

• Posted

Hi Everyone, I was sterilised back in 2006. I am now 43 years of age. It has been really helpful reading about all of your different experiences because i too have suffered similiar experiences.

I was especially interested in the lady who had the op - then had it reversed. If you get this email - please be kind enough to let me know how you went about it - because I really want to get it reversed.

This is my story:.........

I had two children, boy and a girl. I fell pregnant with a 3rd child (not planned but decided to go ahead with the pregnancy) - but I suffered a traumatic miscarriage. Following this I sought advise on contraception. The clinic advised me that I was too old (35) to go on the pill, as it would be quite dangerous and a shock to my system having never taken the pill before. So they strongly recommended the Mirena plastic coil. I had the coil for approximately 18 months before having it taken out because the hormones (although only small amount) really affected me. I also gained a lot of weight.

I then started enquiring about Sterlisation as I thought it might be a good option. I wish I had read a site like this before having the op.

I was the first patient to go into the theatre that day and the last person to come out. When I came too, more than anything my chest was in severe pain - the nurses had to call the doctor out of the theatre to come and see me in the ward. He administered morphine. A few hours later when I could sit up in bed the doctor came round the ward again and explained that the pain was normal. I asked why my chest was hurting though? He couldnt answer me...

Immediately after after the op (I had Titanium clips) attached, I was in severe pain for approximately 6 months (on the right hand side - where my ovaries are). I made an appointment to go back to see the surgeon who advised me it was partly in my head and also that he didnt believe in using a de-sensitizing spray (which some surgeons use) on my tubes prior to putting the clips on. So he explained that sometimes it takes some time for the tubes to accept the clips on them. So he told me to give it a few more months and then the pain would subside.

Believe me though, I was on every pain killer you could imagine. My periods were slightly heavier than before, however not much difference as they had always been quite heavy. A few months went by and he was right - the pain stopped.

However my periods have been irratic ever since. Sometimes they are heavy and last for more than 7 days. Sometimes they last for 2 days and then I get another period two weeks later. Sometimes I dont get a period for 6 weeks to 2 months. The sharp pains on the right hand side have started again also so I have been back to my GP.

So far they have tested me for the menopause twice. Not menopausal. I have had an ultra sound - which came up clear. I have gained approximately 2 stone in weight since the op also.

In 2010 I suffered a full blown stroke. All tests were run on me and I didnt have high cholesterol, nor did I have any heart problems, I wasnt stressed etc. It was a complete mystery as to why i suffered the stroke??

My GP referred me back to the hospital where I had the operation, and I saw a consultant. He announced to me that my medical records stated in the notes that when the surgeon did the sterilisation, he dropped one of the clips which fell into my pelvic area. They tried to retrieve the clip but couldnt, so he said they just applied another clip to my tube and stitched me back up. That clip has been left floating about around my body! However the consultant advised me that this was in no way a problem whatsoever! He said that after several years of having a sterlisation - where the clips have been put on - that part of the tube just breaks away from the area and falls into the pelvic area anyway. They dont explain this to you when you go for your pre-op consultations do they? Therefore I could now have 3 clips floating around in my pelvic area or he said (they could be around my bowel area).

In a few weeks time I will be having a laparoscopy / a hysteroscopy and a D & C. The sugeon wants to carry out the D & C to test me for any cancerous cells. They will also test me for endometriosis and polysytic ovaries and anything else they can think off!However I just think that the sterilisation is the cause of all the pain I have endured and I think that the clips (whereever they are have caused problems).

I am even thinking that possibly they could of caused a clot - thus causing my stroke! Who knows???

Anyway I wanted to share my story with all you ladies out there. I have a lot of friends whose husbands got sterlised and they are all fine...So if your hubby doesnt want the op, then dont push yourself forward because you think it will be nothing in comparision to child birth....I wish I had never had the op. I will never let my daughter have the op either!

• Posted

I have been considering having this surgery for a while, and had my consultation today....... I had issues with having the clips anyway, and now i can see I was warranted in requesting a non-clipped sterilisation. I'm now thinking about calling the whole thing off......

Is it really more trouble than its worth? I've never had any gynae issues, and I dont want to start having them now!!

• Posted

I wouldnt! I never had any gynae issues either before the sterilisation, so if you want my honest opinion dont have it done. Everyone is different however, as you will see above there was one lady who had no problems at all.

If you cannot use any other form of contraception, then could your partner consider having the snip as it is less invasive? If you have gone through the pain of having children, then why should you go through this operation also?

If you dont have the clips, which type of sterilisation are they offering you?

Think long and hard about your decision...

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.