Still can't bend pass 90 degree, why?

Posted , 12 users are following.

I'm still having lots of trouble bending my knee pass 90 degrees. I exercise the knee five days a week for at least 1 hour. I can't ride a bike or exercise on the elliptical machine without lots of pain. I, also, have pain toward the back and side of my knee, when I first get up from a sitting position. I'm so frustrated and don't know what else to do to fix my problem knee. I have tried bending the knee pass 90 degrees and I stop because of the extreme pain. It feels like I'm going to break my leg. Am I going to stay like this forever?

1 like, 23 replies

23 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Maria,

How long since you op?

• Posted

It been 5 months. My doctor told me I should be running by now.
    • Posted

I think your doctor needs to calm down. I doubt any of us will be running in 12 months, let alone 5.
    • Posted

Hi maria

In that case I hope he has a TKR and tries to run after 5 months. He is obviously a bit of a joker but not very good at it. Sorry for this reply but it makes me so mad when i hear of doctors talking like this. I bet he tells everybody theyre overweight and drink too much too. Im nearly 7 months,go on the bike in the gym but it still hurts sometimes. I think the best way to do exercise is in the water if you have access to this Maria. To reppeat,sorry for going over the top but Id feel like strangling him.

• Posted

Running?? Where did your Doctor get his degree, off the Internet?? What a fool!

I think youve already had a number of very good rellpies with sensible comments, all I can say is be kind to yourself, dont overdo it (you may need to pull back on the  exercise a little) and remember its not a race to get back to full strength. Dont get too hung up on numbers - some days youll get 90 degrees with no problem, others will be a struggle. Youll get there xx

• Posted

Your PT would know if you should be reaching 90* by now and if your surgeon should know about it. For me the bike is no problem but you can't have your knee bend too much
  • Posted

that sounds like too much exercise also. i was given a list of stretching exercises that last 10 minutes daily. definitely talk to your surgeon or your PT 
    • Posted

This sounds similar to what I was given. I'm at 5 weeks now and I think the bike comes in a couple of weeks (although my rehab is probably a bit on the slow side, for a number of other reasons).

An hour a day sounds a lot unless you're several months in. Do I remember that you're trying to get fit enough to go back to work??? If your body's not ready, it's not ready sad

What does your physio say? ( I'm hoping you have one.....)

• Posted

sorry sorry, I've managed to combine a reply to golf lover and t o Maria in one post. Hope it makes some sort of sense.....! I'm on antibiotics, you see......wink 
  • Posted

Hi I'm almost 5 weeks PO.

Last week I asked physio about using exercise bike and she said it was too early.

I do however have about 30 minutes of exercises 3 times per day

Most days I can only manage 2 sessions, due to tiredness, swelling or pain, or a combination.

Overall I feel I'm doing OK, bending is at about 95-100. Leg feels stronger.

My biggest issue is (and I expect will be for some time) is the difficulty in sleeping. My other issue is worrying about not being at work, bur everybody has told me to take my time and get this right, so that's what I am doing.

This forum is a great comfort and great info. I appreciate it greatly, Thank You to all

Alan

• Posted

Hi!

I will be five weeks post op for my  second TKR tomorrow and when I started physio this Saturday my bend had dropped from 90' back down to 75'! I started on the bike but couldn't  turn the bike pedals full circle at all🙁 but this is the very same situation that I experienced with my first TKR in 2014 and I seem to remember that it took a lot longer to be able to turn those pedals & reach a 110' bend!

The physio said that I must forget walking but do the following exercises four times a day:-five minutes on the bike trying to turn the pedals as much as possible, and also do lunges using the second step of the stairs;sit on the bed and bend knee up with the aid of a towel; sit on a chair or table and bend the leg back using the other leg. He also told me to ice the leg and sit with it up against the wall to reduce the swelling that seems to plague new with TKRs & to medicate regularly so that I can bend the knee! I don't seem to have a problem with straightening it's always the wretched bend that I find extremely difficult & very very painful!

As for running-what a silly thing for him to say! My Consultant told me that I'd never run again! (I have had to hurry out of the way of the odd car & must have broke into a sort of jog with my first TKR after a year or so but I don't think that you can, or should run anyway!)

Dont get down 😄

• Posted

Yes I didnt think it was wise to run when youve had a knee replacement. Ive done the same as you had to step a bit quickly across the road but it hurt. I still think at nearly 7 months my knee is a bit raw and still healing so Maria at 2 months less definitely will be. Good advice to Maria I think Glenda

John.

• Posted

I was told no running, skiing or contact sports at all but plenty walking and swimming, my head in school did ot appreciate me teling her I would not be taking hockey club any more!
    • Posted

I tell everybody Ive had to cancel all my limbo dancing competitions but iM sure Ill come across somebody at some point whose had 2 TKRs who is still winning them.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.