Steroid Injections!

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi folks, it's the preverbial bad penny here again, I haven't been on for a few days, or is it weeks not sure time seems to pass by without relevance these days.  

My question here is has anyone had steroid injections as my doctor seems to think this is the next step for me, I have managed to avoid them for several years now, by changing the subject anytime they were mentioned or cancelling appointments for them......But the pain is driving me doo lally and along with that I am getting depressed as I can't do the things I used to, which seems to go with the territory so the doctor says, also a friend of mine who's husband had severe R.A., said depression and RA go hand in hand at some point.

Back to the topic, should I bite the bullet and have the steroid injection or not?  I mean I am in pain just now but is the pain of the injection going to outway the pain I'm in just now?  

Sorry to ramble & thank you for reading and perhaps offering some advice.  

Tricia x

0 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi, I have had steriod injections in my shoulders, work for about 3 months - but alas it has come back, yes Depression goes hand in hand with RA. I knew i had hit my low point when i could not physically facing my own family, I really hated my life, went to a counsellor who has helped me no end.
    • Posted

Hi Jane, 

Thank you for your response, Oh! How wonderful to have no pain for 3 months that would be bliss.  I can't remember the last time I was ever pain free, I'm really getting so fed up with this.

Tricia x

• Posted

Tricia, hello. I feel for you.any on going pain aggravates other issues. The pain rheumatoid arthritis causes, I believe, must be experienced to understand its severity. It's true that depression, quick temper, fatigue quickly begin to intensify...stemming from the severe joint pain. An injection in the hip, for Me anyway, was like a miracle! So Yes, take the shot. Get some relief... through the years I have used remi-caide infusions, humira, embrel along with methotrexate, plaqunil. Still I took prednisone pills, plus a steroid in the butt every 3 months or so. As years went by the pain in my wrists & knees would become overwhelming. Doc would inject directly into the joint. And oh my the relief would be sweet!!!!

HOWEVER, after 12 - 15 years, I was hospitalized with an infection. I was shocked to be diognosed with "steroidal induced diabetes" that's right... diabetes. And it is hector hell to control. I now inject insulin twice a day. Just be careful with long term use of steroids. This is my experience, and we respond all different from case to case. I sincerely wish you the best! , David

• Posted

Hi David, 

Thank you for your response,

I'm thinking I'm coming down on the side of the injection but it's going to take all my courage to do it as I have a horrible needle phobia, which is not great for this type of thing.

I'm sorry to hear abut your diabetes, that's horrid after everything else you've gone through.  I just want one day pain free Tricia x

• Posted

Hi Tricia

Just an idea but it was mentioned to me once...take some pain relief before going for your injection...cocodamol or the like.

Someone suggestef it to as my weekly enbrel injections hurt...I think it helps takes the edge off.

Good luck.

Deborah

• Posted

Thanks Deborah, 

I think that's probably a good idea, but as I'm already taking co-codamol I guess it's already in my system.  

I just hoping I don't have to much pain after the injection as apparently you can have some pain before it dies down again and then it starts working.  Well that's what I've heard.

Thank you, Tricia x

• Posted

Hi

I am new on here, but just thought I'd let you know.  I had a steroid injection inderneath my foot for PF in my right foot and it was excruciating.  I nearly jumped up to the ceiling.  It hasnt got rid of it and it has relieved it a little although the pain has now gone into the arch of my foot.  Dr said if it dont work first time come back and have another one and one after that if needs be.  Its the worst foot condition ever.  I just want it to go away.

• Posted

I had a steroid injection in my left elbow last week, so far seems to have worked a little.   Previously had steroid injections in both wrists which didn't work at all.   Also had a steroid injection in my shoulder 20 odd years ago (not RA related).   They don't hurt at all, if you don't watch you won't feel much more than a little prick.   

• Posted

hi tricia. i jabe been suffering from knee pain for over 5 years gradually gettong worse. i have a consultant but as i am only 45 he will not consider me for knee replacement which is what i actually need. instead as my knee is worn considerably on one side they want to break ny shin bone and realign it tk put morr pressure on the right side of my knee which we discovered yesterday was also starting to fragment. I have tried off loader braces but they just make my leg ache. so yesterday he gave me a steroid shot into my knee. the nurse made me panic as she said she had had two before and she was there to hold my hand so I was thinking this is gonna hurt!! however it just felt like pressure and was over in 10 seconds. the pain has gone straight away and was well worth it. he has now left me on an open appointment and given me a year. I doubt it will last that long but ive got my fingers crossed. I'm even playing a game of netball tonight .. just have it done it really honestly is fine. xxxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.