Steroid injection for a suspected frozen shoulder

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've had really bad pain under and down my arm gradually getting worse from end of November, the shoulder hurts in some parts but the pain down my arm is unbearable at times, burning, stinging and tender to touch, the doctor thinks it's a frozen shoulder and is sending me for a steroid injection even though I haven't had a scan or anything, should I ask for a scan before I have this and also is this injection very painful, would appreciate some advice before my appointment on the 28th march 2018, thankyou, Karen.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Is it possible that you injured your shoulder? I’m asking because to rule out a rotator cuff tear.
    • Posted

Hi Donna, not had any injury to my shoulder at all, it started gradually with pain at the back top arm and just got worse from there.
  • Posted

From my own experience where my doctor hadn’t sent me for an US or a MRI, I would push to have at least one of these done. At least the diagnosis will be confirmed.

Although I trust medical opinion for the most part, they often are taking a best guess. It is best to know what the underlying pathology that caused the FS is. 

• Posted

Totally agree with your comment, Karen should have an MRI of her shoulder for diagnostic purposes. To determine why she is experiencing symptoms of frozen shoulder.

• Posted

Thanks Jim, don't really want to have the injection if a fs hasn't been confirmed, also been told they really do hurt.

• Posted

karen, Can't remember my exact age when I had my first FS (maybe late 40's), but the doctor told me I was too young for a steroid injection. You should research the downside of getting them before proceeding. I also agree that you should have an MRI. My 2nd opinion dr. ordered one; first doctor just wanted to operate immediately. 

• Posted

Apparently too many cortisone shots too close together can cause tendon damage and atrophy. My Dr said he gives no more than two in a 12 month period, so tissue can recover. Also for diabetics the cortisone can  cause spikes in blood sugar for a few days.  It isn’t usually recommended for people with known heart damage.

I am contemplating asking my doctor for another cortisone shot in April, which will be six months since the last one. This is to reduce the inflammation and pain so I can increase my range of motion enough to break down residual adhesions. 

It is a slow walk back to a healthy shoulder, but I am confident it will get better.

• Posted

Hi, i have also had my frozen shoulder since November, had the steroid injection a few weeks ago this was done at the hospital. Injection hurts but not as painful as the pain you suffer from an FS. 
    • Posted

Thanks April, gona discus it with my GP before I decide to have it or not but a few seconds of pain is nothing compared to the prolonged pain I've been having, hope your pain has eased.

• Posted

Karen, the injection eased the agonizing pain, but still have pain but compared to the pain I was in glad I had the jab, my GP referred me to Musculoskeletal assessment Team who did the injection.  
  • Posted

It’s better to get an MRI mine did not show anything in X-ray the steroid injection lasted only 4 days I’m on my 6 weeks on PT and this helping me a lot I’m not taking anymore of my Norco at night only Meloxicam 15 mg at day time I’m able to sleep now straight without getting up in the middle of the night . Ice and hot compress helps a lot too. My PT gave me instructions on how to do stretching/ strengthening at home. I strongly recommend PT but you have to be patient going to the appointment . Hope this will help
  • Posted

Get the injection before the scan . I am working on my second frozen shoulder . I just had an injection and it helped a lot this time . Last time with my other shoulder it didn’t . I think I waited too long . The shot isn’t that bad . Quick and easy . Good luck 
  • Posted

I was diagnosed with fs in January. (Throughout the Fall the pain was getting worse, and finally went to my doctor January 2nd). Ultimately went to a physical therapy office. They STRONGLY recommend to take a shot if the doctor offered it. So, on my next visit to the doctor, I said yes to the shot.

It hurt a lot getting the shot, and for the rest of the day I could not stop groaning because it hurt so much. BUT, the next morning I was feeling something like 75% less pain. Then the next day the pain was almost completely gone. I could still not move my arm, but I was not in constant pain.

I am very happy that I got the shot!!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.