Steroid side effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi, I'm taking prednisolone for a chest infection. I think they are helping with my breathing but I'm feeling a bit shaky and nauseous. Has anyone else experienced this. Don't want to stop taking them if they are helping.

2 likes, 24 replies

24 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hello Susan, yes, have been on prednisolone, on and off, yes, it does have side effects, you can usually collect an information sheet from chemist. I find I feel the same and sleeping is also affected usually cannot sleep too well. If you find it is helping, hang in there, is will pass when you finish the course. I found it helped with the wheeze, along with the antibotics. Hope you are feeling better soon. Take care
    • Posted

Thanks so much degb, think I just needed a bit of reassurance. Hope you are well and merry Christmas .
    • Posted

Your most welcome, think this is a great forum for support, we don't have medical knowledge but we do have an emotional component we can support each other. Warmest best wishes to you. Des

• Posted

You can help the sleeplessness by taking them right at bedtime so that they don't hit full effectiveness until after you're asleep. Ifalso taking antibiotics, they can compound that effect and also cause nausea, especially if taken on an empty stomach. It's counterintuitive but unless med instructions specify to take on empty stomach, it's best to eat at least something when taking any med/supplement (prescription & over the counter).

• Posted

Unless you are getting severe side affects (mentioned in the information leaflet that comes with the meds) you should finish the course, if you are getting the side effects mentioned in the leaflet, the leaflet will mention if you should stop the meds and contact your doctor.  If you don't complete courses of the meds you risk the infection not being cleared up properly and it returning.  

You should take your medicine as prescribed by your doctor/  Generally in UK it is It is usual to take prednisolone once daily, in the morning after breakfast.  But do whatever your prescription indicates.

• Posted

Yes, Vee, most people do hop up and take their meds, often without food. I have monster sleep issues due to another disease & take sleeping pills. But ABs & prednisone, especially in tandem, render my sleeping pills ineffective. The best neurologist I've ever had is the one who suggested the counterintuitive method of taking sleep interrupted at night. It doesn't solve the problem completely since I usually have to take less effective ABs & several times daily, but it helps. And since I have to take benadryl half an hour ahead of prednisone to counteract whole body hives, all the better. But we started the tactic long before I needed the benadryl.

• Posted

Hi aitarg

So sorry you are having to deal with so many health issues.  You have to do what works for you best and what your doc recommends for you of course.

Generally what is advised in UK may not be the same world over but one of the reasons not to take medicines on an empty stomach or late at night  (unless specifically the medicine prescribed needs to be taken that way to be effective)  is generally to avoid acid reflux and in the case of oral steroids generally because they do interfere with sleep pattern.  

For each individual it is best to take medicine as prescribed by their doctor, and in line with the information leaflet that comes with the meds, the pharmacist is also a great source of information for any one wanting to double check.

• Posted

Gosh, Vee, I failed to notice that M.D. after your name, versus my mere J.D. Since neurologists order & interpret sleep studies here in the States, they're pretty well versed in sleep issues. That includes acid reflux since it interferes with good sleep. It was a brilliant neuro who handed out the counterintuitive advice, so I'm trusting his real M.D. yours.

Nobody has to follow my neuro's suggestion. As with all of us here i merely stated what helped me, which was suggested by a doctor of the central nervous system who dealt with sleep issues day in and day out. Not many American docs give out brilliant solutions from outside their strict medical training any more, apparently per your training, than Brit docs do. But the vast majority of docs aren't so well versed in the mechanisms of sleep as Dr. Douglas was. He retired 10 years ago & I'm still bummed about that. I will continue to follow his advice until someone with at least a real M.D. after their name tells me otherwise.

Have a good day.

• Posted

No one is advising you to do anything other than what works best for you and what your doc recommends of course (as I've already said above)  and so each person should be guided by their own doctors regarding their own individual situation.

• Posted

Hi Susan I just come out of hospital with Copd and servere Asthma on prednisolone 8 a day they do help with your breathing I been on them for years when needed hope you get well soon they do help me
  • Posted

Unfortunately quite common I find I’m taking as many tablets for side effects as I am for my condition but I promise you perceiver & you will eventually get the combos right  

• Posted

Big time side effects so be careful and go down very slowly to nothing. I am on my way down from 60mg and will be at 10 for another week before going down to 5. 
  • Posted

Yes, he’ll yes and ABSOLUTELY. THE DRUG IS GIVEN during a flair up of breathing problems and it does make breathing as it eliminates the swellings in the lungs.   
  • Posted

I thought it was worth posting as I have a very acute reaction to prednisolone every time I take it. Unfortunately it is the only drug that has any real effect when you have a COPD/asthma episode. I become manic initially           (-anxious and nauseous sometimes) and unable to sleep for days. I always ensure that I now wean myself off slowly and have consequently found a way to deal with taking steroids when necessary. The first time I was prescribed this drug the doctor put me on a high dose for 8 days without a wean off and I suffered a full psychotic episode about 16 hours after taking the last dose. I lost all cognitive ability, had terrifying visual hallucinations and had 3 days of sheer hell. I don't want to scare anyone, as I think this was a rare reaction, but it does seem to be reported more and more often in forums and its something that people should be aware of as it can be avoided by always reducing the dose slowly. 

• Posted

Wow! It's been more than 30 years since I heard of anyone in the States receiving a non-graduated dose of prednisone, except of course all those folks on permanent doses for other reasons. That is an extreme reaction, mine don't come close on prednisone tho i've been tgere with reactions to something else.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.