Stiffness

Posted , 7 users are following.

i had bilateral knee replacement on January 18 and still feel very stiff especially my left knee. Not too much swelling but disappointed in my progress

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nance exercise is key, you really need to strengthen and lengthen your muscles. The better the stretch the better the muscles support your new joint. I was very lucky in my recovery am almost 12 months out! Only recently experiencing stiffness and took to massage therapy! Amazing results have learnt so much! Put the work in Nance work those muscles you will reap the rewards! Hang in there it’s worth it x
  • Posted

Hi Nance. I had both my knees replaced Mar 2016. I believe, with two replacements together, the recovery journey may take longer. Learn as much as you can about major bone surgery recovery. Eat clean, drink lots of water, do a little light exercise and see a good physio. It's can be a really tiring journey but stiffness is part of the deal lovee! x

• Posted

Good physio is worth their wt in gold!!! How many months are u out lyn? Im 15 mo today. Stretching makes all the difference Nance, freestork is right!

• Posted

Hi Auntie. 23 months post op. Been a looong road. I could not walk prior so now I am pretty active. Both hips next! Enjoy your life lovee! x
  • Posted

It’s very early days after a knee replacement. Keep doing the exercises and I’m sure the stiffness will disappear eventually. Best of luck x

• Posted

Put in the work. I'm 14 months post and still exercise to keep musclec strength . The stiffness will get easier but even now gets a bit stiff if sit around too much. You are early on in the process but will get there with work and focus. I am so pleased had this done !

• Posted

IT'S ONLY BEEN A MONTH!!!!!  Geez...  Gotta get all those expectations out of your head.  Disappointed?  Based on what?  This whole thing takes a year...period.  At a month, I was still drooling on my pajamas...

Bilateral?  Really?  You are one of my heroes!!!!!  I could NEVER imagine doing both at once.  You truly are one of the bravest people we ever meet on the Forum.  Now you have to learn to be good to yourself and treat yourself with kindness instead of filling your head with unrealistic timelines and milestones.

This is the most brutal of all surgeries...and also the most Zen: "Your knees will be better when they are better."  You have to do all the ROM and exercise work required but a knee CANNOT be pushed to recovery like a hip of shoulder (I've dealt with all of them).  Time, work and patience...that's it.  Stiffness is a given, especially when all the scar tissue hasn't been broken down yet.  That stiff/tight/band-like feeling can last 12-18 months as it gradually lessens. Count on it...totally normal.

Post this on your fridge...

https://patient.info/forums/discuss/the-reality-of-a-tkr-recovery-in-one-picture-626038

• Posted

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess my expectations are over the top. I have to be more patient...
    • Posted

Virtually all of us start out the same way...in fifth gear, hit a wall and then downshift to first.  Just get rid of those expectations...they will screw with your head big time.  Never compare your recovery to that of anyone else...we're all different.  That way you can OWN your recovery and then rejoice in your own, personal success.  Time, work and patience.  That's the formula.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.