stiff knee

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi im nearly 8 weeks post op but why is my knee stiff 80% of the time?? It stiffens up as soon as I put it to the floor and continues to be stiff til I lay and rest it??? Is this normal or am I perhaps not exercising enough??? Any suggestions???

0 likes, 22 replies

22 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Andrea, mine does stiffen up after doing stretching exercises. Massaging the knee loosens it up. Try rubbing the leg using E45 cream or similar so you don't pull the skin. The whole area softens the more you massage.
    • Posted

I do use bio oil twice a day but il try using it more and massaging more!! Thanks x
  • Posted

Hi Andrea - I'm afraid there's more to come I'm 24 weeks still have a stiff knee and muscle/tendon /ligament pain above and below.

Everyone seems to be healing at different rates. Hopefully yours will improve soon.

When you consider they virtually cut off your leg and reattached it - is no wonder it complains!

• Posted

This is why I like this site cos you can ask a question and at least you no ur not the only one and its normal. Im def gonna ice and massage more now!!!!
  • Posted

I am six weeks post op right TKR and the stiffness responds best to movement and ice. I definitely prefer the stiffness to limping for two years.ย 
  • Posted

Yep still have the stiffness and I'm 11 weeks post op. I'm sure it's all to do with healing and also the more you exercise the more you are using injured muscles, tendons etc. I also use bio oil on my scar. Would you suggest using E45 cream to massage the while knee? Will buy some today and try it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    • Posted

I tried E 45 cream but went back to bio oil. I suppose its a preference thing??
    • Posted

I use both E45 and bio. As bio says to use just a few times in the day I put this directly on the scar. Physio showed me to run my finger over the scar (I know this can still be painful so she said to do the parts that you can manage).

I use E45 more as a lotion. I know that it's not going to do me any harm. I use this over scar and around the back when massaging.

The muscles around the scar will feel lumpy and hard. I was told the more I rubbed these, the easier it would move and elleviate some of the stiffness. Amazing how right they were. ๐Ÿ˜œ

• Posted

Ok ... I think I'll use the bio oil on the scar and the E45 cream to massage arou the knee and see how that feels ๐Ÿ˜‰ xxx
  • Posted

A lot of the stiffness starts with lower back and hip muscles being weak and works its way on down the leg. If you are like most people who have gone through this, you walked with a limp favoring the bad leg which allowed the soft tissue to develops bad habits. You are now trying to so about 3 or 4 things at once: heal all the surgical damage, inside and out, strengthen the knee so it can support activities it isn't used to, return to a normal walking stride and pace and get your upper body upright again. When you excercise, do it slowly and with full extension. When you walk slow down, take full heal, ball of the foot then toe steps. Hurrying and not taking full advantage of the opportunity to correct old habits is really wasted effort. Most of us are in such a hurry to rehab we forget to do things correctly. After my original tkr my foot flew to the outside and I must have looked a little like a duck. When I had the revision I made sure I took the proper steps to walk straight. Where I'm from, no one uses crutches, a walker is the issued assistive device and it makes it much easier to do the proper step as you don't worry as much about balance an it isn't quite as tiring. I am now 8 weeks without a prosthesis trying to clear up a major staph infection and when I get my new knee installed in the next month, I will again take my time doing each excercise slowly and correctly. Doing them wrong is about as bad as not doing them at all. Again, make sure you are stretching everything from lower back to your feet. If you can get a professional massage with emphasis on lower back and legs, it will so you world's of good. If you can't do that, just give your leg as deep of axrub as possible
  • Posted

I think exercise is a good thing even though it may be painful to start it gets better the more you do.ย  I've got myself a JS Knee support which you can buy on line. before I hadย this I couldn't put my foot to the floor properly and trying to do the stairs was no mean feat. Now I can do all this and wear the suport all day and it gives a lot of relief. Look it up and see what you think.
  • Posted

One other thing, stay hydrated. Drink water like you are trying to put out an internal fire. Dehydrated soft tissue just won't stretch and stay pliable. Stay away from too much caffeine and carbonated drinks (alcohol included) as they pull fluids off quickly.
    • Posted

Me neither.... thanks for the advice. Will definitely drink more water!! ๐Ÿ‘

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.