Steroid Injections!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi folks, it's the preverbial bad penny here again, I haven't been on for a few days, or is it weeks not sure time seems to pass by without relevance these days.  

My question here is has anyone had steroid injections as my doctor seems to think this is the next step for me, I have managed to avoid them for several years now, by changing the subject anytime they were mentioned or cancelling appointments for them......But the pain is driving me doo lally and along with that I am getting depressed as I can't do the things I used to, which seems to go with the territory so the doctor says, also a friend of mine who's husband had severe R.A., said depression and RA go hand in hand at some point.

Back to the topic, should I bite the bullet and have the steroid injection or not?  I mean I am in pain just now but is the pain of the injection going to outway the pain I'm in just now?  

Sorry to ramble & thank you for reading and perhaps offering some advice.  

Tricia x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Tricia,

I'm still on the unconfirmed side of RA - had many of the classic symptoms apart from swelling and redness, but all tests came back negative.  My Rheumy was very good and agreed to give me a intramuscular steriod shot (into my behind) for general inflammation on the basis that, if it worked, then clearly there was inflammation going on that the tests weren't picking up and he would feel more comfortable to get me started on longer-term drugs in a couple of months time.  Well, the steroid shot (which wasn't the least bit painful) has been fantastic!  I'd say 80-90% of my various aches and pains have gone.  It is SO nice to get out of bed in the morning without wincing!  I'd say go for the steroid shot!

If you are referring to a shot directly into a joint... I had one several years ago for a frozen shoulder.  Hurt like hell, but it was SO worth it.  A few minutes of pain was easy outweighed by the advantage of having my shoulder released and all pain gone for months.

• Posted

Thank you JW89 for responding to my post, I hope your get confirmation soon, it's the not knowing I sometimes think is the worst.  

I have a needle phobia and I think that is why I'm so scared of having this injection, but I just keep thinking it would be wonderful to have one day totally pain free I haven't had that for at least 20 odd years now.  

Tricia x

• Posted

Don't think of the needle.  Think of being pain free!! 😃  One little prick and then no pain.  What are you waiting for?

Constance

• Posted

Hi JW89. I read your post with interest as I have all of the symptoms of RA too but without the swelling (I'm puffy really than obviously swollen).  recently my rheumatologist suggested reactive arthritis and plantar fasciitis. Having some further tests and X-rays for completeness but I'm overjoyed if this is what it is as RA is in my family so it's obviously a concern. I don't remember having a recent infection but I have had problems with my knees for years so don't feel confident we are on the right track yet. I digress a bit but basically there is nothing in my bloods either, everything within normal range, even if at the top. I would love to be able to try a shot along the same basis as yourself, not just to rule something out but for a bit of relief really. Would be really interested to know how you get on please. Sorry for hijacking your post Tricia! All the best! 
    • Posted

Hi Littledog - my Rheumy has currently got me down as 'possible undifferentiated inflammatory arthritis' and said he'll start me on DMARDs when I next see him in December if this steroid shot has worked.  So now I need to do my research on different DMARDs.  Once you've gone through all your tests, maybe you can persuade your consultant to try out a steroid shot on you... I can't tell you what a fantastic difference it has made.  I know it won't last forever and even if it wears off before my next appointment, knowing it works and that Rheumy will probably give me another shot in December to tide me over until drugs kick in, will keep me going in the interim.  He did say that most consultants would have just discharged me on basis on no positive test restults and referred me on to a pain management clinic, so I'm grateful he was prepared to try the steroid shot on me.  Hope you get some answers and pain relief too.
  • Posted

I can't help you I am afraid, but I DO know about injections, I've had masses of them for one thing or another and I cannot imagine that the pain we go through is worth rejecting an injection.

Good luck!  

Constance 💐

• Posted

Hi Constance.de, 

Thank you so much for your response, I guess I'm just a coward when it comes to pain and with me having a really severe needle phobia it's making the decision even more awkward.

Tricia x

• Posted

Bite the bullet and just have it done!  Had injections in my back last week and it wasn't pleasant but my thought is if I want to walk without pain It was the thing to do!  The discomfort will be a distant memory!  Let us know how you do!
    • Posted

Hi Buckeyes,

Thank you so much for your response, I guess your right even if it's just one day of being pain free it has to be worth it.  So yes, I think I have to bite the bullet as you say.

Tricia x

• Posted

Hi Tricia

Sorry to hear of your pain. I have had RA since I was 30... 17 years ago. Have experienced most of the medications along the way. Finally secured enbrel which is thankfully working. Unfortunately too late for my poor knees. Currently chair bound. Had one total knee replacement in july and next one due in November. Never dreamed of this at 47.

For 8 yrs I was having many steroids in my behind and also in my knee joints as they drained them. At the time I was grateful for the relief from pain.

However as a result of seeing an orthopedic dr I now understand that too many steroids in the joint can actually destroy tissue and cartilage. Lots of reports out there now on subject.

I'll never know whether over use of steroids resulted in my knees going but it has made me wonder.

Stetoids great pain relief but like everything else. ...everything in moderation. Id just like to see free biologics treatment for all RA sufferers from diagnosis.

Good luck and hope you're feeling better soon.

Deborah

• Posted

Hi Deborah,

I too was in my late 30's early 40's when I was diagnosed with RA, at first I thought as my mind would...."I'm going to beat this", Hahahaha, how wrong was I.  Over the years I have spent thousands on Homeopathy and other remedies, which in the long term did manage to keep it at bay in some ways, then I thought this is rediculous.  I am kind of like you, in that it takes such an effort to actually get out of the house these days, I need to get up at least 3 hours before I need to leave the house in order to actually get out.  So scared about the injection.  

Tricia x

• Posted

Have the steroid injections! You won't be sorry, my doctor is refusing to give me anymore. The last one I had almost got rid of the pain and it was wonderful!! but now it's coming back and they won't give me another one, he is looking at changing my medicine which maybe a good deal as I am losing feeling in my hands now
    • Posted

Hi river22,

Thank you for your response, Yes I think I need to just go for this as I really am getting fed up being in pain.....Tricia x

• Posted

Hi, I've had RA for just over 5 years now. I've been on methotrexate and hydroxicloriquin but for the last 6 months have been going downhill steadily. I had a steroid injection in the bum 3 weeks ago and have been fine since. It didn't hurt and got me up and going again inside 2 days. I would certainly go for it.
    • Posted

Hi MickyPhillips,

Thank you for your response, having had RA for more years than I care to remember now, I am so fed up being in pain, I would just love to wake up one morning and not be in pain.  

I think my doctor is wanting to do the injection into the joint, which having a needle phobia doesn't make me any more relaxed about it.

Tricia x

• Posted

You won't see the needle and if doc gets in front of you, keep your eyes straight ahead. I had one in the shoulder and it barely hurt
    • Posted

Thanks River, I am thinking of taking my earphones and putting my music on, eyes tight shut and hope for the best.  When you got your one in your shoulder did it actually take the pain away or at least give you some relief? Tricia x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.