steroids

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone just need to know if any ones knows how long is takes for steroids to start working iv just been on 2 weeks of antibiotics not done nothing, now iv been put on sterrode 8 a day started yeterday still no change think I will end up in hospital again it's been a year since I was last there ,hope your all not to bad .

0 likes, 43 replies

43 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Hi.

I take prednisone on a regular basis for Polymyalgia.

My surgery has a system where we keep an emergency pack of antibiotics at home. Also sputum pots and lab forms. If required,

I can start using a/b, when lab report is back, a/b are changed if necessary.

If necessary it's an increased doze of steroids.

Usually works in 48 hours.

Hope you get this sorted soon.

• Posted

I was put on steriods like you, tablets and inhalers, but had no effect, so i was put on l000m of antibiotics twice a day for three months at a time and they did get rid of the infection until of course you catch another infection and the procedure starts again. good luck you will find a solution at some time as there is lots of medication these days that will help you, .When i first starting having  treatment for bronchiectasis there was no such thing as antibiotics.
    • Posted

Thank you for that .yes it's just can't seem to pick up this time and can't clear my chest no matter how hard I try won't to go out for walk as been ill for 3 weeks and in for almost 2. But it's raining on and off and so damp out side don't think it's going to do much good .. I'm so used to going out walking every day. I think we have to much antibiotics now days don't you.
    • Posted

well i can not agree with you on going for walks as long as you wrap up well thicks socks hat scarf etc,its the bugs out there that gives us the infections, i have to take the dog for walks so it gives me that incentive to go and get some exercise and fresh air in my poor old lungs and as for  the antibiotics well I can not knock them they have kept me alive for most of my 75 years.
    • Posted

Yes I do understand I think I'm very down at moment sorry
    • Posted

Please do not feel sorry for feeling low,just go back to your doctor explain how your feeling, and if your not happy with your medication you need to tell him or she. The winter time can make everything seem worse than what it is, it can effect us all healthy or otherwise.
    • Posted

Yes thank you my gp said they are not so glued up on this . I have my next 6 month appointment at hosptil on 20th so I will talk to her. My bonus nurse is ringing tomorrow with results of sputum test so we will see. And I'm Gald you said wat you did cause that's Wat I needed going for walk tomorrow for a hour no matter wat so ty xx
    • Posted

Well done,   go for that walk you will feel different when you get back.
    • Posted

Hope so. When I'm well I walked everywhere Al ways have done ,I can't drive and my family not near so I do love walking and yes your wright you do feel a lot better,this is the first time in 64 years iv been feeling so I'll and not been out side for nearly 2 weeks.
  • Posted

Steroids should kick in in about 48 hrs.  Im on predisone on an ongoing basis (40mg per day).  At first, the pred, even in a small amount, helped a lot, but now I can't ween myself off of it. 

My doctor started me on a long term low dosage antiboitic two weeks ago, and I just started a regular antiboitic the other day in addition.  Ive been baby sitting my 4 1/2 year old grandson for the past week.  He goes to daycare, so he's like a walking germ convention.  If I catch anything, I'll end up in the hospital.

Keep healthy

• Posted

I know it's hard when you have kids to look after, I look after my 4 year old grans on he's at school now so always picking up some bug.its my last day of sterrode today thank good with haveing diebecit my sugar is run ing so high and the side affect of the steroids seem to be kicking in feel crap still nurse seem to think cause my chest still sounds full of mucus and cause it's showing up as no infection she thinks I could be get ocpd now omg I'm so fed up with all this just feel like my body is gave ing up . Hope you feel better soon don't know wat I would do without this site xx
    • Posted

Ment to say copd not ocpd my heard is all over place sorry x
    • Posted

I know how you feel, the last few years, this illness is really slowing me down. There is a lot I would like to do now that I am retired. 

Im not ready to give up.  Thanks to this website, Im trying different things. Like taking Manuko honey everyday.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.