Steroid injection for a suspected frozen shoulder

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi I've had really bad pain under and down my arm gradually getting worse from end of November, the shoulder hurts in some parts but the pain down my arm is unbearable at times, burning, stinging and tender to touch, the doctor thinks it's a frozen shoulder and is sending me for a steroid injection even though I haven't had a scan or anything, should I ask for a scan before I have this and also is this injection very painful, would appreciate some advice before my appointment on the 28th march 2018, thankyou, Karen.

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Generally the definitive diagnosis for FS is the loss of PASSIVE movement (ie the doctor can't lift your arm either, it is physically frozen).  Other types like bursitis, rotator cuff etc, you will only lose ACTIVE ROM (you can't lift it yourself but someone else can move it for you).  So if you aren't in the frozen stage at all yet, yes MRI is best because its really difficult to tell.  They type of injection will differ depending on the diagnosis.  For bursitis or rotator cuff they go into the back of the shoulder, towards the bursa.  For FS, it should really be ultrasound guided and they need to go into the front of the shoulder to really get into the capsule.  Also, hydrodilation injections (where they use saline under force to break up the adhesive caspsulitis) is far more effective than just cortisone alone.  Cortisone will just provide a temporary pain relief.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.