Still feel unwell after Helicobacter Pylori Treatment

Posted , 107 users are following.

Hi,

I had symptoms for about 2 months, nausea and upper abdominal gwaning feeling, plus appetite affected and had waves in the day feeling generally unwell , I think it was brought on due to a stressful situation. I went to the doctors and tested positive for helicobacter pylori. I have completed the 7 day treatment (Triple Therapy.) I was on 400mg Metronidazole 3 times a day, Amoxicillin 500mg 3 times a day and Omeprazole 2 times a day. I've been off the medication for about 11 days. I have waves of extreme tiredness, abit sickly feeling, sick upper abdominal feeling, tounge doesn't look right, been given thrush treatment for this. And also I have waves of soreness and swelling feeling in the upper stomach. I have lost a bit of weight, a few pounds. I have been off work for a month in total and am wondering if I will ever get my health back?

I take probiotic tablets, Manuka honey, peppermint tea, abit of yoga, walking, plain foods. But admittedly at times I do feel a little bit destressed when I have waves of not feeling so good. Everyday is a battle at the moment. Plus when I go to the loo, last week my stools were acidic, this week a slight improvement, but not normal. The doctor just said they can retest in another 3 weeks. But sometimes I feel so ill.

Any advice in a positive way forward?

6 likes, 418 replies

418 Replies

Next
  • Edited

Hi, I have been experiencing the same as you.  I too tested positive for h pylori just last month and was put on the same drugs as you but for two weeks.  I finished the course on 2 May (so over three weeks ago) and still suffer from the same symptoms.  The doc says he will retest me in six weeks so I have another three to go.  The gnawing pains in my stomach are awful and I feel pain after swallowing.  I also have cough alot after meal times - like I have mucus in my throat and need to keep clearing it.  Hopefully someone might add to the thread and shine a light?  You should be retested soon so let me know whether the h pylori was eradicated or not.  Good luck x
    • Posted

How are you today? Personally I am drained of energy, even after a good night sleep. I'm eating, but pale skin. I've heard this amount of anti-biotics can strip your goodness in the stomach lining. Mantra you have to keep telling yourself 'I will get better.' I know the whole experience is really hard as I'm going through it as well. Good Luck to you as well

• Posted

I dnon't sleep well ever so never really feel refreshed and always look pale.  I still think I have the h pylori even after the course of antibiotics.

• Posted

Hope you feel better soon.  I have heard of people having to take another course of antibiotics if the first course didn't work.  I felt ill during the 2 week course, though my doc did warn me of the horrible side effects in advance!  When will you be retested?

• Posted

Maybe you should take Mastic Gum and Broccoli Sprout juice whilst your waiting to retest, cranberry Juice, Manuka Honey. Are you on anti-acid tablets?

I'm not sure I still have it? For the last 2 days I've? just had no energy. What do you do to take your mind of it whilst you wait?

• Posted

I also find a little bit of stretching (yoga), waking, time in the sunshine can help energise yourself. Plus resting the body when needed.
    • Posted

Maybe you should take Mastic Gum and Broccoli Sprout juice whilst your waiting to retest, cranberry Juice, Manuka Honey. Are you on anti-acid tablets?

I'm not sure I still have it? For the last 2 days I've? just had no energy. What do you do to take your mind of it whilst you wait?

I think I can get retested in about 2 more weeks. Who knows if there will be any progress in that time? I'm not sure if I could take anymore anti-biotics. I've heard the anti-acid can effect the results. Although I'm not a doctor.

• Posted

Did the doctor warn of the side effects on the medicine or after the medicine?
    • Posted

He warned me that the antibiotics could cause unpleasant side affects - apparently many people dont complete the course because of them.  I did though through gritted teeth! Doc said I should try to come off the Nexium at least 10 days before we retest as they can cause false negative.
    • Posted

hi I have been experiencing same problems as you. have you found any relief yet?
    • Posted

did you have bleeding in your stool? After 2 weeks of treatment for h pylori and the ulcers i still feel like crap and my gi also gave me for Hemorroides but none of it worked. cramping upper stomach and lower, nausea, fatique . it just sucks bc i want to get better.

• Edited

I am taking Nexium and Zantac.  I just try to get out in the fresh air as much as possible with my dog to help keep my mind off things, plus the exercise helps me sleep.  I watch what I eat too - nothing spicy or acidic (like fruit juices etc) and I find eating little and often helps too.
    • Edited

Your not alone. Keep me posted on your progress... People do seem to recover over time.
  • Posted

My doctor told me to stop the amoxi. Gave me tinidazole, and clarithyromyocin. Taking zofran for nausea and bismuth. 3 days left on meds. God willing I will be cured. Hope you are well.
  • Edited

Hi,

I also feel really bad after the pylori treatment. I was wondering if you are feeling better after 7 months. What is really frustrating is that I feel weak, nauseous and these palpitations create more anxiety. Thank you!

• Posted

I have never felt so bad after the antibiotics which was only 2 weeks ago getting heart palpitations feeling dizzy now I have more anxiety  more than ever because I feel that this h. Plyori hasn’t been eradicated and I have to wait until January until I come off the Omeprazole which I’ve dropped from 40 to 20 because that was making me feel even worse it’s a waiting game not good.
    • Posted

Anna,

I am also taking omeprazole, just started yesterday. The bloating is better but still there. The palpitations is what worries me. I try to stay calm but it is difficult. When I try to think in something else it helps but still the palpitations don't go. We have to try and find ways to avoid anxiety. I am seeing a psychologist and see if that helps. The gastroenterologist told me to start a diet low in fiber, which was completely different to what I was doing eating mainly fruits and vegetables. We have to keep our minds busy. On top of it, I have menstrual cramps and the period always affects my hormones. We all need to think this is going to go. Ahhh, also, small meals and drink water 30 minutes after meals. I am trying to do 5 or 6 small meals a day. 1 or 2 portions of fruit and 2 or 3 portions of vegetables such as squash, potatos, spinach, eggplants. One portion is half a cup. I don't know if this will help but the gastroenterologist said it will. White bread, pasta and saltines. It will have to be for some days because we need fiber. I will let you know when the Dr. Tells me to stop. I am having a endoscopy on Th. Hope we all feel better every day.

• Posted

Also fish and chichen, small portions.
    • Posted

I have finished Omeprazole now but still feel awful but now I have noticed 2 red patches in the roof of my mouth sore one slightly bruised went to doctors about that and he didn’t know what it was so getting some blood tests done for that 
    • Posted

Anna,

Every Dr. I have seen, even an acupuncturist say my palpitations and weakness are anxiety. I will try to exercise, healthy eating, a hobby, whatever it takes to get my health back. I don't know about the red spots, I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

Hi, I'm new to this discussion and to h pylori.

I haven't been sick in 15 years, since I gave birth to my daughter, which was a hard pregnancy and tore up my stomach and triggered migraines.

I am vegan, distance runner and have not been used to taking any meds.

However, a month ago I woke up with nausea, migraines, stomach pains, anxiety, palpitations, etc.

The doctors treated me for migraines. 

After 2 weeks of BS and not being able to eat or sleep, I had labs and a brain MRI (negative). 

I insisted it was my gut - same as pregnancy - insisted on a GI doctor and h pylori test (thanks to a close friend who is a doctor).

Stool showed h pylori.

2 weeks of prev pac antibiotics and PPI (3000 mg/day).

I had all of the side effects associated with the regimen and more.

2 days ago, I finished the prev pac - still not able to eat or sleep much, and am at 70-75% with high blood pressure from all this. My usual BP is 100/65 ish.

I still have light headaches, stomach still ill, but am able to drive and did go for a short run yesterday and threw a party last night (probably ill advised).

I hear you all and feel your pain.

I am thinking about starting gum mastic. Thoughts ?

• Posted

I have mastic gum at the ready but have not used it yet. I do plan to but not until I get my retest results
    • Edited

Hi,

it takes time to recover. Some people it some weeks, some months or more. What helps after treatment: eat regularly food what helps your stomach, do sport, sleep enough and avoid stress. Only one thing helps: time if you keep this. I am after the treatment with 3 months and much better than it was but still not like before. Yes, all the symptoms are similar: nausea, stomach pain, acid in night, loose weight, anxiety. If you want good for you avoid some foods what makes acid (such as onion or tomato or spicy etc food). We are here if you need help. Take care

• Posted

Runbeth,

Have you tried Yoga?it helps me to relax at least while I do it. I eat small amounts, several times a day. I am seeing an acupuncturist and everybody including this Dr. says that shaky body and weakness is all in my mind!!! I don't know what to do. Develop a stronger mind? But how?What makes me feel better is that other people who have been through similar situations says it will go away. Just to be patient I guess and wait until our turn to feel better arrives. I tried the Mastic gum but I felt nausea. I am having a spoon of manuka honey that I don't know if it is really helping but at least it is natural. It is the only sweet I am having (with fruits) because I eliminated sweets completely. I give it to my kids, hoping they don't get the H pylori. I can tell you that since they are taking it they have not gotten any cold. It is expensive but I will do the investment for a while. I hope you feel better soon.

• Posted

I ordered the mastic gum and am going to try it. 

Can’t hurt ?

• Posted

Thanks. 

This forum helps a lot. 

I ran today and took my BP. It’s much lower. 

I still am feeling the symptoms but am much better. 

I agree with you that it’s just going to take time. 

Hope you’re better. 

• Posted

Yes, I am over the medicaments with 3 months and if I keep diet usually I have no problems at all. I was told by my friend (she is a doctor) that it can be 6 months as the stomach regenerates after this H.pylori if I keep diet, move and avoid stress, sleep enough (so live healthy). I don't eat sweets, onion, alcohol, any spicy food, any too fat food and drinks with gas. If I try any of this only for a small portion I suffering for a 4-5 days. I realized if I feel bad I drink green tea, eat rice and move and it is always better only for a little bit. Long way to recover but we must be patient and everything will be fine I believe.

• Posted

i know its been a while since you posted hope you are well my hpilori struggle is been for a year hope to hear from u soon

• Posted

Hello Tamas92825,

Thank you for your reply. I completed my H Pyroli treatment 7 weeks ago. I was just retested, my results came in negative. My symptoms are better than 2 months ago, but just like you I don't feel the same as before. You are right that it seems to take time, I noticed a slight improvement on a weekly basis, not daily. At one month felt about 30% better, and two months I feel 75% better, I am hoping it keeps improving.Going forward i will treat my stomach with greater care. These experience wears you down. We just have to be patient and give it time to heal. My brother shared his experience with him, it took him one year to feel normal again.

• Posted

Basically I am over of H.pylori sickness, it took for me a year to complete recover, but now I am fine. It is true that it is not the same as before but I feel only slight difference, for example I avvoid to eat those foods in evening which creates acid but on day I can eat absolutely everything already. It takes a very long time, for me it was a year. Keep on going you will be fine too but it takes time.

• Posted

hi

i got tested positive for h pylori 10 days ago. i have had it for last 4 years. had it in my pregnancy too which lead to an early placental abruption risked both our lives, stayed in icu for a over month both baby and me. it was awful experience. despite taking all the antibiotics and lanzaprozole my sypmtoms have not gone

• Edited

hello! just wanted to know if you are still positive for hpylori? also if your liver has been affected by it? i have hpylori for 6 years and still positive i cannot take antibiotics because of my heart .. so i am very scared !! my stomach is now swollen and kinda hurts a bit on upper right side. my stool has changed color and is lighter for a couple of months now so i am scared .. i read that u treated hpylori can cause liver damage abd can also damge the biliary duct.. so its scary plus liver cancer .. thank you hope you are better..

also omperazole can cause cancer as well and can bring out lupus.. of which my daughter has since 14..

• Posted

did you get full recovery eventually I had antibiotics and now have no h pylori I feel slightly better but still can't eat what I used to.

• Posted

Hi, am new to this forum and happy to be here. sorry for being little long, last month started feeling severe bloating, nausea, loss of appetite and general unwellness. Did Blood tests, USG, UGI scopy with biopsy and came out erosion gastritis with h.pylori +, took a course of triple therapy completed 4weeks back; 50% back to normal; main issue is nausea and low appetite and occassional bloating. after food, stomach feels heavy and bit weakness, fatigue. lost 2kg weight since last seven weeks. is it a phenomenon after h pylori treatment to take time in regaining appetite and back to be normal, am also very anxious personality and keeping worried almost every time. please suggest

• Edited

Hello, very happy/relieved to find this forum. I so identify with all of you. This is one lousy condition. My story starts last Fall/2022. In November I lost some weight. I may have been 10 over so I lost last and some more. I'm a bit older now so I know it's muscle mass loss, I've been to my doctor many times, I've had blood tests and hospital visits galore. First I was told IBS, then GERD, and then finally one wonderful hospital doctor kind of figured it was h Pylori. This was my summer pretty much. I've had stomach problems since childhood. About 6 years ago I'd have this bloating thing going on. With Miralax or on it's own it went away. I started with Senekot but that's too harsh on the system. I tested myself for gluten/lactose intolerance and I'm not those. So now with the Pylori. I tested positive in the bloodwork. They worked quickly and was put on Metronidazole, (4 a day) Clarithromycin (1 a day)and Rabeprazole.(1 a day) I'm allergic to Amoxicillin so one of these was the replacement. I was given treatment for 10 days along with Pepto Bismol. I just finished the routine yesterday and I don't know, I'm better somewhat but at night I get lower abdominal pain that makes me crazy. This morning sitting and walking I was very sore. Everything on me was checked thoroughly. They want me back 6-8 weeks for the breath thing. I thought it was 2 weeks but it's 6-8 for me. So I don't even know if it's out of me yet. I can't get to see a gastro doctor till December which is depressing but that's because of the COVID years, everything is behind. I know I need an endoscopy. I've wanted one for the longest time. My Dec. appointment is a consult so I don't know when the procedure can happen. I'm a careful eater and have taken things out of course. It's frustrating that friends of mine eat all they want of everything and I can't. And they don't eat the healthiest things all the time. Many doctors told me this is common. Not fair.:-)

During the regimen I was woken up in the night by heartburn which is scary. I tried the raised pillow thing. Nothing worked it and up 3 times a night either to go to the bathroom or adjust my body in bed or take another Pepto.

So now I have no idea what's what except for this lousy lower pain. It seems to come on at night. I eat earlier, I go to bed earlier, well not tonight because I found this forum with all of you thankfully. My friends don't understand at all and that makes it really depressing. I know about the brain/gut connection. I do meditation, but not much works. I walk enough. I swam in the summer. Equal measure walking 90 minutes or so non stop and swimming when it was summer still.

I had an appointment today for some other issue and when I got home I took a capful of Pepto and it worked fine. I feel it coming back now so will take one before bed. When on the regimen I was doing 4 caps a day as was told to. I'm figuring......maybe.....my body wants a bit more Pepto while the antibiotic works out of my body. I started taking Align during this because I want to build up the good bacteria I lost. All the more so because I'm going on holiday next week after 4 years of waiting to get away, and am scared of what I eat because on vacation you can't always stick completely to that and the times of days. I don't want anything to blow up on me. I figure that being in a different environment it will shift my mindset to other things. I know that works with other things. So a different city might help somewhat. It was planned ages ago and I'm not missing going. I don't know how one even contracts this. I haven't been out with friends to restaurants at all. I know hand washing is so important and we've all done since COVID started. And I'm thinking when I pick up food, did whoever prepare it not fully wash hands after bathroom?

Or did I get in the supermarket somehow? I have washed my hands for decades every time I come come from anywhere.

In any event, I'm in limbo I guess. I've added some foods back, but I'm hungry a lot because I miss those "trigger" foods. It's different for everyone I know. I just have not been as frustrated with anything in my life so far as this.

I did get one interesting piece of advice from the doctor who thought I might have this. She said there is a connection with H Pylori and if one has had their gall bladder removed. That was a revelation because I told her I did, way back in 2006. But no problems then.

So I watch every single bite, everything I do.......so so frustrating. Nobody really understands it except you great people I found on here tonight. I feel among fellow sufferers and friends. I worry whenever i get the endoscopy or maybe another colonoscopy (I've had three so far over years). of what they may find. I mean December?????? I'm going to phone again and see if they have another cancellation. One other doctor had anywhere from Feb to March next year. I couldn't believe it.

But I'm having my vacation whatever. I deserve it and hopefully I can focus on pleasant things. it's late and I probably have more I'm forgetting but this is really a lousy condition that no matter what you do, you still can't shake it. I'm just well happy isn't the word but relieved to read all of your stories. Some worse than me for sure. But it's so good to know I'm not alone.

• Posted

I forgot to add in that up to the point of getting the analysis, the last year or so, bloating has been a big problem. I went to the hospital almost joking I was ready to give birth:-) It was scary and my stomach so distended and hard as a rock. Every time I got different answers. One doc gave me something called Zopiclone to help me rest and unstress....but just 10 pills as to not get addicted to them. They did help me relax I have to say. I also was on Buscopan for a while but I hated it because I had nightmares from that stuff and the other thing I didn't like was that it's an antichlorgenic med, I may have spelled that incorrectly. NOt just that , but meds that are from this group have been shown that long term could cause dementia because it works the same part of the brain. Last fall I also had RSV which I got rid of fast thankfully. But also got checked out for overactive bladder which turned out to be an incorrect diagnosis because i had a cystoscopy and all was well......and back to regular urinating. I'll never understand that one because I wasn't overactive for "spasming" like this is said to be "spasming" And it too I was on Oxybutinin Chloride for a few months which is a horrible med. I hate I was put on that for nothing. Sometimes I think maybe that spurred this on I just don't know.

However I will say that since of the regimen I have my "burp" reflex back. Throughout the regimen I had gas bubbles in my chest I could not get out at all.........horrible. Today I noticed it returned somewhat so that was most welcome to say the least. Trapped gas is the worst. I do seem to notice that gas at both ends aren't somehow what they were but now that I"m off the regimen maybe that will get normal again. I am so relieved to find this forum. I so know how frustrating and stress/angst kind of depressing this thing is. Thanks for letting me chime in. Any tips or ideas or whatever......please let me know. Thks so much.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.